Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi "mission start" question

RetiredInFL

Very Large Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
The example is purely hypothetical put the questions remains:

I am at point "A" (homepoint) with my drone preparing to fly a mission. . Point "B" is the first waypoint about 1500 feet from point "A" (takeoff/homepoint). First waypoint, point "B" altitude is at 200 feet.

If I immediately take off will the drone climb straight up to the 200ft first waypoint altitude that is 1500 feet away then head there or should I either set waypoint "B" directly above takeoff point then make the 2nd waypoint where the first one was or manually climb to 200 feet then run the mission.?

Hoipe my question was clear. Basically how does drone get from takeoff to first waypoint? Climb & go straight or just take the "angle" and slowly climb to 200 first. For this question and to make it clearer for me let's assume this is flat land, no building, trees or obstructions.

For safety reasons, I never start a mission straight at take-off.
I first go to the altitude of Point 1 and make a slow 360 to see if I can recognize any obstacles at this altitude. Maps are not fool-proof and I do not want to proof that by flying into something that is not at the map.
Being relativly sure that it is safe to start, I then start the mission.

Reactions: halifax
just about each of the popular mapping/waypoint software allow you to take off as a start point, but Litchi does allow you to engage the mission while already in flight. So this lets you clear any possible obstacles prior to mission engagement and litchi will allow you to stop the mission at any point and let you manually fly the drone back to your landing point.

Reactions: halifax
Thank you both and what you say makes complete sense but I am still curious as to how Litchi gets to the first waypoint from a ground takeoff a distance away from that initial waypoint. ?

Thank you both same way you say makes complete sense but I am still curious as to how Litchi gets to the first waypoint from a ground takeoff a distance away from that initial waypoint. ?
The drone will take off, reach the mission altitude, then fly over to the 1st way point.

Reactions: RetiredInFL
The drone will take off, reach the mission altitude, then fly over to the 1st way point.

Thank you. I was hoping that was then answer. I had read somewhere the the drone would head for the first waypoint but not by directly going straight up to the WP set altitude first but just doing it like an "airplane" (gradually) till it raches the waypoint.

The best way to verify is to set up a test mission somewhere on a free field, start and see what happens.

Reactions: RetiredInFL
Have you tried using the Litchi Virtual Mission Planner?

This is a GREAT way to "Test Fly" your Litchi missions:

Good call Big Al... I thought VLM was pretty amazing when it first came out, but it just keeps getting better and better!

Have you tried using the Litchi Virtual Mission Planner?

This is a GREAT way to "Test Fly" your Litchi missions:

Yes, thank you. However that shows the mission but not exactly how the aircraft reacts at takeoff until it reaches the first waypoint.

Off this topic, it seems Tapatalk (IOS) is no longer functioning here. Is this a known issue? Getting “bad bridge to Tapatalk” error.

Off this topic, it seems Tapatalk (IOS) is no longer functioning here. Is this a known issue? Getting “bad bridge to Tapatalk” error.

Yes, thank you. However that shows the mission but not exactly how the aircraft reacts at takeoff until it reaches the first waypoint.

Ah yes you are correct. I didn't think it all the way through before posting my suggestion.

When I tested this yesterday (and honestly I had never really thought about what happens between launch and first waypoint) it was pretty straight forward.

I "Launched" the mission from the UAS sitting on the ground. The aircraft ascended straight up to the altitude of the FIRST waypoint and then made a beeline to that waypoint following the programming. I didn't see this asked or noted but it appears the programming defaults to "Cruise Speed" enroute to Waypoint #1 because it was very "eager" to get to WP1 and my mission speed is set to 6mph and it hit 17mph on the way to WP1.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest