DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Largest SD Card for a Mavic 2 Pro

Uno

Reactions
I searched and found several SD card threads about speed and brand. I checked the manual and it recommends 128gb as the largest but says it supports larger. Will a 256gb or 512gb V30 card work and if they will work why are they not recommended?

People give me flak for using my 128GB cards (when they use 64 and 32GB).

But I think you'll find it hard to fill up anything larger than a 128GB, even after several flights (2-3 batteries). And if you do want to shoot more, you could always take out the 128GB and put in another 128GB (this would cover the scenario that PhiliusFoggg mentioned in post #2).

But no, I have not used a 256GB or higher.

Chris

Reactions: Uno
People give me flak for using my 128GB cards (when they use 64 and 32GB).

But I think you'll find it hard to fill up anything larger than a 128GB, even after several flights (2-3 batteries). And if you do want to shoot more, you could always take out the 128GB and put in another 128GB (this would cover the scenario that PhiliusFoggg mentioned in post #2).

But no, I have not used a 256GB or higher.

Chris
Chris,

Thanks for the response. I currently have two 128gb extreme pro cards but I use similar cards in my dash cam and reverse camera in my truck. I was thinking about trying a 256gb or 512gb just to see what happens. If they record fine I wouldn't see any reason not to run them, if you lose the drone the cost of a card is minimal. :)

Max

, if you lose the drone the cost of a card is minimal. :)
When people have suggested smaller cards are more sensible I have yet to see any of them mention the cost of the card as motivation.
Most people seem more concerned about the contents being irreplacable.
You can't so very easily lose a dashcam card and yes, I have one, and in there I have 128G and have done so for more than a year but a drone could be lost.

Reversing the question, what's the point of, or the argument for, a HUGE capacity card?

post #2 perhaps?
To me that isn't an issue. I back everything up on a regular basis. On the PC I'm on I have 16tb of data storage. Do I need it, no but I have it just the same. What if I wanted to not empty my card every time I fly and I have different homes with different PC's that I want to keep the data on the cards so I can unload them at multiple locations for storage. After all sending files that size and storing them on the net isn't practical.

So the question remains, does the 256gb work and does the 512gb work? I assume someone has tried.

Maybe someone tried a 256GB, but it would be a waste of space and money to use a 512GB for use in a drone so very few if any would have tried it. Even the 256GB is a waste. A single flight will not come near filling either of those even at the highest resolution.

How about getting one and try it yourself?

I have an M2P and keep a Sandisk Extreme 64GB card in it. I caught a really good sale at Costco for a pair of 128 Extremes that I couldn’t pass up. But honestly I’ve never filled my 64! I’ve flown 3 batteries and have the video running almost constantly (at 4K) and when shooting stills I shoot RAW+Jpg and still never come close to filling it. I guess if you just want a really big card to keep adding to while backing it up along the way, have at it. But to me, that’s a lot to manage (unless of course you’re organizing your files into folders as you go, which I’m sure you do). To each his (or her) own I guess. We all have to do what’s comfortable for us.

When I purchased my M2P from Best Buy, the deal included an extra battery and a 256 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro card. It works perfectly, and yes, I download after every session so no additional danger of losing stuff.
Thank you for your input. That was all I wanted to know was if the larger cards functioned. I did order a 512gb V30 Extreme pro to see if it would read and function.

Just to update the 512 cards work fine. They do however show remaining video time at 9 hours and 59 minutes continuously. Im certain that as the card fills up the time will eventually catch up to that limit.

I went out and bought a scan disk extreme 128 and flew my drone, the camera on video is still glitchy, why?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair