DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi waypoints and RC disconnect

mightyarrow

Reactions
If I understand correctly, the gimbal cannot be controlled on a disconnect, but I'm confused about the details of that.

What constitutes a disconnect? Any sort of RC disconnect, or a full on 3-second RTH disconnect?

I'm having an issue with a mission on the very edge of my range failing to execute not only gimbal control, but heading too. Instead of performing an orbital style path with large curves and a heading towards a center POI, it just executed a straight look-ahead, slow circular turn.

I clearly have the headings set towards the POI in the middle of this circle, as it was on Focus POI mode, which automatically changes the heading to point the right way. Do these settings reset to 'next waypoint' if a disconnect occurs?

Trying hard to understand how the heck a disconnect truly impacts a mission, even if a tiny disconnect. I dont understand if Litchi is messing up, or the full impact of a disconnect isn't stated very well by them.

Reactions: gigamike
At the edge of your range, have you tried increasing altitude 1-2 meters? I had this problem until I slightly improved the angle and was able to control the gimbal

Altitude isn't an issue, it's the aircraft failing to change headings. My theory is that the instant a disconnect occurs and you've got Focus POI set on some waypoints, that it says "nah screw it, I'm giving you a heading towards the next waypoint, or straight ahead.

Going to do some more testing after work today where I intentionally disconnect on 2 of the same mission, with one having Focus POI turned on, and the other just having the headings set to the same spot but no focus POI.

My theory is that the first of those 2 will fail.

Right but a higher altitude will improve the angle of the radio signals between the aircraft allowing you to better control the gimbal.

That's not the point though. My question is regarding trying to understand how the AC behaves when a disconnect occurs during a Litchi mission. Disconnects are going to occur at some point or another, so I want to understand the impact.

ok, sorry, when there's a disconnect you cannot control the gimbal. For my far away points, I do the best I can to interpolate because once there, I likely can't control.

Problem solved --- it was bad app design, plain and simple. When you load a Litchi waypoint mission, it resets the global settings for heading to 'toward next waypoint', even if you already had set it to 'waypoint defined' beforehand, or if you had built the mission using Focus POI.

Bottom line -- each time I load a mission, I have to tell Litchi to use Waypoint-Defined heading. Slightly annoying but at least the fix is simple.

I deployed 4 flights yesterday to the edge of my range, and on a few, intentionally disconnected just before an 'orbital path' that looks at a POI. While the gimbal tilt didn't work (nor did I expect it to), the headings actually worked this time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627