DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Large birds in my area. Does the reflective tape work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryDoug

Reactions
We have a lot of large birds around my area at the mouth of a river on the Gulf of Mexico. They are mostly bald eagles, ospreys and pelicans. The pelicans are not very aggressive or territorial but do get in the way sometimes, not being used to seeing a stupid little "bird" that does not yield the avian right-of-way ;-). The others are a different matter. The eagles and ospreys get into a lot of fights to protect their territory. Usually the ospreys win because they team up on the larger solitary eagle. All of these birds are bigger than my Mini. After about 50 flights, I have not had any issues; but it is winter and I expect the birds to be more active later in the year. I have read that reflective tape can help and have outfitted my mini with some (see avatar). I tried to keep it out of the camera's view field. Does anyone have any idea if this actually works to deter bird strikes? Thanks.

p.s. It does help to be able to see this tiny drone from far away, so I guess that is some benefit.

Reactions: Dbez1
Great idea...even if just from a visibility stand point. Need someone much more technical than me to answer my concern:

Could this mod possibly interfere with the antenna/GPS or any other signals coming to and from the MM ?

I ask because of the material and reflective material/properties of the tape.

Reactions: GaryDoug
Great idea...even if just from a visibility stand point. Need someone much more technical than me to answer my concern:

Could this mod possibly interfere with the antenna/GPS or any other signals coming to and from the MM ?

I ask because of the material and reflective material/properties of the tape.

Good question. I haven't flown yet after adding the tape. I wonder if when flying over water, the small amount of tape on the bottom, 2 very narrow strips, could affect the visual sensor. The material is not metalic, so I doubt there are any other ill effects. But, time will tell.

Ouch. I accidentally created two identical topics, because this one did not show up right away and I assumed that it failed to upload. Moderators can remove this one if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15