DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lenovo Tab 4 8 keeps trying to downgrade controller connection to charge

Reactions
A new problem after several flight sessions without a problem. As of today, the Lenovo Tab 4 8 insists on treating the remote controller ONLY as a charging source,

When I tell it otherwise (use USB device as a camera PTP, or a MTP) it soon reverts to the charging source (forinstance when turning screen back on). Is there a simple way to talk sense to the Lenovo??

USB cable is with bottom large port on Remote Controller. A special USB cable advertised for connecting tablet to side RC small port did not work. I get the same error as above when using the too-short DJI RC cable for connecting tablet USB to the RC side port.

Last edited:
And you don’t have anything connected to that USB micro A port on the left side i suppose?

A new problem after several flight sessions without a problem. As of today, the Lenovo Tab 4 8 insists on treating the remote controller ONLY as a charging source,

When I tell it otherwise (use USB device as a camera PTP, or a MTP) it soon reverts to the charging source (forinstance when turning screen back on). Is there a simple way to talk sense to the Lenovo??

Yea it'll do that and no you can't change it, but the good news is no need to change it.
And yes the RC will charge the tablet while in use, again not a problem.

I would add, do not tick the box for "use by default for this usb accessory" when prompted when you first turn on the RC. Just click on "ok" going to dji go leaving that box empty each and every time.

If you haven't done so yet follow the guide here,

It will greatly enhance your experience using that device with DJI go.

I use the same tablet, it does work great but to do so it has to be setup right to handle the job.

Yea it'll do that and no you can't change it, but the good news is no need to change it.
And yes the RC will charge the tablet while in use, again not a problem.

I would add, do not tick the box for "use by default for this usb accessory" when prompted when you first turn on the RC. Just click on "ok" going to dji go leaving that box empty each and every time.

Thanks. That would explain why the RC charge goes down faster than expected. Maybe I need to mount a small power bank on it!

If you haven't done so yet follow the guide here,

It will greatly enhance your experience using that device with DJI go.

I use the same tablet, it does work great but to do so it has to be setup right to handle the job.

I did that on the inital setup for Go 4, but maybe I should run through it again

Thanks. That would explain why the RC charge goes down faster than expected. Maybe I need to mount a small power bank on it!
I have three batteries for mine and I can use all of them and have plenty of juice left in the controller. IIRC the RC battery is 40-45% after three flight batteries.

Naturally I start out with the tablet and the controller fully charged.

Yes you can power it via power pack if you want, I did at first until I figured out that it just wasn't necessary.

I just tried a 5000 mAh (Tzumi 6583 from Best Buy) and it worked great! After a long, cold (45 oF) day with repeated flights (6 x 20 minutes), the Tzumi kept the RC at 100%, the Lenovo Tab4 8 tablet was 76%, and the Tzumi still had 25% charge left. Connected to the small USB port on the RC with no problem. Also helped to better balance the controller - see my related post coming up.

Last edited:
I checked again and was successful. I suggest connecting the charge connection before connecting anything else.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803