DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's call the RAF !

AeroJ

Reactions
Just wondering for all you UK flyers here - has any of you ever contacted the RAF Safety Centre (0800 515544) to notify them about your impending UAV flights in areas where low flying stuff has been known to operate ? If so, I have some questions about how I should be providing exactly the sort of information they need, and keeping to a minimum any they don't...

1. Do you call them a few days in advance of the planned flight, knowing full well all sorts of factors could lead you to cancel or postpone on the day... or should we call them on the day of the flight, or immediately before we leave for it, when of course they have the least possible opportunity to alter their plans (if that was ever applicable) ?

2. What sort of format are they expecting for the location data ? I suspect telling them 'I'm going flying up Stoner Hill in Rogate, Hampshire tomorrow' isn't going to be an accurate enough descriptor of where I will be flying ! Do I have to give them actual take-off coordinates, or is a general area enough, and if so what format should the coordinates be in, and how do I get that out of Google maps ?! Just wondering what is the correct etiquette for defining location and range in a professional way really...

My guess for that would be to give them this sort of format (for example):

51°02'22.5"N 0°56'26.6"W​

but how would I read that out over the phone in a way that made sense (don't wanna sound a complete idiot on phone to them) ?! Would that be '51 degrees 2 ft 22.5 inches North / 0 degrees, 56 ft, 26.6 inches West' ? And what sort of possible range data should I give them and in what format ?

3. Has anyone ever called them and been told their plans can be altered to account for us, or do they merely enter it into their national / localised conflict alert system ?

Thanks

Last edited:
what format should the coordinates be in, and how do I get that out of Google maps ?
You read it straight from here:
i-N62kDGZ-M.jpg

51°02'22.5"N 0°56'26.6"W​

but how would I read that out over the phone in a way that made sense (don't wanna sound a complete idiot on phone to them) ?! Would that be '51 degrees 2 ft 22.5 inches North / 0 degrees, 56 ft, 26.6 inches West' ?
If you did that, you'd be laughed at.
There is no such thing as Degrees Feet & Inches.
It's Degrees Minutes & Seconds.

But you'd make it a lot simpler for everyone if you configured Google Earth to show the location in Degrees & Decimal Degrees.
That would make your point 52.039583° 0.939611°.

Reactions: AeroJ
You read it straight from here:
i-N62kDGZ-M.jpg

If you did that, you'd be laughed at.
There is no such thing as Degrees Feet & Inches.
It's Degrees Minutes & Seconds.

But you'd make it a lot simpler for everyone if you configured Google Earth to show the location in Degrees & Decimal Degrees.
That would make your point 52.039583° 0.939611°.
Excellent - this is exactly why I asked ! Thank you for letting me avoid 'numpty laughs' :)

It is usually reported as degrees, minutes and seconds. Never feet and inches. Controllers understand that lingo

It is usually reported as degrees, minutes and seconds.
Would anyone mind spending 2 minutes to explain to Mr Thicky over here what that actually means ?! How do minutes and seconds relate to a position ? Kinda embarrassed that I don't know this after about 10 years in the hobby ! I'd look myself if I only knew what keywords are gonna find me exactly the right info...

Would anyone mind spending 2 minutes to explain to Mr Thicky over here what that actually means ?! How do minutes and seconds relate to a position ? Kinda embarrassed that I don't know this after about 10 years in the hobby ! I'd look myself if I only knew what keywords are gonna find me exactly the right info...
Try this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Using Decimal degrees is a lot simpler and less confusing than Deg .. Min .. Sec
Very few people use Deg .. Min .. Sec these days.
But if you wanted to know what that's about 1 degree = 60 minutes and 1 minute = 60 seconds

Reactions: bassnbeau and AeroJ
As you know, the Earth is a sphere. This sphere is divided into segments so that it can be represented on a flat map. So you get grids. Each degree north or south is equal to 60 nautical miles. So every minute is 1 nautical mile because there are 60 minutes in 1 degree and every second is 100 feet because one nautical mile is equal to 6000 feet. At the equator it is the same principle for east and west, but towards the poles this similarity does not apply.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jk2024