DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lanyard? (Neck strap?) Suggestions?

SW_Drone_Guy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey everyone. I've been thinking of using a lanyard on my Mavic Mini controller. I've seen some for sale and I've got a couple of throw- away's that were given out at conferences for name badges. But how should they attach to the controller without blocking the view of the phone? Suggestions? And, if you use one, why?

Loops around the metal arms of the inbuilt phone holder attached to a camera neck strap is one idea and the basis of some lanyards on offer on the likes of ebay. However I am not sure I like the idea of 'string' holding the controller and phone.

Others offer a clip that goes around the controller body. I like that idea but am not sure if the ones for the Mavic Mini controller clip on from below or from above the controller, if the latter I'd be concerned about the possibility of it 'pulling off'
I am currently considering the likes of DJI Mavic Pro Mini 2 Zoom Air Spark Remote Controller Drone Accessories Parts TI | eBay
Of course it you go with an adjustable phone holder (raised) all sorts of opportunities open up

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
I have just used a long piece of black shock cord and have it permanently threaded round the arms and behind the phone in like a big circle and just hang it round my neck with the controller hanging like a pair of binoculars. Just make sure you have a really good knot on the shock cord!

I got this that solves 2 problems at once

I use that - it’s great when you need both hands you just let the controller hang. I use it to hand launch and catch

I prefer a camera strap just attached on each grip rather than at a single point. For me it keeps the controller/mobile device level and not swinging. Also it's balanced to hang down or horizontally so I can view the screen even with one or no hands and doesn't block my view of the screen.

Here's a setup with an additional velcro strap to attach the mini that I sometimes use for hiking.

MM_2816.jpg MM_2826.jpg

I just got these recently from ali express

#Aliexpress C$ 3.70 32%OFF | Shoulder Sling Belt Remote Controller Lanyard Portable Black Accessories Rope Hanging Strap With Buckle For DJI MAVIC MINI Drone

I like it very much as it is very minimal and the attachment points are at the bottom sides, which are great for not obstructing the phone when flying the drone

I just got these recently from ali express

#Aliexpress C$ 3.70 32%OFF | Shoulder Sling Belt Remote Controller Lanyard Portable Black Accessories Rope Hanging Strap With Buckle For DJI MAVIC MINI Drone

I like it very much as it is very minimal and the attachment points are at the bottom sides, which are great for not obstructing the phone when flying the drone
I ordered. By the time it gets here, there will probably be a MM99! (g)

Thanks everyone. Hmmmm... Which option do I like best ? ? ? ?
Happy flying

" I use this one on my Mavic Mini controller. .........." Awaiting delivery of one of those, what material is the actual bracket?

I use this one on my Mavic Mini controller. It cost $3 on eBay. The bracket fits between the phone and the controller. Works great.
I just ordered one of those from Amazon since I was ordering several other things as well. Slightly more $ but supposed to arrive by tomorrow - eBay ones that I could find all come from overseas and won't arrive for 1-2 months.
I already have an account with Amazon, but don't with aliexpress.
I might prefer another type of lanyard, (like Kingpin and ff22 suggested) but I'll give this one a try first.
Thanks all and happy flying.

Reactions: ff22
Here's the ultimate neck strap - something I used back in the 80's for RC - and it definitely helps hand launching and recovery.

Attachments

• RemoteHolster2.JPG
    RemoteHolster2.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 29
  • RemoteHolster3.JPG
    RemoteHolster3.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 29
  • RemoteHolster4.JPG
    RemoteHolster4.JPG
    563.4 KB · Views: 26
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals