DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Large group photo in a Convention Hall

I have been asked to take a large (2000 subjects) group photo in a convention ballroom. I have a Mavic 3 Pro. Any suggestions?
Do you need to do it with a drone?
If you had access to a suitable step ladder, you would probably get better results and do it easier with a conventional camera.

If you use a drone, you'll probably have difficulty getting GPS reception indoors which could create a few issues to deal with.
If you have poor GPS and the floor and/or lighting is unsuitable for VPS, you would be flying without horizontal position holding.
The drone would handle differently and have no "brakes", so you would have to be very gentle on the sticks.

In the situation described above, you would also have a height limit of 16 ft with VPS sensors enabled or 100 ft with the VPS disabled.

I think I would use a "manlift" or "scissorlift" from a rental company. Meta4 has some good points about being indoors.
You can get a lift and some plywood to drive on ( to avoid damage). they have lifts that will easily fit thru doors.

Reactions: wpollard42
Do you need to do it with a drone?
If you had access to a suitable step ladder, you would probably get better results and do it easier with a conventional camera.

If you use a drone, you'll probably have difficulty getting GPS reception indoors which could create a few issues to deal with.
If you have poor GPS and the floor and/or lighting is unsuitable for VPS, you would be flying without horizontal position holding.
The drone would handle differently and have no "brakes", so you would have to be very gentle on the sticks.

In the situation described above, you would also have a height limit of 16 ft with VPS sensors enabled or 100 ft with the VPS disabled.
Thanks for your response. No I don't have to use a drone but it was suggested. I have Nikon Z 9 and Z8. I agree a camera would be better. I just think its unreasonable to ask for a photo of 2 to 3 thousands folks in an convention hall.
Since drone photography was an option I wanted to get some input from experienced folks like you.

Thanks.

I would you do it with a camera?

I have taken group photos indoors for 500 people but never 2k plus.

Nightmare scenario. Lighting? Perspective? front to back focus?
Outdoor parking lot with camera on top floor would help a great deal. Or everyone in the bleachers of a football stadium.
Thank your stars you have a 45megapixel camera. Wide enough lens?

Reactions: Meta4
Thanks for your response. No I don't have to use a drone but it was suggested. I have Nikon Z 9 and Z8. I agree a camera would be better. I just think its unreasonable to ask for a photo of 2 to 3 thousands folks in an convention hall.
Since drone photography was an option I wanted to get some input from experienced folks like you.

Thanks.

I would you do it with a camera?

I have taken group photos indoors for 500 people but never 2k plus.
I would use the drone, if the lighting is good and you can get visual positioning, you should be fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe