DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lights

Max Headroom

Reactions
Could members recommend a light to put on the Mini 2 SE that wont take it over 249g i am not after something for night flying just something that'll make it a little easier to see when flying, i am in the U.K so as far as i know there are no rules or regulations to worry about, please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

The drone weighs 246 grams as it is. I use the Firehouse ARC V Drone Strobe Light on my drones but it weights 4 grams itself which would put the Mini 2 SE over but just a tad.

Honestly, The light won't make the drone easier to see. trust me. It will just blind you with its flash when you stare at it. lol There is not much on the market that will make your Drone easier to see. If they could make it a little "black" when flying it could be a little easier really. Bright colored Skins won't make it any easier either BUT they do look really cool on the pad.

Reactions: Max Headroom
Honestly, The light won't make the drone easier to see. trust me
I would beg to differ there. One of the biggest problems mini pilots have is that the small size of it means if you ever look down at the screen it can be tricky trying to find it in the sky again, and I would argue that a strobe would certainly help in that regard. But I don't think OP will find one that doesn't take his craft over the 250g let alone a strobe + a couple of navigation lights that would seriously help with VLOS extension.

It's really very frustrating that a) DJI have built nav lights into its later mini series drones, but inexplicably (and non-optionally) disables all of them (rather than just the ones up by the camera) whenever the camera is recording and b) that the law over here is not flexible enough to accommodate what would rather obviously be a big upgrade in safety and visibility for a minuscule addition in mass.

Last edited:
b) that the law over here is not flexible enough to accommodate what would rather obviously be a big upgrade in safety and visibility for a minuscule addition in mass.
Que Mr. Bureaucrat: "Well, the weight limit is law and cannot be changed, but we are all for safety so reduce the size of the battery to make up for the weight of the lights!"

So now the mini loses flight time from having a smaller battery that is also powering lights.

I would beg to differ there. One of the biggest problems mini pilots have is that the small size of it means if you ever look down at the screen it can be tricky trying to find it in the sky again, and I would argue that a strobe would certainly help in that regard. But I don't think OP will find one that doesn't take his craft over the 250g let alone a strobe + a couple of navigation lights that would seriously help with VLOS extension.

It's really very frustrating that a) DJI have built nav lights into its later mini series drones, but inexplicably (and non-optionally) disables all of them (rather than just the ones up by the camera) whenever the camera is recording and b) that the law over here is not flexible enough to accommodate what would rather obviously be a big upgrade in safety and visibility for a minuscule addition in mass.
I agree the law (in both countries and other applicable country) should provide an exception when attaching a strobe light to the drone for the purposes required by law. The 250g limit should not count the weight of one strobe light attached to the drone. Not sure why this is a problem when it is mostly known that strobe lights can't be so heavy as they would put the 250g limit in serious jeopardy and also it is said many times here in the forum that officers don't have scales and don't weigh drones so a g or two shouldn't be a factor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendvaypatrik