DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson Learned - How to NOT catch your drone

Pictures are after I cleaned off the blood! I tried to get the drone while the drone was below me. Its probably better to grab it when the drone is ABOVE you so that you don't get your hand in the way.

View attachment 103113View attachment 103112

Looks worse than it felt honestly.

Ive always wondered what would happen and how much damage it would cause. Yikes.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Has anyone tried to handhold the pad and land it that way? It seems like there is a smarter way to do that.

Sorry to sound a bit cynical, but the wound looks almost superficial (which is a good thing), and that is probably because it was inflicted by a plastic, foldable propeller. During my 12 years in RC hobby, I learned to never approach a plane with a running motor from the front, a multi rotor from above, and to always stay at a good distance away from anything equipped with carbon fiber props, especially single-rotor helicopters.

In general, the bigger the prop and the faster it rotates, the more damage it can inflict. But, that being equal, folding plastic props are least dangerous of all, as they usually only produce a series of relatively shallow, clean cuts. Solid props can do a lot more damage as their store more kinetic energy at the tip. Worst of all are thin carbon props, which can easily cut to the bone, then shatter and generously pepper the wound with hair-thin splinters. Don't ask how I know... And the wounds inflicted even by a relatively small single-rotor props are too gruesome to describe -- in addition to being large and CF, they usually have pieces of lead at the tips... So let us never underestimate the power of sharp rotating things.

To finish on a brighter note, we should all be glad that most Mavics have plastic, foldable props. And I hope lessons such as this must only be learned once, never to be repeated.

With my OG Air and my M2P, I used to hand catch with my index and middle fingers grabbing around the body with the thumb, but no more. My M2P deli-sliced the tip of my index finger, so now I use the flat-palm up technique when I want/need to hand catch. I bring the drone down, let it see my flat palm and raise back up slightly, but I keep holding the stick down and it comes back and settles on my palm before stopping the motors. Never had an incident since I switched to this technique, and I plan to use it when My MA2 arrives this week.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I think I can count one one hand how many times I’ve launched or landed my Mini or M2P from the ground, in fact, I don’t think I’ve ever done any ground takeoffs or landings with my M2P. I hand catch because I don’t want dirt or grass being sucked up into the innards, especially with how low these things sit on the ground. I started doing this years ago with my Phantoms after they kept tipping over on landings, and would mess up my props. I was never a fan of the the stock Phantom landing gear and was always on the lookout for aftermarket collapsible legs.

I try to hand catch as often as possible. Hand launch also... Trying to keep the gimbal clean as a whistle.

I don't think my MA2 has taken off from, or landed on, the ground yet.

Yes, keep the gimbal clean, and the camera lens too....
I have a MA2 Zoom, which comes with a gimbal protector. It's a clear plastic bubble that fits around the camera and gimbal. My MA2 Zoom came with one already attached.
I'm sure you can get one that fits your MA2.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yes, keep the gimbal clean, and the camera lens too....
I have a MA2 Zoom, which comes with a gimbal protector. It's a clear plastic bubble that fits around the camera and gimbal. My MA2 Zoom came with one already attached.
I'm sure you can get one that fits your MA2.
The MA2 comes with a gimbal protector that doesn't allow the gimbal to move. I'm sure 3rd party will come up with one soon

In spite of my videos, I do not "catch" my drone. Instead, I hover it near me and take it out of the sky.

Reactions: Order66
I've gotten my fingers struck by spinning MM props while hovering just above my floor. No cuts but felt like they got caught in a car door.

With my M2Z, I got a superficial "paper cut" on my forearm not with the motors running, but spinning due to holding it upward facing against the wind like a pinwheel.

Im on my 500th flight, every landing hand catching with my fingers. You get a nick or two in the beginning but it's not a big deal. Hurt my hands more working on the truck, a UAS bite is just a small life lesson ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twentytree