DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Leave battery hub out of bag for auto discharging?

Drony_Drone

Reactions
Coming from a mini 1, where the batteries didn't auto discharge, I used to discharge myself to around 50%, I read on DJI that the mini 2 auto discharge the batteries, and can take 4hrs to do and generate heat.

So my question is, do you leave the 3 batteries in the hub, but not inside the bag, as I normally keep all together. Is it recorded to keep the batteries and hit out of the bag in free space for the heat?

Are these batteries safe to leave and manage themselves? I think I remember that older batteries of drones should be kept in special bags for fire etc? is this needed?

thanks

Watch the below video. Mine auto discharges after 1-2 weeks and I leave them in the charging hub. Last full charge 5 days ago just checked and now at 92%
I haven’t noticed any heat at all I leave all my accessories in the bag.

The BMS type batteries like DJI supply are pretty safe for auto discharge.
They get warm to touch during this process.

I have an M1P, stays in a LowePro drone backpack after flight, always auto discharge up to 6 batteries in that no problems in 5 years.
Also my Spark, 5 batteries, auto discharge 3in the charging station and 2 other drone bag pocket, again nearly 5 years.

Yes, other type lipos need really careful use, the soft pack type FPV type mostly, with no 'smarts'.

Good info thanks and glad it’s been fixed. I used to keep my Mini 1 at around 2-3 LEDs, but awkward to have to discharge myself.

So is it safe though to leave the battery hub with batteries inside it inside the bag, I imagine when it’s discharging it will generate heat. So probably best to leave out of the bag in air?

Doesn't hurt to buy a $15 lipo battery bag from Amazon. While I've never had an issue with batteries you only have to have it happen once to be sorry. :) Like Oz said, not so much a problem with newer DJI ones, but if you have any FPV or CineWhoop drones, those batteries are a little less reliable IMHO.