DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Latest project- up for discussion

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Last week I had an opportunity to get out and film this area and thought with the changing colors it might be a now or never situation. I had my daughter in tow for VO along with my grandson who was mega-patient... but only for about 20 minutes in which all the footage was captured! I had never set foot on the grounds before and can see after the fact that I missed one or two things that shoulda/coulda been additional points of interest. If I have a chance and the weather breaks I might take another run to get some additional footage. Again... all the shooting was done in 20 minutes.

I also used this project to further my experience in Davinci Resolve and learned a ton of stuff which really sped me through the basic edit including color grading. I might have oversaturated the clips a bit, but it was intentional... because it's fall and after all the colors are what makes it interesting. The three things I came away with, which I think are huge are; learning to use the CUT page. This REALLY cut my initial editing time down significantly. Understanding that I can fly through the initial edit with the "source tape" view and navigate with the J,K and L keys, I and O, followed by shift-F12 was huge. I also just learned about using adjustment clips, which I used for the opening. I took some time to do some refinement, but the first basic edit was done in roughly 2 hours. Like always, I keep seeing things (after rendering, of course o_O) and came back for two more whack before letting anyone see it.

And so without further adieu...

Last edited:
Nice location and smooth flying. Really enjoyed that. I use Resolve also and I'm a big fan of the shortcut keys.

Thanks. There are some things I missed so I hope to get some weather to go back for a few more clips. I learned a lot more about Resolve on this project, particularly how to get things done much faster in the initial stages of the project. It's the first 4k rendering that I've done. And to be honest, it wasn't any slower rendering than the 1080p, and it seemed like the scrubbing was smoother without generating optimized media. I can't say why about that, but happy that previewing was smoother.

One thing that I hadn't realized is that while I knew that J and L could scrub backwards and forwards, I didn't realize that pressing them multiple times accerlerates the scrubbing. So helpful to be able to go from 1x to very fast. Then the arrow keys can scrub frame by frame. That was really helpful. I needed a new keyboard anyway, so I bought the color coded one from B&H for $129. Other than being a wired keyboard it's really nice. Backlit keys and easy to find key strokes.

The Cut page became simple, when I realized that I could use J,K and L to scrub through the project while in the "Source Tape" mode. While scrubbing through hit "I" for in, "O" for out, then shift-F12 to throw that portion of the clip into the timeline at the end (tutorials use the word "append" which I didn't grasp what that was for a bit). This was MUCH faster than trying to sort through things in the Edit page.

One of the big learning take-aways is learning to "grab stills" to use for copying color grading to subsequent clips. The one thing I want to learn now is how to create my own LUTs after color grading.

Davinci Resolve continues to amaze me at how powerful it is. I only hope that I can get one or two more missions in before the leaves are gone.

Last week I had an opportunity to get out and film this area and thought with the changing colors it might be a now or never situation. I had my daughter in tow for VO along with my grandson who was mega-patient... but only for about 20 minutes in which all the footage was captured! I had never set foot on the grounds before and can see after the fact that I missed one or two things that shoulda/coulda been additional points of interest. If I have a chance and the weather breaks I might take another run to get some additional footage. Again... all the shooting was done in 20 minutes.

I also used this project to further my experience in Davinci Resolve and learned a ton of stuff which really sped me through the basic edit including color grading. I might have oversaturated the clips a bit, but it was intentional... because it's fall and after all the colors are what makes it interesting. The three things I came away with, which I think are huge are; learning to use the CUT page. This REALLY cut my initial editing time down significantly. Understanding that I can fly through the initial edit with the "source tape" view and navigate with the J,K and L keys, I and O, followed by shift-F12 was huge. I also just learned about using adjustment clips, which I used for the opening. I took some time to do some refinement, but the first basic edit was done in roughly 2 hours. Like always, I keep seeing things (after rendering, of course o_O) and came back for two more whack before letting anyone see it.

And so without further adieu...

Nice video and in general good colors. My findings about your video (I'm being very critic, writting most of the things I see)

- First scene is a little bit blury when drone goes down. Do you know that in edit tab, inspector, you can adjust retime and scaling frames on each clip. If you don´t know, I suggest you try with these settings:

1603131786818.png

On second scene, drone movement is too fast sometimes and not continuous. You can try to stabilize the scene on color tab. In that scene I sugest you to try with these settings:

1603131953138.png

At 0:19 I see a car going backwards: it doesn´t lokks very good so my suggestions is not reverse any scene with things that indicate that you have done so (cars, water, people walking, ...)
Again, drone movement is not continous (you can try to fix with stabilization)

0:28. lighthouse is tilted. You can rotate the scene on edit tab and make zoom to fix black borders
You have to increase white balance to make light looks as on the first scenes
Also, there are some artifacts on trees behind the lighthouse
Again, drome movement is not continous (you can try to fix with stabilization)

0:39 Sky is burnt so it cannot be fixed but you can try to drecease highs
I see barrel effect on the scene. You have to correct it on edit tab

1603132485359.png

White balance is different from previous scenes
Shadows are bluish

0:49 why you make a transition to go to the same place / scene?8decrease them a little bit)
Again tilted, white balance, shadows, drone movement and lows too deep

I see more or less the same issues on the rest of the scenes

For my taste, the video is too repetitive and what I'm missing is to see the place from a far distance, different altitudes, a different spot than the lighthouse, ...

Please do not be offended by my comments, I hope they will help you to improve your video and the following ones

Nice video and in general good colors. My findings about your video (I'm being very critic, writting most of the things I see)

- First scene is a little bit blury when drone goes down. Do you know that in edit tab, inspector, you can adjust retime and scaling frames on each clip. If you don´t know, I suggest you try with these settings:

View attachment 115402

On second scene, drone movement is too fast sometimes and not continuous. You can try to stabilize the scene on color tab. In that scene I sugest you to try with these settings:

View attachment 115403

At 0:19 I see a car going backwards: it doesn´t lokks very good so my suggestions is not reverse any scene with things that indicate that you have done so (cars, water, people walking, ...)
Again, drone movement is not continous (you can try to fix with stabilization)

0:28. lighthouse is tilted. You can rotate the scene on edit tab and make zoom to fix black borders
You have to increase white balance to make light looks as on the first scenes
Also, there are some artifacts on trees behind the lighthouse
Again, drome movement is not continous (you can try to fix with stabilization)

0:39 Sky is burnt so it cannot be fixed but you can try to drecease highs
I see barrel effect on the scene. You have to correct it on edit tab

View attachment 115404

White balance is different from previous scenes
Shadows are bluish

0:49 why you make a transition to go to the same place / scene?8decrease them a little bit)
Again tilted, white balance, shadows, drone movement and lows too deep

I see more or less the same issues on the rest of the scenes

For my taste, the video is too repetitive and what I'm missing is to see the place from a far distance, different altitudes, a different spot than the lighthouse, ...

Please do not be offended by my comments, I hope they will help you to improve your video and the following ones

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, this one was pretty crap. I've got to hunt for more areas of interest and try again. Many things I knew already, particularly the repetitiveness. I was hoping to go back today for more footage as they predicted sunshine, but cold. Hopefully I'll catch a break in the next few days and get to fly. While not looking for excuses, the whole filming was done in 20 minutes start to finish with no pre-inspection. I probably wouldn't have posted it except for the Davinci Resolve aspect of being able to get it up in record time (for me).

I had to laugh because I didn't notice the car moving backwards... duh. Hopefully I can come up with something better.

For 20 minutes of filming and no pre-inspection, I think you did an excellent job. Well done. ??

I’m keen to see the quality of video you produce with a more time and planning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000