DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi - Auto focus sux, right? or is it just me?

marklyn

Reactions
It happened to me (again) today. Spent a great deal of time setting up Litchi missions for my trip to my hometown, tweaking it just right. Perfect.
Then comes flight time and of all the things I missed on my personal checklist was remembering to change the (always defaulted) auto focus back to AFC. So the entire video is blurry.
I've complained to Litchi about this before but never get any response. This has happened enough times for me to consider looking at another flight management app but unfortunately nothing else I've seen comes close to letting me create and tweak missions on my PC (tablet/phone is impossible to setup missions).
Is it possible for Litchi to add a default focus control or is that a DJI only potential setting?

It totally sucks, the app is great but I can't use it due to the horrible focusing.

LITCHIE fix it !!!!

Don't use Autofocus unless you have to for a specific situation that demands it. I set focus to manual, take off, poke the screen where I want it to focus, or touch-hold for infinite focus, and go. If you're shooting video with AFC, the focus will "hunt" and your video will show that. If you're shooting photos, compose it, and touch the screen to focus before you shoot. It's just a matter of plan and habit to get sharply focused photos and video all the time. Just need to understand the way DJI has made it available to you and use it that way.

Don't use Autofocus unless you have to for a specific situation that demands it. I set focus to manual, take off, poke the screen where I want it to focus, or touch-hold for infinite focus, and go. If you're shooting video with AFC, the focus will "hunt" and your video will show that. If you're shooting photos, compose it, and touch the screen to focus before you shoot. It's just a matter of plan and habit to get sharply focused photos and video all the time. Just need to understand the way DJI has made it available to you and use it that way.

Never knew about the touch and hold, I'll give it a try, thanks...

Even with some of the tips I've discovered on my own and read here it happened again today. Two hours to drive to my location, missions all set up and checked (multiple times) and still, after taking off, pausing and choosing AFC, my video came out blurry (80%). When I finally discovered it and touched the screen for infinity focus, the remaining 10% was good but I'm left wondering why when I checked AFC it didn't focus. Two other missions the same day worked ok with AFC. Glitchy I guess. And highly disappointing.

Based solely on what you've said, you didn't set the focus for AFC after you took off. Even with AFC turned on, you need to tell it where your subject is by touching the screen. It's not so much a glitch as it is using it the way it's set up to work.

AFC works fine, but I don't want my video to show it hunting as I fly. I know that for my missions, infinity focus will catch everything I need, so there's no point in leaving anything to chance. I leave AFC turned off, take off, set focus to infinity, and go. It always works.

Based solely on what you've said, you didn't set the focus for AFC after you took off. Even with AFC turned on, you need to tell it where your subject is by touching the screen. It's not so much a glitch as it is using it the way it's set up to work.

AFC works fine, but I don't want my video to show it hunting as I fly. I know that for my missions, infinity focus will catch everything I need, so there's no point in leaving anything to chance. I leave AFC turned off, take off, set focus to infinity, and go. It always works.
That is probably a better method. I will experiment with that next few flights. I still think the auto focus is unusable though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+