DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi Advice - distance flying

Richlizard

Reactions
Hi all.

I noticed the other day when flying on private land that I only managed a distance of 2000 feet before I completely lost signal and my Mavic Air returned home. I found this a little strange after seeing a video of one travelling almost 2 miles!

So it got me thinking about Litchi which I fully intend to download soon.

What if my flight plan means the craft should be travelling 3000 feet from my position? Would the Litchi software still travel the route planned and then return or would my craft decide to abort the mission once the signal is lost and I return home with no completed route?

Thanks

...What if my flight plan means the craft should be travelling 3000 feet from my position? Would the Litchi software still travel the route planned and then return or would my craft decide to abort the mission once the signal is lost and I return home with no completed route?...
Litchi will continue the mission, even if you don't have enough battery to fight a headwind on the return. In that case, it will try until the battery reaches critical level which forces it to land (hopefully in a safe and dry spot).

Most countries regulations require that you keep your drone within VLOS. Just something to be aware of if you are planning a long distance automated mission.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Most countries regulations require that you keep your drone within VLOS. Just something to be aware of if you are planning a long distance automated mission.

I was one of the first licence holders when it was a PFAW so understand all this, why I put private land.

Thanks anyway and to the other reply, much appreciated.

I was one of the first licence holders when it was a PFAW so understand all this, why I put private land.

Thanks anyway and to the other reply, much appreciated.

Private land doesn't exempt you from Aviation Regulations. Unless you are flying in an enclosed warehouse, you are still in public airspace.

Reactions: WAXMAN
VLOS...

You guys are absolutely right, of course, but...

Has anyone else noticed how ironic it is that even a modest drone like my Mavic Air has a controller range (in good conditions) of around 2km?

I saw a (I think Chinese) video of a guy who flew his Air 4.3km out to sea. He barely got it back before forced landing kicked in.

Mavic Pros have even better range. Who among us could spot one of these little fellas at 1,000 meters with the naked eye, let alone out to maximum range.

And I have Litchi - which doesn't even need to be connected to continue it's mission.

And the list goes on and on of feature after feature, example after example, of everyone, including DJI, paying lip service to VLOS.

Oh, never fly outside of line of sight... but here's all these cool features designed to let you do exactly that! Just don't use them, because you need to fly responsibly.

I wonder how many pilots never violate VLOS? Or never fly at night? Isn't this just like an open secret?

VLOS...

Has anyone else noticed how ironic it is that even a modest drone like my Mavic Air has a controller range (in good conditions) of around 2km?

I saw a (I think Chinese) video of a guy who flew his Air 4.3km out to sea. He barely got it back before forced landing kicked in.

Mavic Pros have even better range. Who among us could spot one of these little fellas at 1,000 meters with the naked eye, let alone out to maximum range.

And I have Litchi - which doesn't even need to be connected to continue it's mission.

And the list goes on and on of feature after feature, example after example, of everyone, including DJI, paying lip service to VLOS.

Oh, never fly outside of line of sight... but here's all these cool features designed to let you do exactly that! Just don't use them, because you need to fly responsibly.

I wonder how many pilots never violate VLOS? Or never fly at night? Isn't this just like an open secret?

I suppose you could make the same argument about buying a car that can go 140 mph.

In the drone case, having a higher transmitter power allows you to maintain video and control even in urban areas with more interference sources. So even if you don't fly at extreme distances, the drone's capability to do is is useful when you are flying close by.

There are also waivers and exceptions to the VLOS requirement depending on your country and type of operation. (for example, in rural areas, and when flying lighter weight drones, Iceland's rules don't strictly require flying within VLOS)

Reactions: Dan C and Mossiback
VLOS...

Not much of a Secret when people post their videos online for all to see including the FAA!

...Mavic Pros have even better range. Who among us could spot one of these little fellas at 1,000 meters with the naked eye, let alone out to maximum range...
I will echo @dawgpilot in that having the extra power allows for a rock solid connection while keeping it within VLOS. Last winter I started flying from inside my car to keep warm and now I am spoiled. I just keep it within view of my side window and fly in comfort, in the shade, while listening to the radio, and never have a signal loss. I could not do that with a weaker RC.
...And I have Litchi - which doesn't even need to be connected to continue it's mission...
I used Litchi to make a time-lapse video of a house being built. It was across the street and I never lost sight of it. I know that people do, but I would never program a mission that would take it out of VLOS or controller range. Not only is it irresponsible, but it leaves it up to technology to get my MP back. All it takes is an unexpected head wind on the return to keep it from making it back home.
...I wonder how many pilots never violate VLOS? Or never fly at night? ...
Probably very few. I routinely lose site of mine in a clear blue sky and need to line up landmarks to spot it again. I also have flown at night, mostly directly above to view fireworks, and found that it is easier to keep track of using the led's in the darkness than in the daylight.

The 140 MPH car analogy is a good one. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. The extra power is there so you can climb a steep grade or quickly pass someone, not so you can speed. But if you do be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Don't take this too seriously. I'm messing with you.

I will echo @dawgpilot in that having the extra power allows for a rock solid connection

And I'm certain that's all anyone ever wants the power for... nudge nudge, wink wink.

The 140 MPH car analogy is a good one. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. The extra power is there so you can climb a steep grade or quickly pass someone, not so you can speed. But if you do be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Exactly, And no one ever speeds, right? Not even a little bit? Not even with a really, REALLY good reason?

Ah, I'm just making fun of the whole thing, and teasing those (including DJI) who sort of claim to always do the right thing.

This is meant to make you chuckle, or at least smirk, then put an innocent face on and say boldly, "No, I always follow the rules".

the difference is the rest of the car community doesn't look down their nose at the other drivers who occasionally break the rules, constantly complaining that they are giving all drivers a bad name, and then go run to the government asking for excessive, ridiculous corporal punishment schemes that doesn't even come close to fitting the "crime" or deterring the problem. states have turned most traffic violations into infractions they're not even crimes unless and until someone gets hurt yet you'd think flying beyond vlos would get you jail time in a federal prison if you read even a handful of dramatic posts.

the difference is the rest of the car community doesn't look down their nose at the other drivers who occasionally break the rules, constantly complaining that they are giving all drivers a bad name, and then go run to the government asking for excessive, ridiculous corporal punishment schemes that doesn't even come close to fitting the "crime" or deterring the problem. states have turned most traffic violations into infractions they're not even crimes unless and until someone gets hurt yet you'd think flying beyond vlos would get you jail time in a federal prison if you read even a handful of dramatic posts.
As you point out, historically, traffic violations were criminal, entitling the defendants to a full blown jury trial for every ticket issued. Prosecution became too expensive, so they were all legislatively turned into infractions instead of crimes, without any right to a jury trial, and most often not even in front of a real judge, and without any prosecutor even present! As to BVLOS, if one were to believe all the media hype, you'd think premeditated BVLOS flying even qualified for the death penalty! The primary reason for the FAA mandating VLOS is to make it easy to locate the pilot, not safety! If the pilot is flying remotely from 5 miles away, instead of a mere 1,000 feet, the size of the search area based upon the aircraft control radius is 2,500 times larger! Do the math. Currently, the FAA's stated primary objective is simply education, and not draconian fines, jail time, or execution! As long as you have clear LOS in an otherwise safe area, you can see and hear any unexpected manned aircraft, which are far larger than any drone. Those are what you really need to see, not the tiny drone itself, which your FPV and telemetry are far better at helping you locate. However, it's still the FAA's airspace to control. Not mine. Fly safe!

Reactions: Dan C
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980