DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi- waypoint and orbit

Hayabusa

Reactions
Haven’t flown litchinin a while. Wondering- can you set up and orbit in a waypoint mission. I set it up manually using a point of interest and set up waypoints around it but would like to get a nice clean orbit. Just curious
Mike

Reactions: Cdcolt and spud1969
A question I'd like help with as well. On a lake, want to fly out to the island while recording, (see my avatar) do an orbit around the island and return back as a saved, repeatable waypoint mission.

I have not been using Litchi very long, but I do not believe you can specifically tell the UAS to orbit a specific POI once it arrives.

I have wanted to do the same, but I have just added additional waypoints, and made sure to adjust the speed, curve size, interpolation, and gimbal angle during the sweep around the object. It is a bit of work, but I've had some great results.

One way to "test" this is using Litchi Virtual Mission and Google Earth Pro. You can virtually fly the mission and really get a great idea of what you'll end up with. This is what I am using to plan all my flights for the trip to Florida next month. Side note: the FAA does not want pilots to fly beyond a line of sight of the operator, and quite often, my missions send the UAS to where I cannot see it. Using Litchi Virtual Mission and Google Earth Pro, I check heights of buildings, trees, and other objects, and then make adjustments to the waypoints in the mission and fly it virtually again until I am happy. I figure that it's better to be safe than sorry. I do not want to damage anyone else's property and do not want to lose my drone. I can also say that each time I send her off on a mission, I pace back and forth until she arrives back, because sometimes I lose visual signal and have even lost signal between the controller and drone. When I hear the props buzzing again, I usually run inside and throw on a clean pair of boxers while she lands herself. I trust Litchi more and more each time I use it, but my point is that you need to program, verify, test, adjust, test, adjust, re-verify all of the settings before flight. It's just good practice.

Search "Litchi Virtual Mission" in this forum- there's a download link. I'm very happy with Litchi so far and wish DJI would offer this for the Mavic Air.

I have not been using Litchi very long, but I do not believe you can specifically tell the UAS to orbit a specific POI once it arrives.

I have wanted to do the same, but I have just added additional waypoints, and made sure to adjust the speed, curve size, interpolation, and gimbal angle during the sweep around the object. It is a bit of work, but I've had some great results.

One way to "test" this is using Litchi Virtual Mission and Google Earth Pro. You can virtually fly the mission and really get a great idea of what you'll end up with. This is what I am using to plan all my flights for the trip to Florida next month. Side note: the FAA does not want pilots to fly beyond a line of sight of the operator, and quite often, my missions send the UAS to where I cannot see it. Using Litchi Virtual Mission and Google Earth Pro, I check heights of buildings, trees, and other objects, and then make adjustments to the waypoints in the mission and fly it virtually again until I am happy. I figure that it's better to be safe than sorry. I do not want to damage anyone else's property and do not want to lose my drone. I can also say that each time I send her off on a mission, I pace back and forth until she arrives back, because sometimes I lose visual signal and have even lost signal between the controller and drone. When I hear the props buzzing again, I usually run inside and throw on a clean pair of boxers while she lands herself. I trust Litchi more and more each time I use it, but my point is that you need to program, verify, test, adjust, test, adjust, re-verify all of the settings before flight. It's just good practice.

Search "Litchi Virtual Mission" in this forum- there's a download link. I'm very happy with Litchi so far and wish DJI would offer this for the Mavic Air.

I've been playing with VLM and G Earth Pro for a couple weeks. . . you're right, I think this will be the way to go to test out a programmed fly-out-orbit-fly-back mission if an orbit can't be 'baked-in' to a standard WP mission.

Reactions: mereflyer
Haven’t flown litchinin a while. Wondering- can you set up and orbit in a waypoint mission. I set it up manually using a point of interest and set up waypoints around it but would like to get a nice clean orbit. Just curious
Mike
You'll have to set up a mission manually. Start in Google Earth using the measure tool (ruler icon). Choose the circle tab and make a circle of the desired radius. Save it as a KML, import it into a new mission in the Mission Hub. There may be too many way-points but you can batch select and delete to lessen the number. This will give you a clean circular orbit. Drag way-point 1 to your launch location an add additional way-points as needed to fill in the gaps between 1 and 2. Fly it with Virtual Litchi Mission to verify.

You'll have to set up a mission manually. Start in Google Earth using the measure tool (ruler icon). Choose the circle tab and make a circle of the desired radius. Save it as a KML, import it into a new mission in the Mission Hub. There may be too many way-points but you can batch select and delete to lessen the number. This will give you a clean circular orbit. Drag way-point 1 to your launch location an add additional way-points as needed to fill in the gaps between 1 and 2. Fly it with Virtual Litchi Mission to verify.
Holy crap - That's probably the coolest instruction I've got here so far. Had no idea that was possible:

Capture.JPG

That is a way cool way to do a perfect circle of waypoints! Consider me impressed. Makes me want to create one of just some arbitrary point of interest to test it out.

While I give the method above a Thumbswayup for ceativity and perfection, you can actually do this real easy in the app using “100% curved turns.”

My example isn’t as perfect but I also spent about 30 seconds on it and if you want it to be exactly perfect it wouldn’t take too much longer;)1F34A38F-101E-4607-91EE-3016392F0B00.png

Last edited:

PalmSunset - You took the words right out of my mouth. Your experiences with Litchi are mine exactly. I worry, worry, worry, when she's on a mission. But I'm getting more and more comfortable knowing she'll come home when done.

PalmSunset - You took the words right out of my mouth. Your experiences with Litchi are mine exactly. I worry, worry, worry, when she's on a mission. But I'm getting more and more comfortable knowing she'll come home when done.

Exactly!
Every time I send it out, I’m a nervous wreck editing for are-connection. So far every time. Yes, the more you do it, the more comfortable you get.
I was thinking to go use my p3s for any long attonomous flights. Might take the pucker factor out of the equation. Lol

Another excellent suggestion, brett8883. . . I really want to try both methods and see if there's any difference in the smoothness of the rotation. In case anybody wondered, my picture clip above was AFTER removing every other waypoint in the circle, so, yes, it creates a lot of points. I have only flown with Litchi on one outing and it performed flawlessly over the lake (AFTER I played with it in the yard for a while to test it!). Here's a link to the video if you're curious. My camera settings weren't great - didn't take the time to mess with it since it was just a test..

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
I finally ran the Island Loop Litchi mission this weekend. Turned out really good. Here's the Airdata flightpath & video below.

Last edited:
Reactions: bronze661
I finally ran the Island Loop Litchi mission this weekend. Turned out really good. Here's the Airdata flightpath & video below.
View attachment 70189
Very nice job. I'm very new at this, and can't figure out how to do this for the life of me. I don't have litchi yet, but as posted above about using Google Earth, I can't figure that out.

Well a nice way is to copy publicly shared mission from the mission hub and import them into your own project. Then you can tweak them to your liking. Since the missions are pubilly shared and not made private one can freely use the waypoint structure as per Lichti's terms of service.

Reactions: MavProPlat1968
Well a nice way is to copy publicly shared mission from the mission hub and import them into your own project. Then you can tweak them to your liking. Since the missions are pubilly shared and not made private one can freely use the waypoint structure as per Lichti's terms of service.
I wasnt using Google Earth Pro lol....I think I can get it figured out now!

Thank you so much for this!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98