DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson Learned - How to NOT catch your drone

Pictures are after I cleaned off the blood! I tried to get the drone while the drone was below me. Its probably better to grab it when the drone is ABOVE you so that you don't get your hand in the way.

View attachment 103113View attachment 103112

Looks worse than it felt honestly.

Yep, when hand-catching you want it to drop down into your palm/open hand.

They look like numerous paper cuts, and I know how even one feels, so I empathize with you, Bro. Tomorrow’s a different day so hopefully you’ll be out flying again!

They look like numerous paper cuts, and I know how even one feels, so I empathize with you, Bro. Tomorrow’s a different day so hopefully you’ll be out flying again!
it really wasn't that bad actually but thanks for your concern. tomorrow is kayaking! but i'll definitely be out and flying soon enough. hopefully i'll learn my lesson and not try to catch the drone below my head.

it really wasn't that bad actually but thanks for your concern. tomorrow is kayaking! but i'll definitely be out and flying soon enough. hopefully i'll learn my lesson and not try to catch the drone below my head.
I started using a leather glove on my catching hand. I also curl my ring and pinkie finger in, or my pinkie finger is likely to get nipped.

Pictures are after I cleaned off the blood! I tried to get the drone while the drone was below me. Its probably better to grab it when the drone is ABOVE you so that you don't get your hand in the way.

View attachment 103113View attachment 103112

There are several very nice videos on You Tube of how to hand catch a drone. Check them out. I prefer to land on my landing pad ("H"), but in situations where this is not possible, I wanted to learned to hand catch the drone. I prefer not to do it unless I absolutely need to do it because the ground surface is not suitable (sand, irregular rocky surface, slanted trail, high grass, etc.).

Last edited:
There are several very nice videos on You Tube of how to hand catch a drone. Check them out. I prefer to land on my landing pad ("H"), but in situations where this is not possible, I wanted to learned to hadn't catch the drone. I prefer not to do it unless I absolutely need to do it because the ground surface is not suitable (sand, irregular rocky surface, slanted trail, high grass, etc.).
Yes i should have looked at Youtube before attempting. I had never tired to catch it with my hand before. I tried this time because the area was very rocky and was worried about the camera hitting rocks in uneven surface. now that i have looked at youtube, i should practice a few times.

Wait for the bruising to show up. Don't ask how I know.....

Since then I've gotten very comfortable having my M2P "land" onto my right hand. Thumb, first and middle fingers only. It's gentler on the bird, and it seems like I don't have to re-calibrate the IMU's as often, hmmm.

That is something I have no desire to even try.
I agree with your concern for safety but what do you do if you want to fly in a narrow place where the ground is not suitable for landing? I have tried to land on a narrow trail while hiking and nearly broke the drone. Likewise I was in a narrow canyon with steeply sloping ground everywhere and not level place to land. So do you not take off there?

Reactions: Gindra
I have a Mavic Mini with props very close to the ground so I almost always hand launch and land. A few days ago I hand launched it and my drone started up then dropped a a little catching my thumb with a prop. I had never seen it drop like this before. Had a minor cut on my thumb but the drone flew right back up after clipping me. In the future I will get my hand away faster when launching.

My comments were essentially about the Mavic 2 Pro which I forced myself to learn to hand land in difficult terrain.I use landing pad 99% of the time but have successfully learned to hand land if the ground cannot support the landing pad. I cannot at all comment on the others (Mavic Air 2 or Mini).

I get the Mavic Air 2 down to a comfortably shoulder or slightly less angle and just let it hover. I approach it from an angle, hold my hand out in the popular panhand gesture and throttle it back gently. Simple.. you get into trouble when you have to reach up for it.
That hand looks painful...It reminds me of when I stupidly tried to fly my Spark with hand gestures in the house with out the slightest clue of what I was doing. I had to grab the Spark out of the sky when it started heading for a doorway..so...I feel your pain :(

Reactions: Ynksfan27
Trying to fly a spark inside with hand gestures is balls of titanium.
REMEMBER, ALWAYS HAND LAND WELL ABOVE HEAD HEIGHT. YOU HAVE LOTS OF FINGERS, BUT YOUR EYES DON'T WORK SO WELL AFTER BEING SLICED.

Wow, that looks painful! As a guitarist, I try to look out for my fingers. My mini has never touched the ground since I always use hand launch and recovery, but I'm very mindful of the consequences if not paying attention. I've used the "landing" icon on left of screen in the past, but now that I have the "hands free" remote carrier, I just put mini in cinesmooth mode, then use left stick to lower quad into my other hand while lady voice prompts me with a verbal "landing".

Hand caught my MA, 1st time went through my fingernail. Just for thought, box it up and send to me. I wouldn't trust it anymore.

I try to hand catch as often as possible. Hand launch also... Trying to keep the gimbal clean as a whistle.

I don't think my MA2 has taken off from, or landed on, the ground yet.
You find the MA2 super easy to hand-catch? I think it is because the downward sensor does not activate until object is .5 m away. So if you hover and reach for it, the lower obstacle avoidance sensor does not activate & you just reach & grab it (down on left stick to kill motors)

Reactions: Ynksfan27
I try to hand catch as often as possible. Hand launch also... Trying to keep the gimbal clean as a whistle.

I don't think my MA2 has taken off from, or landed on, the ground yet.
Sadly, I was not thinking clearly, not paying attention, volume down on my phone, and it landed in the grass just now

(Don't everybody freak out now, my 2 year old needed some more juice, I set the controller down long enough to open the apple juice, pour a cup, and send him on his merry way... I picked up the controller, and saw grass in the frame. Freaked out thinking bird strike, where is it?! But it was right where I was holding it when I launched from my hand.)

Reactions: Lionfish
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d