DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi fail-safes?

Am I correct that those are the DJI drones which support onboard waypoints?
Think thats correct.
I only downloaded Litchi a couple of weeks ago so Im still learning its features, but I successfully flew a 9 minute waypoint mission this morning on my M2Z.
Id also programmed a couple of orbit flights on the same area, but still havnt figured a way for them to show up on the PC mission hub - and why dont they give the option to auto RTH after a completing an orbit?

Is it true that with the mini 2, it's not actually autonomous but rather digital thumbsticks are used when it's on waypoints?
Yes.
I want it so that if I lose connection it will continue it's waypoints until it's finished or until it has to return to home from battery failsafe
Only earlier DJI models that used the Go 4 app can do that.
Because the DJI Fly-using models use virtual joysticks, they need the phone/controller to tell them where to go for each waypoint, so they require a constant connection.

Yes.

Only earlier DJI models that used the Go 4 app can do that.
Because the DJI Fly-using models use virtual joysticks, they need the phone/controller to tell them where to go for each waypoint, so they require a constant connection.
So nothing that use the fly app can use waypoints?

I own DroneLink, but the setup and programming has always escaped me. I was not able to program a single simple mission successfully. That was some time ago. Hopefully things have been simplified as I think it has more finesse than Litchi when programmed properly.
Me neither. I found dronelink too confusing, not 100% reliable, and... it seems to require the latest, greatest EXPENSIVE phone used, to work. Litchi is above and beyond Dronelink, IMHO

Me neither. I found dronelink too confusing, not 100% reliable, and... it seems to require the latest, greatest EXPENSIVE phone used, to work. Litchi is above and beyond Dronelink, IMHO
If I could get Litchi to SMOOTHLY and transitionally move the camera and gimbal betwen POI's as it moves from waypoint to waypoint I would be thrilled and use it a lot more often. Perhaps I don't fully interstand what "interpolate" does in the settings, but once I hit a waypoint that changes POI Litchi decides its time just to point the camera at the new POI and does so at the start of said waypoint rather than smoothly move it over throughout the move to the next waypoint.

Not to get too far off subject, but I programmed an automated Litchi mission that I flew with with my M2P, then duplicated it manually with my Mini 3. My Mini 3 in manual was smoother than Litchi. Having said that, I don't think I could have been as precise with my Mini 2, though I suspect I could have done the same with my M2P. Heretofore, my Mini 2 was a toy compared to my M2, but the Mini 3 w/DJI RC controller is so much smoother, precise and more controllable than the Mini 2, particularly when making complex maneuvers. I think it's the DJI RC controller as the sticks no longer attach to "balls" but attach to a a post that separates fore/aft/side to side movements like a you'd see in a typical FPV controller. I've not heard anyone on the forum or YouTube comment on the differences in how the new controls work. I always found the RCN1 on my Mini 2 to have dead spots in the sticks.

I downloaded litchi
For the waypoints
I can't seem to find a function to select what happens when the rc connection is lost
I am also worried that the craft won't return to home automatically when the battery is only enough to do so
I can't find the failsafe settings anywhere
Where are they?...
1. You can find 'Signal Loss Behaviour' settings under 'AIRCRAFT' settings, however your drone has to be turned on and connected to the remote controller.
2. Low Battery RTH will always be anounced and kick in, unless you cancel it. There are NO settings to influence this feature.

Signal Lost Behavior.png

Read the Online User Guide.

Contrary to what others wrote, you can fly waypoint missions with the Mavic Mini, Mini SE, Mini 2, Air 2 & Air 2s. However there has to be a constant and good control signal between the AC & RC at all times.

Reactions: Octisurfer
If I could get Litchi to SMOOTHLY and transitionally move the camera and gimbal betwen POI's as it moves from waypoint to waypoint I would be thrilled and use it a lot more often. Perhaps I don't fully interstand what "interpolate" does in the settings, but once I hit a waypoint that changes POI Litchi decides its time just to point the camera at the new POI and does so at the start of said waypoint rather than smoothly move it over throughout the move to the next waypoint.

Not to get too far off subject, but I programmed an automated Litchi mission that I flew with with my M2P, then duplicated it manually with my Mini 3. My Mini 3 in manual was smoother than Litchi. Having said that, I don't think I could have been as precise with my Mini 2, though I suspect I could have done the same with my M2P. Heretofore, my Mini 2 was a toy compared to my M2, but the Mini 3 w/DJI RC controller is so much smoother, precise and more controllable than the Mini 2, particularly when making complex maneuvers. I think it's the DJI RC controller as the sticks no longer attach to "balls" but attach to a a post that separates fore/aft/side to side movements like a you'd see in a typical FPV controller. I've not heard anyone on the forum or YouTube comment on the differences in how the new controls work. I always found the RCN1 on my Mini 2 to have dead spots in the sticks.
First off, are you setting the mission up as "straight line" or "curved turns"? It needs to be "curved turns" and you need to make sure none of the waypoints have "curve" set to 0. You may try playing with different values for "curve" as well and see if that solves it.

If that's not it, try setting the mission up so that instead of selecting POI # desired for each point and using "Focus POI", do this:

-select the 1st waypoint you wish to be looking at the desired POI
-select the desired POI#
-select "focus POI", this should change the value shown for "gimbal pitch" though it will be greyed out
-Now change "focus POI" to "interpolate" and the "greyed out gimbal pitch" value should stay but will no longer "be greyed out"

That alone may solve your problem, though you'll have to duplicate the idea for the transition out, but if not, I'd also set the WP focus for POI to "none" immediately after selecting (selecting the point will point the arrow towards POI and stay there when changed to "none"). This should help the transition in to the POI and the points between the in/out transition can be set to "focus POI" if desired.

First off, are you setting the mission up as "straight line" or "curved turns"? It needs to be "curved turns" and you need to make sure none of the waypoints have "curve" set to 0. You may try playing with different values for "curve" as well and see if that solves it.

If that's not it, try setting the mission up so that instead of selecting POI # desired for each point and using "Focus POI", do this:

-select the 1st waypoint you wish to be looking at the desired POI
-select the desired POI#
-select "focus POI", this should change the value shown for "gimbal pitch" though it will be greyed out
-Now change "focus POI" to "interpolate" and the "greyed out gimbal pitch" value should stay but will no longer "be greyed out"

That alone may solve your problem, though you'll have to duplicate the idea for the transition out, but if not, I'd also set the WP focus for POI to "none" immediately after selecting (selecting the point will point the arrow towards POI and stay there when changed to "none"). This should help the transition in to the POI and the points between the in/out transition can be set to "focus POI" if desired.
I always have curves set. I'm not sure I fully understand what Focus POI is vs Interpolate. But below find a screen shot of the mission that I had mentioned earlier. The automated one flown with my Mavic 2 Pro and the manual with my Mini 3. It took me two passes to get what I wanted with the Mini 3, but that turned out to be the more useable footage. I've been trying to get enough footage to do a Chicago River project, but not happy with the other footage from previous dayas, awaiting my ability to get out at the right time of day and reshoot the project.

But again, here is the aforementioned Litchi Mission, though as I look at it, it only had one POI.

1662835651585.png

I'd add in some more points to smoothen it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-10 144039.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-10 144039.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 10
1. You can find 'Signal Loss Behaviour' settings under 'AIRCRAFT' settings, however your drone has to be turned on and connected to the remote controller.
2. Low Battery RTH will always be anounced and kick in, unless you cancel it. There are NO settings to influence this feature.

View attachment 154552

Read the Online User Guide.

Contrary to what others wrote, you can fly waypoint missions with the Mavic Mini, Mini SE, Mini 2, Air 2 & Air 2s. However there has to be a constant and good control signal between the AC & RC at all times.
I don't think anyone stated that you cannot fly waypoint missions on the newer drones. Missions in Litchi are generally waypoint missions but the waypoints are part of the Litchi mission. Waypoints are not stored on the newer drones so constant connection between the drone and the app must be maintained. Some older drones actually use stored waypoints separate from Litchi mission waypoints.

Am I correct that those are the DJI drones which support onboard waypoints?
If you still have the Spark in your sig, it should behave the same as the older drones if Litchi settings are set that way. I have 1 and it continues after loss of signal, but range is limited by speed and battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead