DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Liability insurance in Germany/Europe

kona

Reactions
German forum members: What's a good place to get liability insurance in Germany (that is also valid in other European countries)? I know it is mandatory to have in Germany.

Thanks. Also, do you have any advice on flying in cities? My understanding is it is mostly legal except for around airports.

It's not so easy as you think ... The link here shows you what you are allowed to do or not: https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/P...drohnen-verordnung.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
Thanks. Maybe I'm misreading this but it seems unclear with respect to cities. I.e., in the graphic it shows a city depicted on the left (spaces OK for flying), but then it says on the right it says that "Wohngruendstuecke" (residential buildings?) are not OK. Do you know what's going on?

Last edited:
..Do you know what's going on?

Yes, that is one of our 'problem' we are facing... If you want to legally fly above one's property you must have the property owners signed waiver.
So, for example, if your planned flight is crossing 7 houses/properties you must have 7 signed waivers from each of them.
This is a problem for us commercial pilots.
If you are using common sense on the other hand ...

There is the loophole to this. It said if you are flying within 100m of those buildings, you are restricted. But if you fly at max altitude, 100m, you are circumventing this restriction.

Reactions: Brojon and Keule
There is the loophole to this. It said if you are flying within 100m of those buildings, you are restricted. But if you fly at max altitude, 100m, you are circumventing this restriction.

That seems impossible unless the aircraft has infenitesimal height as well as perfect elevation tracking. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

That seems impossible unless the aircraft has infenitesimal height as well as perfect elevation tracking. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
No need to quibble on the small details. Most of Germany is pretty flat.

No need to quibble on the small details. Most of Germany is pretty flat.
I can't tell if you're being serious :)
What I was trying to say is that you'll have a hard time proving that you didn't violate the law with such a small margin for of error. Now if it where 10 m margin of error, or about the accuracy of GPS, it'd be easier.

Thinking about this some more...it seems to me it is still legal to fly above cities as long as you remain above streets or parks or rivers etc and not buildings (there doesn't seem to be a horizontal distance restriction).

Last edited:
Hi,
if you're looking for an English speaking provider, check out this blog post:

Liability Insurance Germany - Haftpflichtversicherung in Germany

The provider getsafe offers liability insurances that include drones and the registration process/customer service is available in English.

Regards,
Frankie
Thanks for the information.
From what I read you can only buy insurance if you live in Germany (or are a German citizen) so if you are from America you could not purchase any of these plans.
Does anyone know of any plans that an American could purchase but would still be valid in Germany?
Thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake