DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning to Fly

I wasn't going to chime in on this thread, but well..sorry for the loss of your first RPA. At least it wasn't an I2..
But what I really want to know is who signed off on your certificate to fly a drone??
Its just coz I need working at heights, confined spaces and tractor trailer endorsements signed off on...

Hi,

I got my certificate the other day and I was about to order a Mavic Air just hours ago, but then I realized I'd never read a word about learning to fly a drone. I also remember a few people who crashed theirs. So, before I spend a $1K on a drone and crash it on day one, can you give me some tips and share your experiences? Does it make any sense to buy a $50 "toy" so if I crash it won't be a big deal. My thing with this idea is that a toy is a toy and even the best pilot can't do what the drone isn't capable of.

Thanks a lot!

1) Don't even think about flying a Mavic until you've read, and understood, every word of the manual -- the thick one that you can download from the DJI website

2) Fly in Beginner's Mode until you feel thoroughly comfortable controlling the aircraft with the sticks; note that with the Mavic Pro -- don't know re the Air -- you can select from three possible combinations of stick settings, or even customize a setting, if you wish.

1), or even customize a setting, if you wish.
Hey daisy-girl, sorry for a quick OT, but how do you customize the controller? I answered a thread about this today, and even though there is a 'custom' setting, its then called 'mode 3' and I couldnt see how to change anything?
Sorry OP to hijack a bit.
Orig here: Setting own control mode

Hey daisy-girl, sorry for a quick OT, but how do you customize the controller? I answered a thread about this today, and even though there is a 'custom' setting, its then called 'mode 3' and I couldnt see how to change anything?
Sorry OP to hijack a bit.
Orig here: Setting own control mode

With FW 01.03.1000, there are three modes to select from, plus a Custom mode. I'm happy with Mode 3, so I've never investigated the Custom option. I'll look into that the next time I fly.

With FW 01.03.1000, there are three modes to select from, plus a Custom mode. I'm happy with Mode 3, so I've never investigated the Custom option. I'll look into that the next time I fly.
Hmm if you could look a little further, or reply in the other thread, it would be appreciated.

I wasn't going to chime in on this thread, but well..sorry for the loss of your first RPA. At least it wasn't an I2..
But what I really want to know is who signed off on your certificate to fly a drone??
Its just coz I need working at heights, confined spaces and tractor trailer endorsements signed off on...

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this certificate. A few people have kind of ridiculed me for having a certificate but not having flown a drone.

To legally fly a drone in the US for commercial purposes, you first have to take FAA exam called Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Drone Knowledge Test. Here is where you start. If you are a hobbyist, then you do not need to bother with this, but there are still of course rules you have to follow. This is the official FAA study guide. And there are more books you'll need. For the type of questions (these are actual questions in the exam), check here and here. Attached is my temporary certificate, called "Airman Certificate".

As it relates to you, Simmo, no one can sign off on anything. Again, the key determinant here is for what purpose you fly the drone Is it for fun? If yes, then you do not need this certificate. Are you taking photos of recording video and charging someone for this? If yes, then you do need the certificate. You go to an FAA certified facility, usually, a flight school, pay $150+ and if you get 80% of the 60 questions right, you've passed. Now you can legally fly a drone for commercial purposes.

Another caveat here; say you do not have a certificate but you want to fly a drone commercially? Have a person who has one stand a few feet away from you and watch your every step, so they can grab the RC and save the day.

Attachments

• airman_certificate.jpg
    airman_certificate.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Simmo
Thanks for the explanation mate. It still baffles me though. Sort of like the cart before the horse.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this certificate. A few people have kind of ridiculed me for having a certificate but not having flown a drone.

To legally fly a drone in the US for commercial purposes, you first have to take FAA exam called Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Drone Knowledge Test. Here is where you start. If you are a hobbyist, then you do not need to bother with this, but there are still of course rules you have to follow. This is the official FAA study guide. And there are more books you'll need. For the type of questions (these are actual questions in the exam), check here and here. Attached is my temporary certificate, called "Airman Certificate".

As it relates to you, Simmo, no one can sign off on anything. Again, the key determinant here is for what purpose you fly the drone Is it for fun? If yes, then you do not need this certificate. Are you taking photos of recording video and charging someone for this? If yes, then you do need the certificate. You go to an FAA certified facility, usually, a flight school, pay $150+ and if you get 80% of the 60 questions right, you've passed. Now you can legally fly a drone for commercial purposes.

Another caveat here; say you do not have a certificate but you want to fly a drone commercially? Have a person who has one stand a few feet away from you and watch your every step, so they can grab the RC and save the day.

The certificate that you got is called part 107. You want to fly for commercial purposes even though you don't even know how to fly a drone?

With the Mavic prices dropping as much as they are, you could almost get two, one to practice with and one to put away for later use:)!

If you have a teen getting ready to to drive, I recommend you buy them a battery powered Barbie car first so they can learn how to drive the real thing . . . or if you want a pilot's license, you should hit up the Dumbo ride at Disney world first.

What a stupid comparison. If my son was learning to drive, he isn’t getting straight into my Mercedes. Kid will learn in a Honda Civic first.

Thanks for the explanation mate. It still baffles me though. Sort of like the cart before the horse.

The certificate that you got is called part 107. You want to fly for commercial purposes even though you don't even know how to fly a drone?

Part 107 is not the name of the certificate. The name of the certificate is "Airman Certificate". I even attached it to my previous comment. Part 107 is a set of (FAA) rules for non-hobbyist small unmanned aircraft (UAS) operations.

I never said I was going to fly a drone commercially before I knew how to fly. That is my end goal. I just got a certificate first, which, for whatever reason, is a great source of amusement and confusion. I'd like to understand in which way passing 107 first prevents me from learning to fly a drone? Or does it make me perhaps better fit for some aspects of flying, assuming I am not a complete idiot but an average person? Or, how would learning to fly a drone first, then take the exam make me a better pilot?

Remember how when you got your drivers license you had to pass the knowledge test before you could take the drive test? It's the same thing, except that there is no fly test. Why the FAA chooses to ask non-hobbyists for a certificate and not hobbyists, even though we both are allowed to do the same thing with our drones (with the exceptions that certain waivers give to some non-hobbyists), that is not a question for me.

It sort of makes a joke of your Part 107 certifications really IMO.

I can handle that. I'm a big boy ;-). I tried to explain in the above post a bit more. If that isn't enough, well, f*uk it. I just wanted some help. My intention certainly wasn't to brag about having a **** piece of paper.

Cheers, Wayne..
I'll look again, but I'm sure I had mode 1,2 and custom.
Prolly old age creepin' in and new glasses required....
Thanks.

Part 107 is not the name of the certificate. The name of the certificate is "Airman Certificate". I even attached it to my previous comment. Part 107 is a set of (FAA) rules for non-hobbyist small unmanned aircraft (UAS) operations.

I never said I was going to fly a drone commercially before I knew how to fly. That is my end goal. I just got a certificate first, which, for whatever reason, is a great source of amusement and confusion. I'd like to understand in which way passing 107 first prevents me from learning to fly a drone? Or does it make me perhaps better fit for some aspects of flying, assuming I am not a complete idiot but an average person? Or, how would learning to fly a drone first, then take the exam make me a better pilot?

Remember how when you got your drivers license you had to pass the knowledge test before you could take the drive test? It's the same thing, except that there is no fly test. Why the FAA chooses to ask non-hobbyists for a certificate and not hobbyists, even though we both are allowed to do the same thing with our drones (with the exceptions that certain waivers give to some non-hobbyists), that is not a question for me.

Passing your 107 before learning to fly te drone is perfectly fine. I just find it ambitious that you're already thinking about selling your stuff even though you have no experience with drones yet. It's like setting up an auto repair shop even though you don't know how to repair cars yet. Good luck with your Mavic and I'm sure you're gonna be a good pilot

Passing your 107 before learning to fly te drone is perfectly fine. I just find it ambitious that you're already thinking about selling your stuff even though you have no experience with drones yet. It's like setting up an auto repair shop even though you don't know how to repair cars yet. Good luck with your Mavic and I'm sure you're gonna be a good pilot

My whole idea is about selling this stuff. Most of you guys here love flying for one reason or another. I’m a photographer/videographer by profession, and the reason I am doing this is because that’s what the market forces us to do. Another tool in the belt that helps us stay competitive. If I don’t want to do it, I have to hire someone, which is fine, but most clients won’t pay decent money for quality work, so for the money most clients will pay you can only get people who may know how to fly, but don’t understand the video and photography. Or the other way around.

So, I’m not trying to learn to fly for no reason or because I enjoy it (it is fun for sure now that I am actually learning how to do it). I got a Mavic Air and I fly it most days of the week for an hour and I love it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReDRuM702