DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight

I understand the VLOS rule and the rationale for it. However don’t you all find you lost the drone well before it reaches 400ft?
Lets face it, drones are hard to see. The rule in the UK is visual line of sight and a maximum distance away from the pilot of 500m (1600ft). Looking at your screen should be regarded as the same sort of thing as looking at the instruments in your car whilst driving. You glance at them, get the information you need and look back up. I know in practice, sometimes when you look back up to the part of the sky you were looking at just a second ago, your drone has gone! It's happened to me and I should think it's happened to all of us at some point. Sometimes, it can take me 30 seconds or so to actually locate it in the sky again. If I can't locate it, I bring it back until I can see it again.... I find it harder to spot again on clear sunny cloudless days. If it's cloudy, I find it much easier to keep track of. That might be just me though...?

Reactions: Porky
Can I just ask why this has totally gone off topic, the op didn’t ask about being a part 107 pilot & LOS he’s question was about LOS.

Its not gone off topic at all. OP was asking about maintaining VLOS and mentioned looking away from the drone to look at the tablet. A response to this was to mention someone else could spot for the person flying. That answer was qualified by stating a spotter cannot be used when flying for hobby. It only applies to people flying under Part 107. The OP never mentioned flight under hobby or commercial but it is also important for other people reading this thread to understand the different requirements when it comes to VLOS.

Yeah but this will go and on about
Its not gone off topic at all. OP was asking about maintaining VLOS and mentioned looking away from the drone to look at the tablet. A response to this was to mention someone else could spot for the person flying. That answer was qualified by stating a spotter cannot be used when flying for hobby. It only applies to people flying under Part 107. The OP never mentioned flight under hobby or commercial but it is also important for other people reading this thread to understand the different requirements when it comes to VLOS.

Are LOS & VLOS the same?

Last edited:
Yeah but this will go and on about

Are LOS & VLOS the same?

No. LOS is a straight view at something or a certain direction. VLOS means that you can actually see it.

[Off topic though?]

It might go on for a bit but is that a bad thing? It is still on topic and, as you can see, some people don't have it correct.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
No. LOS is a straight view at something or a certain direction. VLOS means that you can actually see it.

[Off topic though?]

It might go on for a bit but is that a bad thing? It is still on topic and, as you can see, some people don't have it correct.

Not really off topic, the thread title states LOS not VLOS;)

No it’s not a bad thing but you know the part 107 will..

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Any pilot can have a spotter period.

Sorry. Under "current" US law, yes. I was angling my reply to someone's mention about doing this in the past.

This certainly opens up a _huge_ can of worms. But I'm sure the FAA will _eventually_ give their own "interpretation" of the new requirements.

I believe they are still different, otherwise who would bother going through the time, effort and expense of getting your FAR Part 107?

You need the 107 if you want to make money with your drone. You are a commercial pilot once you get the 107, registration and INSURANCE. If flying for hobby you CAN NOT sell your pictures or video. How they are going to enforce that is a mystery to me.

That only applies to flights under Part 107, not hobby flights.
Not true, you can have anyone you want help you keep track of it. It's an 'official' job description under 107, but a recreational pilot can still use one.

I sent my drone straight up vertically to the max alt of 120m and I struggled to see it as it was just a tiny dot in the sky.
Then once it moves away, I'm totally gone. I've set my max distance so I could keep an eye on it but still cant see it. FYI, I have 6x6 eyesight (that’s 20/20 for those who are still using the imperial system )
I think that if people were truthful, I cant see how anyone can legitimately say that they can see the drone at 200m away.
IMO, I think the rules need to be changed to allow people to use the image on the screen

Am confused by line of sight rule which appear to be very important. My problem is all the Drone Pilots I know use an ipad or iphone to control the Drone not one looks into the Sky when flying, does this action make them/me illegal as we are breaking the golden rule?
Rules may depend on where you are flying but yes, you and your friends should not fly without at least looking at the sky you are flying in. Personally, I consider it less about rules and more about being responsible. You should try to at least keep the area you are flying in within sight so you can take evasive action if other aircraft enter the area. Of course, you should have eyes on it at all times but that can be difficult. I try to keep my MP in sight but many times I have to play "Where's My Mavic" while flying. As far as legalities are concerned, as long as you respect other people and property, cause no damage flying, and try to keep it in sight there really isn't much to worry about. Unless you are flagrantly breaking a law or posting illegal activities no one besides the oddball that thinks all drones are spying on them is going to come looking for you.

Unless you are flagrantly breaking a law or posting illegal activities no one besides the oddball that thinks all drones are spying on them is going to come looking for you.

With the passage of the FAA Authorization Act of 2018, the FAA has more teeth to take action against people doing stupid stuff like posting a YouTube video about 'I flew my drone 6 miles away and at 20,000 feet.'

Not true, you can have anyone you want help you keep track of it. It's an 'official' job description under 107, but a recreational pilot can still use one.

Not prior to the change in the past couple of months. The FAA released their inturpetation of the VLOS rule and it was specific in that it did not allow for this.

** this is prior to the recent change **

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
  • Is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • Is flown within visual line-of-sight of the person operating it
  • Is flown for hobby or recreational purposes
The is the simple statement. Here is the one that is more in-depth:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Although the FAA believes the statutory definition of a model aircraft is clear,
the FAA provides the following explanation of the meanings of “visual line of sight” and
“hobby or recreational purpose,” terms used in the definition of model aircraft, because
the FAA has received a number of questions in this area.

I do think it is funny when an organization states that something is clear.... but then goes on the explain in better detail what it means.

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2).1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own
natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses)
to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of
the operator for maintaining visual line of sight.
Under the criteria above, visual line of
sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft.

Again, this was prior to the recent change. I'm assuming that the posters have been talking about using someone else to watch the drone prior to a couple of months ago.

This has since been changed... and there is a whole other set of new problems.

That is true now... not prior to a couple of months ago.

With the passage of the FAA Authorization Act of 2018, the FAA has more teeth to take action against people doing stupid stuff like posting a YouTube video about 'I flew my drone 6 miles away and at 20,000 feet.'
True enough. The problem the FAA faces is to prosecute they will have to prove who was doing the flying. It might be worth their expenses if damage or death had occurred but for your average stupid flight posting they normally send a letter explaining the regulations. Any subsequent posts after that might piss them off enough to pursue legal action. Of course, action from the authorities will differ depending on the location of the offence. Most posts quote the FAA but since this is a world-wide forum there are other entities that may be involved. Some places may lock you up first and worry about making a case later so it would be best to know the rules for your area and either abide by them or accept responsibility and the consequences if you do not.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
That is true now... not prior to a couple of months ago.
It still is and always has been 100% true that I can have an observer if I want to regardless of 107 or recreational flight. The FAA or any governing body can NOT dictate who can be standing beside me when I fly.

Are LOS & VLOS the same?
Most of the time on forums when people say LOS, they actually mean VLOS.
They are very different things.

Line of Sight is a radio term that's been around for a hundred years.
It's to differentiate between radio signals transmitted and received in a direct LOS from those that are bounced off the ionosphere and can can be received from transmitters that are over the horizon.
You need to have a clear unobstructed LOS to fly your drone (fly behind a mountain and you lose your LOS and your control signal)
You could fly your drone 5 miles away and still have a clear LOS although you couldn't see the drone past 300 metres.

VLOS is a clumsy way of saying: within visual range

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird