DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Life of a drone

millbah

Reactions
Can anyone give comment on the number of flying hours I may expect from my drone? For example if I buy a light bulb, I should get so many hrs of enjoyment. After hearing of cracks, gimbal malfunctions, casing separations, battery problems, eol's & other matters, perhaps it not as long as I am thinking. 🤔

I have no idea what other users are getting from their drones, but here are my statistics:

DJI Mavic Pro #1 - Aquired: 2019 #Flights: 287 - Air time: 41h 37m - Total Mileage: 247 Miles - Status: crashed in 2019
DJI Mavic Pro #2 - Aquired: 2021 #Flights: 73 - Air time: 10h 33m - Total Mileage: 73 Miles - Status: backup drone
DJI Mavic Pro Plat Aquired: 2019 #Flights: 308 - Air time: 58h 58m - Total Mileage: 373 Miles - Status: still going strong
DJI Spark Aquired: 2018 #Flights 116 - Air time: 8h 28m - Total Mileage: 24 Miles - Status: still going strong
DJI Phantom 3 Adv Aquired: 2018#Flights 100 - Air time: 10h 35m - Total Mileage: 123 Miles - Status: still working
DJI Phantom 3 Adv Aquired: 2017#Flights 143 - Air time: 18h 01m - Total Mileage: 122 Miles - Status: crashed into bricks

Can anyone give comment on the number of flying hours I may expect from my drone? For example if I buy a light bulb, I should get so many hrs of enjoyment. After hearing of cracks, gimbal malfunctions, casing separations, battery problems, eol's & other matters, perhaps it not as long as I am thinking. 🤔
There's not much variation in the way people use lightbulbs, but drone flying is different.
If you don't crash yours, it should last a long time.
DJI drones are well built and more durable than you are thinking.
Just checking the stats on mine that's had a hard working life in a salt air environment ...
It's clocked 4300 miles in 1400 flights over 5 years and still running well.

I've had my Mavic air since they came out in 2018 . Not sure home hours or miles with out looking but it a lot I'm sure still going strong

I’ve been flying a M2P for 2 years. Zero defects with the aircraft. 256 hours of flying time. I HAVE experienced bloated batteries. I typically get 170 cycles per Mavic 2 Pro battery before it bloats (and is retired). Hope this helps.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
I have no idea what other users are getting from their drones, but here are my statistics:

DJI Mavic Pro #1 - Aquired: 2019 #Flights: 287 - Air time: 41h 37m - Total Mileage: 247 Miles - Status: crashed in 2019
DJI Mavic Pro #2 - Aquired: 2021 #Flights: 73 - Air time: 10h 33m - Total Mileage: 73 Miles - Status: backup drone
DJI Mavic Pro Plat Aquired: 2019 #Flights: 308 - Air time: 58h 58m - Total Mileage: 373 Miles - Status: still going strong
DJI Spark Aquired: 2018 #Flights 116 - Air time: 8h 28m - Total Mileage: 24 Miles - Status: still going strong
DJI Phantom 3 Adv Aquired: 2018#Flights 100 - Air time: 10h 35m - Total Mileage: 123 Miles - Status: still working
DJI Phantom 3 Adv Aquired: 2017#Flights 143 - Air time: 18h 01m - Total Mileage: 122 Miles - Status: crashed into bricks
Jimlips:

You have a crowded hangar!

Howard

I have 2 of the M1P's i got second hand so i have no knowledge of their past life but for me i have:
84 flights......99 miles and 13 hours
137 flights......76 miles and 15 hours flight time

I'm still learning. How does one check the flight time and hours?

@millbah ,the biggest contributor to the lifespan of your drone is you
how you fly it ,how you take care of it ,and the time you invest in it ,to achieve those things
the consumable's are batteries and props ( which do have a finite life )
the most delicate parts,are the camera and gimbal assembly,including the cables that power them
the one factor over which we as owners have no real control, is the fact that because the technology in our drones is moving forwards all the time,sadly ,manufacturer's put a artificial lifespan on our drones ,when it comes to batteries, and software ,that powers and controls them

Reactions: db4476

Nice drone inventory!

MM

Reactions: jimlips
I used the DJI Go 4 app to fly the Mavic 2 Pro. Each flight is recorded to the “flight recorder”. The same flight time info is also available if you use the DJI Fly app. I also log each flight in a UAS Pilot logbook.

While I don't have the mileage like some have posted, my 2016 MP is in great shape. A buddy has a older Phantom still going strong as well. The only thing I'd factor in is, how robust each model is, and getting original parts for older models if repairs are ever require.

Hi, I have an MA2 - 51 miles 1105 minutes. three minor accidents. I fixed them with AmZn parts. Sitting tight on any new drones... IMO - is risky to spend so much money on drones that aren't ready for prime time.

Here are my hanger stats. First aircraft was a Phantom 4 Advanced acquired June 2020. Stats current as of 4/15/2022. With proper care and maintained routinely, these aircraft will last a long time (aside from a flyaway).

Attachments

• DJI_FPV.jpg
    DJI_FPV.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DJI_FPV_LOST.jpg
    DJI_FPV_LOST.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 8
  • InkedM2P.jpg
    InkedM2P.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 7
  • InkedMA2s.jpg
    InkedMA2s.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 5
  • InkedMini_2.jpg
    InkedMini_2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 4
  • InkedP4A.jpg
    InkedP4A.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 4
  • M3C.jpg
    M3C.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 5
  • MA2.jpg
    MA2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Mavic_Mini.jpg
    Mavic_Mini.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 7
Sometimes it is not the drone itself that you should worry about, as they can last a long time…

BUT

Depending on which device you choose, an app can become outdated or no longer supported.

Batteries are next. The way they are maintained, or lack thereof. The number of charges will affect their lifespan, and therefore the life of your drone.

I use airdata.com. Although I have a Pro account, I think they offer one that is free (or inexpensive). It keeps track of all kinds of things on your drone for you, automatically.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
There's not much variation in the way people use lightbulbs, but drone flying is different.
If you don't crash yours, it should last a long time.
DJI drones are well built and more durable than you are thinking.
Just checking the stats on mine that's had a hard working life in a salt air environment ...
It's clocked 4300 miles in 1400 flights over 5 years and still running well.
That is very impressive, 4,300 miles is quite some distance, thanks for the info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer