DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let me know if I am right

Chris88

Reactions
Hello everyone I am trying to get my head around this. I will be flying as a hobbyist not sure if there is a test for that. I know I am over thinking this. So I get my Mavic Air 2 I register it then I go to where I want to fly. I open AirMap and it says 400 feet and F airspace, controlled airspace advisories 1 I can get automated airspace authorization. When I get that I can fly under 400 feet? And that’s it?
Thanks for all your help Chris

you don’t need a 107 to fly hobby. You DO still have to know the rules and you’re not allowed to fly in controlled airspace, or above 400ft

If you apply for an instant waiver, you need to be licensed. You can get the waiver without being licensed, but if something goes wrong, you’re in deep Mod Removed) because to apply for the instant waiver, your information is recorded along with the request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone I am trying to get my head around this. I will be flying as a hobbyist not sure if there is a test for that. I know I am over thinking this. So I get my Mavic Air 2 I register it then I go to where I want to fly. I open AirMap and it says 400 feet and F airspace, controlled airspace advisories 1 I can get automated airspace authorization. When I get that I can fly under 400 feet? And that’s it?
Thanks for all your help Chris

Not sure what that all was above....but if you get clearance (Automated/ LAANC per AirMap) and your motors arm, then you are most certainly cleared to fly. I have never had the opportunity to fly "F" space yet. But I have used LAANC where applicable, so you most certainly CAN fly in controlled airspace as a hobbyist. :)

Last edited:
If you apply for an instant waiver, you need to be licensed. You can get the waiver without being licensed, but if something goes wrong, you’re in deep Mod Removed) because to apply for the instant waiver, your information is recorded along with the request.

I don't understand what you're saying, here. It's perfectly acceptable for a recreational flyer to get LAANC approval.

But LAANC isn't a waiver. It's an authorization. There's a fairly big difference from the FAA's perspective.

That said, 400 feet is the legal limit for recreational *and* commercial drone pilots, barring certain exceptions for the commercial pilots (being within distance of a building/tower, etc.)

Thanks that was what I was thinking. I forgot to add the screenshot. In time I will move to 107. I can't find anything about hobbyists taking a test. Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 3.32.36 AM.png

In time I will move to 107. I can't find anything about hobbyists taking a test.
Per this FAA website, a hobbyist’s test is coming but not available yet:
“Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.”

Reactions: Chris88
Yes. You can fly there. Just use Airmap to get authorization when you want to fly. Or walk to a park a block or so away where you're outside the controlled space.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut