DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's talk about video latency

Holdenfish

Reactions
I have read and boy have I read some more there are so many people with great opinions on what latency issues might arise while controlling your drone. Line of sight definitely how could it not interfere a tree in the way for sure.

Okay my tablet I use a small tablet not a fancy one but definitely not up to par with a high processor and some of the nicer tablets.
Also there's the issue of airplane mode and picture caching.

I live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico I fly in very steep terrain huge ponderosa trees many valleys anything you would expect sometimes it works great sometimes not so good but always in post things seem to work out.

I understand there's no clear cut answer anybody flying high up in the mountains have any experience I have a $200 tablet Lenovo just tell me do I need to spend more money it sure would be worth it.
Thx

I understand there's no clear cut answer anybody flying high up in the mountains have any experience I have a $200 tablet Lenovo just tell me do I need to spend more money it sure would be worth it.
There's nothing definite in your post to address, but if you are having latency issues and glitching in your video becuase your tablet isn't up to the demands of the DJI app, that would be improved by buying a modern tablet with a fast procesor and 4GB of RAM.

RAM is my sounds plausible I figured it was time for an upgrade. Galaxy here I come. Love to fly, just want to enjoy it more. LOS is my gig, just want a better experience.
Appreciate your time
From the mountains of New Mexico

I have read and boy have I read some more there are so many people with great opinions on what latency issues might arise while controlling your drone. Line of sight definitely how could it not interfere a tree in the way for sure.

Okay my tablet I use a small tablet not a fancy one but definitely not up to par with a high processor and some of the nicer tablets.
Also there's the issue of airplane mode and picture caching.

I live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico I fly in very steep terrain huge ponderosa trees many valleys anything you would expect sometimes it works great sometimes not so good but always in post things seem to work out.

Thx
No. I live in the mountains of Western NC and yes you will experience some issues, but think that is more drone to RC related than the tablet. If you are using an SD card for capture - then everything should record fine from drone to SD Card. I've never used the capture on my Lenovo M10 FHD tablet and never will - why would you?

Living where you do causes the interference you may see and that others do as well. At times, I can press the take a pic button and it may finally click 2-3 seconds later or it can be instantaneous. It still captures the picture - just the lag from RC to drone and back.

Now, if there becomes an issue when shooting video or taking pics and you are using an SD card for capture - then you want to look at the drone or SD card. Otherwise, just get used to flying and dealing with obstacles - both in flight (those tree limbs and stuff do magically reach out and grab drones) and with the delayed response when pressing buttons on the RC. If the interference is great enough, you should be getting messages from "Bitchin Betty" and on screen that loss of signal / etc is going on - then you know for a fact why the process is slow.

There's nothing definite in your post to address, but if you are having latency issues and glitching in your video becuase your tablet isn't up to the demands of the DJI app, that would be improved by buying a modern tablet with a fast procesor and 4GB of RAM.
I've got that $200 Lenovo and it works fine. The latency "I SEE" which may be different than his - is from the drone to RC signal - which in mountains / trees becomes an issue. Has NADA to do with the tablet at all, at least in my case.

Unless he describes exactly what he is experiencing - it's all speculation on our part. I described in my response to him I have same issues in the mountains of Western NC. It's not the tablet / phone. It's all the obstacles / obstructions he is flying in that cause the latency in the FEED. His videos / pics; which we assume he is saving to an SD Card are fine. Mine does the exact same thing - not all the time, but enough that I've grown used to it and keep on doing what I'm doing.

People see the same thing when flying in cities in and around large buildings. Lag due to obstructions or magnetic interference - between RC and drone. Maybe even loss of signal. He did not state if he's seen quite a bit of that, which I'd think he has in that area of flight. I surely do.

RAM is my sounds plausible I figured it was time for an upgrade. Galaxy here I come. Love to fly, just want to enjoy it more. LOS is my gig, just want a better experience.
Appreciate your time
From the mountains of New Mexico
What Lenovo tablet do you have? How old? That is key and wasting money on a possible non fix makes no sense to me. But, it is your money.

My Lenovo M10 FHD works just fine. It is about a year old and solely runs FlyApp and I clean it periodically of ALL unnecessary files as they will slow down any unit. Esp the cached video / pic files which if you fly a fair amount will be large.

Of course, you get what you pay for.
I don't think spending $200 more on a iPad over my Android (Lenovo) produces any better - so paying more does not always give you better. I'm sure my Lenovo is close to identical to the same iPads - so why spend more?

It does make sense if you go to the TripTek and NEED the "nits" versus a cheaper tablet.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stokdgenetics