DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Left stick modification

gslibey

Reactions
Hey guys, is there any way to modify how the left stick works? I flew real airplanes and model rc planes and the left stick was pull back for nose up (gain altitude) and stick forward for nose down (loose altitude). The drone is opposite - push the stick forward to gain altitude and pull back to loose altitude. Can this be modified in the software? I do now want to get inside the transmitter.
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: nhgill960
The left stick for a drone is self centering, while an rc plane isn’t. There isn’t going to be a way to modify anything to make them similar. I currently fly both drones and rc planes. In all honesty, you will probably just have to learn to fly a drone differently then an rc plane. I totally see where you are coming from, but drones and rc planes just have different controls.

Hey guys, is there any way to modify how the left stick works? I flew real airplanes and model rc planes and the left stick was pull back for nose up (gain altitude) and stick forward for nose down (loose altitude). The drone is opposite - push the stick forward to gain altitude and pull back to loose altitude. Can this be modified in the software? I do now want to get inside the transmitter.
Thanks for your help.
Yes you can change how the sticks work in the app, it has four choices, Modes 1, 2, 3 and Custom. Just slide the arrows around to change the output action.Stick Setup.jpg

The thing is, for quad copters, left stick is throttle, which is mainly what controls altitude. For fixed wing, it's elevators that pitch the plane nose up.
Quads that don't have height stabilization strictly use that stick for actual throttle, and are not self-centering.

I fly real planes as well as RC also and found the transition fairly easy. I remember my flight instructor telling me over and over "Throttle is altitude and elevator is attitude". So in a real plane you always increases throttle to gain altitude, you do not pull back on the elevator. So left stick is throttle and moving it forward increases altitude both on drones and real planes. The right stick on a quad is exactly the same as the joystick on a plane, pitch and roll. The only issue with drones is that the right stick is being used for forward motion, and it is a bit different, but in reality it does cause the drone to pitch forward and thus increase speed. I had the same concerns 4 months ago when I first flew a drone but found it really easy to transition. The fact that these drones just sit and hover in place when you release the sticks make them extremely easy to fly.

Reactions: nhgill960
I finally got a chance to fly my mini yesterday. I tried to change the left stick using the stick mode. I could get forward stick to descend and back stick to ascend, but then the right stick Is left turn, and left sick is a right turn. Any idea of how I can change ascend/descend without changing turns? I fussed with it for quite a while without success. Must be a trick of some sort I haven't figured out yet.
Thanks,
George

I fly real planes as well as RC also and found the transition fairly easy. I remember my flight instructor telling me over and over "Throttle is altitude and elevator is attitude". So in a real plane you always increases throttle to gain altitude, you do not pull back on the elevator. So left stick is throttle and moving it forward increases altitude both on drones and real planes. The right stick on a quad is exactly the same as the joystick on a plane, pitch and roll. The only issue with drones is that the right stick is being used for forward motion, and it is a bit different, but in reality it does cause the drone to pitch forward and thus increase speed. I had the same concerns 4 months ago when I first flew a drone but found it really easy to transition. The fact that these drones just sit and hover in place when you release the sticks make them extremely easy to fly.

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. I also flew (many years ago) the F-4 phantom. When conducting ACM (aerial combat maneuvering) those rules go out the window. You want to get into firing position and usually do that by pointing the nose to where you want to be and use the throttle to get you there. Of course, when you return to base and enter the landing pattern, the old rules apply - throttle = rate of descent, angle of attack = approach speed.
It is just that my first few times flying FPV it seemed much more "intuitive" to push the stick forward to descend and pull aft to climb. I'm sure if I continue to use it in this configuration I will become accustomed. Just thought I see what it felt like to switch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrispmooney