DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Linux and DJI

CeeJayW

Reactions
Hi All,
I bought a Mavic pro, purely on recommendation. I'm very pleased with and to find software such as the DJI flight simulator was available gave me a little more confidence to part with my hard earned cash. Unfortunately, I didn't check the specifications of the software. I only use Linux having fallen out of love with Microsoft too many times. It seems that DJI software does not work with Linux.
I have three questions, the answers to which I would be grateful for, if anyone has them.

I have managed to get the flight simulator to work with WINE but cannot get it to connect to the controller. Has anyone else solved this problem already?
Are there plans afoot for DJI to release Linux versions of their software? There are after all rapidly increasing numbers of Non Microsoft users throughout the world.
Are there any viable alternatives to the DJI flight simulator that will work with Linux?

I will enjoy my drone come what may, but wish to do it in as safe a manner as possible. Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: mereflyer
Are there plans afoot for DJI to release Linux versions of their software?
I wouldn't count on it.

Although Linux is head-and-shoulders better than Windows in so many countless ways, it just "ain't there" yet. :)

Forget the simulator, go fly your drone!

Hi All,
I bought a Mavic pro, purely on recommendation. I'm very pleased with and to find software such as the DJI flight simulator was available gave me a little more confidence to part with my hard earned cash. Unfortunately, I didn't check the specifications of the software. I only use Linux having fallen out of love with Microsoft too many times. It seems that DJI software does not work with Linux.
I have three questions, the answers to which I would be grateful for, if anyone has them.

I have managed to get the flight simulator to work with WINE but cannot get it to connect to the controller. Has anyone else solved this problem already?
Are there plans afoot for DJI to release Linux versions of their software? There are after all rapidly increasing numbers of Non Microsoft users throughout the world.
Are there any viable alternatives to the DJI flight simulator that will work with Linux?

I will enjoy my drone come what may, but wish to do it in as safe a manner as possible. Many thanks in advance.
As noted, I would not count on DJI software ever working in Linux, there is no reason for them to do it, the number of people that use it as a Primary OS is probably very low..

If there is an emulator you can run for your Linux build, a copy of Windows to install, then perhaps you could run it if the System you're running it on had the resources to run it.

Ultimately though, watch some videos on YouTube, there are many that show how to learn how to fly.

Find a wide open space and practice short range flying to get used to the controls and software. Using a older Mavic Pro uses DJI Go 4, as a side note, be aware if you ever upgrade to a newer DJI Drone down the road, you'll be using DJI Fly, and its a little different.

Hi All,

I use QGroundControl (Linux version) to pre-program my flights. Becarefull though...install Version 4.04 first and check that it's save functions are working. If you install the later 4.11 you will have trouble accessing your saved files.
Nifty in Oz

Hi All,

Hi from a happy longtime MP1 / Linux user. My gripe is not having access to DJI Assistant for doing upgrades etc. I have used a friends computer on windose to access and update my MP. but inconvenient and should not be necessary if only DJI would make it available for all popular versions of linux - Come On DJI, give us a go! (Or does someone know a way around this - without having the hassle of installing "Wine" or Virtual copies of windose)...

The Dji Assistant is built using ElectronJS - that builder does support Linux.
I don't really know that environment, but: If the built application consists of platform-independent compiled part and platform-dependent ElectronJS engine, then the engine should be easy to replace with Linux version.

ElectronJS does have Linux version.

If there is an emulator you can run for your Linux build, a copy of Windows to install, then perhaps you could run it if the System you're running it on had the resources to run it.
I played with Linux a lot, years ago, but never used it as my primary OS.

IIRC, one problem with Wine and other emulators is that some hardware drivers won't initially install, or work correctly after manual install... the most-needed and most-aggravating of which is USB drivers.

I played with Linux a lot, years ago, but never used it as my primary OS.

IIRC, one problem with Wine and other emulators is that some hardware drivers won't initially install, or work correctly after manual install... the most-needed and most-aggravating of which is USB drivers.
that seems to be an issue with the emulator app, if you intend to use Linux more frequently or a primary OS, perhaps it's better to invest $$ in an App that is known to be more stable for various drivers needed to get an another OS up and running.

I use QGroundControl (Linux version) to pre-program my flights. Becarefull though...install Version 4.04 first and check that it's save functions are working. If you install the later 4.11 you will have trouble accessing your saved files.
Nifty in Oz
Many thanks, this looks like really interesting software. I can see me using it in the future when my needs become more complex. Unless I have it wrong though, it does not look as though it acts as a simulator. Is there a flight simulator aspect to it that I can tap into?

A quick google search shows Linux as having a 2.38% market share as of July 2021. As much as I love Linux (long time Mint user here), there’s no commercial incentive for DJI to release Linux versions of its software. They don’t even fully cover MacOS, as the flight simulator is Windoze only, and MacOS has a 15.4% market share.

The way I look at it these days is storage space is cheap. It’s easy enough to setup a dual boot with a minimal Windoze installation for the software that absolutely has to run on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marus