DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi app and no DJI Go4, or not..?

Smokey5159

Reactions
Hi guys,
My S5 Samsung (Smartphone) apparently doesn't support having both the Litchi app installed, and the Go4 at the same time - I would have to completely remove the latter for the Litchi to work. I don't know how much better Litchi is and if not having Go4 would problematic - me thinks it would be. Would anyone say that one could get by with just the Litchi app?

I'm not sure I would operate this way. I know you have a Samsung but I think iOS is the preferred device. If it makes you feel any better about your decision to run only Litchi, here's what happens when they're both installed. I always start up and launch in DJIGo4, check settings etc and then switch to my other pilot software. When you switch to the other pilot software, DJIGo disconnects so you're essentially not using the Go App anyway however; if your 3rd party app fails or locks up, you can switch back to DJIGo and it will reconnect.

I'm not familiar enough with Litchi to give my opinion on it being the ONLY software I can pilot with. I have not seen any Litchi videos where the operator who made the video state that they were only using Litchi.

Hi guys,
My S5 Samsung (Smartphone) apparently doesn't support having both the Litchi app installed, and the Go4 at the same time - I would have to completely remove the latter for the Litchi to work. I don't know how much better Litchi is and if not having Go4 would problematic - me thinks it would be. Would anyone say that one could get by with just the Litchi app?

This seems VERY odd to me, that you couldn't simply have both apps installed at the same time.

Can you describe exactly what you're seeing on the phone? What happens when both are installed?

Have you tried any basic troubleshooting? flushing storage and/or cache of each app, do you have any antivirus/security apps installed? going into airplane mode (disabling wifi/cellular)? checking if one is running in the background (using force stop)? etc?

What version of Android is on the S5 currently?

You may not be able to have both of them running at the same time, but they can both reside on any device.

You may not be able to have both of them running at the same time, but they can both reside on any device.
Right, this is my thought as well... Absolutely no reason the two of them couldn't "co-exist" on the device, but certainly both can't be running at the same time.

Anyway, @Smokey5159 I'm sure we could help you with a bit of troubleshooting (I'm an android user as well) if you can post more details about what you're seeing.

Right, this is my thought as well... Absolutely no reason the two of them couldn't "co-exist" on the device, but certainly both can't be running at the same time.

Anyway, @Smokey5159 I'm sure we could help you with a bit of troubleshooting (I'm an android user as well) if you can post more details about what you're seeing.
Hi guys,
Here is the note that references the compatibility issue when installing the Litchi app. Screenshot_2017-03-24-18-56-13.png

Well isn't that odd...

I still suspect it's got something to do with other dji based apps auto-starting when the RC is connected, and then staying persistent in the background...

It's even more odd that this only affects certain devices.

Try (with both installed) fresh rebooting the phone, then connecting the RC, if Go4 starts, close it, then go into settings, apps, and force stop anything DJI related.

Then try running Lichi and see if it comes up?

Going to go over to Lichi forums and see if there is any better explanation of this.

Hi Glasswalker,
Yes, I agree it's unusual - how can it be specific to 1 Android device using a generic operating system? I will do as you instruct and see the response. I will however take the propellers off - as the main reason for my concern is damaging my Mavic because of spurious instructions from either app...

Hi Glasswalker,
Yes, I agree it's unusual - how can it be specific to 1 Android device using a generic operating system? I will do as you instruct and see the response. I will however take the propellers off - as the main reason for my concern is damaging my Mavic because of spurious instructions from either app...
Oh I agree, DEFINITELY do this with props off... (I should have explicitly said that)

There are some differences in Android between vendors, it's one of the reasons many app developers (DJI included) have a harder time with a consistant experience on Android. Apple has only one device manufacturer to worry about (themselves) so they can ensure a 100% consistant approach.

Android is Opensource meaning the individual manufacturers are free to modify it to their own purposes as they see fit.

Now more recently Google has imposed "standards" to force vendors to align somewhat to their vision, but vendors like Samsung still heavily modify the OS. It's still capable of running the same apps, they don't modify that part, but the UI, menus, layout, launcher, bundled apps (and apps that run in background) and included libraries/drivers/etc are all customized by Samsung...

That said, there is nothing "device specific" (especially not across multiple manufacturers like Samsung and Xaomi for example, as that message implies) that should cause an apps "existance" on the phone, to impact another app... If it's running in the background, doing something... Sure... The only other case this may happen would be if App1 is writing data to the same place as App2, resulting in corruption between the two... But that would not be OS/Device specific, that would happen across all android devices (I would think).

Only thing I can think of that makes real sense is what I mentioned earlier.

DJI Go4 on my device auto-launches when I plug the RC in. Perhaps the SDK for DJI provides this behavior, and as a result of the way USB is implemented on the listed phones, it causes the app to be re-launched repeatedly or something. As a result causing more than one app to run at once which would potentially be an issue.

Anyway let me know how it goes :)

Thanks heaps for the overview - that's bringing some sense into the picture at least. It will certainly be interesting to see the result. I must add that this S5 had been flawless in operating the DJI Go4 app - it has never crashed nor misbehaved but run my Mavic perfectly.

They are essentially inert when you're not running. I can't see how having it on the storage drive, either one of them, would conflict with the other. I think they issue that warning because they know it's just safer not to have both reside on the same drive So they can both be engaged together accidentally.

I do a hard reset on my iPad every time I fly, at the beginning, and when it fires back up, I engage one or the other.

Yep, I understand that...
I guess I just wonder if it is worth me persevering or just stick with the DJI app and get my $30 refunded...

They are two diff programs with diff benefits to both. If I had to keep one, it would be litchi.But they are not interchangeable, IMO.

So, perhaps my next step, is to retrograde the Mavic firmware to .400 and just give Litchi a good crack? I'm just nervous that something will cause a malfunction and I'll lose my bird!

Hi Smokey5159, I use a Samsung S5 and have both DJI Go4 and Litchi installed but heres my solution for witch I use.
Download from Playstore "Package Disabler Pro". You then just use this to disable Go4 to have litchi auto start when turning on controller or you disable litchi and enable Go4 to have that auto start when pluging in. You then dont have to uninstall either or reinstall and have the option of witch you want to use. Also note that litchi is not fully functional with the latest update of DJI firmware and some funtions are not compatable at present till next updates.

Last edited:
Hi Smokey5159, I use a Samsung S5 and have both DJI Go4 and Litchi installed but heres my solution for witch I use.
Download from Playstore "Package Disabler Pro". You then just use this to disable Go4 to have litchi auto start when turning on controller or you disable litchi and enable Go4 to have that auto start when pluging in. You then dont have to uninstall either or reinstall and have the option of witch you want to use. Also note that litchi is not fully functional with the latest update of DJI firmware and some funtions are compatable at present till next updates.
Hey there Dragonfly,
Thanks for the heads up - only getting around now to testing Litchi. I'll do as you recommend and download that app - and see how it goes.
Yeah, I heard about the firmware update issues with Litchi. So, is it best to not fly the Mavic at all with Litchi now (just to be safe), or can it be trusted just being mindful that some features are not functional? I'd rather wait until they've fixed the problem, than fly at all with a suspect app...
Cheers Smokey.

No, Litchi is fine to use just read up on the few things that are not useable at moment or may cause a problem if using latest DJI 1.3.500 firmware. But main functions like basic flying, waypoints and FPV/googles are fine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh