DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi Orbit, very disappointed

I've been using Litchi off and on for years, been happy with it until now.

Tried orbiting a POI with mini 2, although this applies to all DJI Fly operated drones.

The Orbit was unusable for filming. Constant jerky correction getting the POI recentered in frame.

I can fly a much smoother Orbit with the sticks myself, so Litchi can too. Fix this, Litchi... you're our only option now.

I believe that you can do it better manually.

But, the POI function of Lithci is not that bad.

I like this feature, it's very easy to set up and easy to operate.

As for smoothness, it really doesn't perform as well as manually. However, I think it's good enough for my needs.

One only limitation of Litchi's POI is that it is a separated function. It can not be created with Waypoint Missions and Mission Hub.

I think you'd be better off to post any real Litchi concerns/issues with their official FB page. I know that "Litchi" monitors and interacts on that page fairly often:
(click link below)

Litchi

@flylitchi · App page

Reactions: zeusfl
Run the footage through Premier Pro's Warp Stabilizer with 100% smoothness. It does a very good job of smoothing Virtual Sticks' inherent jerky/glitchy footage.

It's the gimbal. The control loop doesn't seem to "know" there is aircraft yaw occurring on demand (rather than a wind gust), so the gimbal heading keeps holding then playing catch up when the aircraft angle and gimbal angle difference exceeds the allowable threshold.

You can simulate the problem simulating an orbit holding the drone and walking in a circle.

So, apologies Litchi, this is DJI's bug.

I found the same as you, jerky video, sort it out Litchi, mini 2
Or you could be appreciative a bit for programmers who have done so much good already. They can't be perfect all the time.

Maybe you might want to ask nicely and "sort it out" yourself? It's appalling how ungrateful and demanding people get especially when they have no face and are behind a screen.

Just saying.

Or you could be appreciative a bit for programmers who have done so much good already. They can't be perfect all the time.

Maybe you might want to ask nicely and "sort it out" yourself? It's appalling how ungrateful and demanding people get especially when they have no face and are behind a screen.

Just saying.
I've been using litchi for many years but only with the mini 2 have I noticed the glitch on orbit, all my other drones have worked perfectly on POI, otherwise It's the best program I've ever used,
I have sent a message to Litchi explaining what happens with Orbit, they have always answered with a reasonable answer.

as for hiding behind a screen, my avitar shows a photo of my wife taken 2 years ago when she was 70 years old, I'm very proud of her how she has looked after herself all these years.
I'm sure many would like to see that rather than my old prune face on screen

BTW I was only answering the OPs post where he said similar to me

Last edited:

Just saying.
No, I don't think so.

These are not my friends. Nor family. My relationship with them is strictly business. I paid for functionality, and I expect to get it.

I'm not angry or arrogant... "appreciation" just isn't part of the calculus. If I order filet mignon with their famous pepper sauce at a fine restaurant, and they serve me a hunk of gristle with chicken gravy 'cause that's all they could rustle up, it won't matter how good the chef is, nor how hard he tried – I ain't gonna appreciate his effort.

I didn't pay for effort.

It is something with the SDK of drones that use the DJI Fly App.
Let me explain:
Newer drones don't support waypoints natively, and app developers like Litchi devs use something called Virtual Sticks, which simulates the movement of the sticks in real-time by the app, and sends them to the drone.
Drones that use the Go4 app such as your M2P work fine because Litchi uploads the orbit to the drone and executes it in real-time.
Virtual Stick Commands is something we all hope that DJI can fix, or at least smooth out the performance.
Well if it helps, my MA2 just did the same jerky POI flight around a huge property they are turning into apartments. I even went back and equaled out the distance between all the waypoints which were at 220ft thinking that was the issue but it was still jerky even between waypoints. In fact, I came here looking to see if there was a way to draw a perfect circle around a POI so that the drone can transition smoothly between each waypoint and then I found this thread.

I planned on using the drone to fly the same path 3 days a week until the complex is finished and then edit one 360 video that shows the progress from the first day to the last. Even if I can do a POI with the DJI Fly app, I can't hit the same exact 360 path each time. Guess it's not happening. I'll just change the plan over to take still shots every 5 seconds instead of video and then use a stacking tool in in Photoshop. Here is the site.

DJI_0076.JPG

I had the same problem with both, Litchi and Dronelink. I open a discussion about this in Dronelink beta forum and I have this response.

https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en...y-video-footage-with-Mavic-Air-2S-using-beta-

I also created a video made with Dronelink which looks better than the one created with Litchi.
FYI this was made with the Mavic Air 2S. The Mavic 2 Pro is perfect. The best drone ever.

Yup! I tried it on my MA2 with Waypoints and Orbit and both are horrible. I don't mind doing it manual but I wanted to shoot an apartment complex about to break ground by doing the same 360 path 2 days a week until the apartments are built. I can't do that manually and follow the same circumference every time.

I guess I'm using the the beta version but how do I go back and get a version that's stable and will it even help if Virtual Sticks is still a mountain their still climbing.

Yup! I tried it on my MA2 with Waypoints and Orbit and both are horrible. I don't mind doing it manual but I wanted to shoot an apartment complex about to break ground by doing the same 360 path 2 days a week until the apartments are built. I can't do that manually and follow the same circumference every time.

I guess I'm using the the beta version but how do I go back and get a version that's stable and will it even help if Virtual Sticks is still a mountain their still climbing.
When I need to do 360 I use my M2P which makes an absolutely perfect circle. Even the Mavic 3 does a pretty good job using the DJI app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk