DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi - Waypoints Question

onelostjosh

Reactions
Hey everyone,

I've heard quite a bit about Litchi, and it's functions. Before I purchase though I had a question.

Does Litchi record gimbal/camera tilt when recording waypoints? An example of this would be a reveal shot, pointing down at point 1 and full up at point 2, smoothly raising the camera through the mission.

Reactions: MadValley
Unlike DJI where you have to record each waypoint and then fly it, Litchi lets you create the mission on your PC and then transfer it to your tablet/phone, this is a much better method, Litchi can also use Google map data to ensure that the waypoints remain at a safe height by using land data to elevate the height of each waypoint, this will stop you hitting the ground if it rises signifigantly

Litchi has a function called Interpolate, you can set the camera angle for each waypoint and Litchi will move the camera accordingly from waypoint to waypoint.

Ive done several videos on Litchi, here are a couple of them

Other videos on my channel as well

Reactions: Studoo
Unlike DJI where you have to record each waypoint and then fly it, Litchi lets you create the mission on your PC and then transfer it to your tablet/phone, this is a much better method, Litchi can also use Google map data to ensure that the waypoints remain at a safe height by using land data to elevate the height of each waypoint, this will stop you hitting the ground if it rises signifigantly

Litchi has a function called Interpolate, you can set the camera angle for each waypoint and Litchi will move the camera accordingly from waypoint to waypoint.

Ive done several videos on Litchi, here are a couple of them

Other videos on my channel as well

I haven't watched your videos yet, but will.

I posted a thread that got just a couple responses about my first waypoint flight with Litchie. Maybe my expectations were way off, and my expectations turned into learning.

Two things: the "Focus on point of interest" did Not focus on the POI. It did a good job of pointing at it, keeping it in center, but completely out of focus. So instead of being focus on poi, it is point at poi.

Someone that did respond in the thread told me I must get it in position and focus before starting the flight plan. Seems to me then you would have to stop at every poi, stop the flight plan, focus, and restart. Haven't seen any such info on any of the tutorials. What's your experience?

The other thing was it paused at each way point. I did not have curves on, as that doesn't allow actions. I expected it to reach the way point and then immediately start down toward the next way point without s pause. Maybe people are editing out the pauses.

Focus on POI, yes a bit misleading as it was designed for the phantom so point at POI is a better term, the app doesn't have the ability to use the Focus that the Mavic has.

It's best to turn off AFC and manually focus at infinite before starting the mission

Yes without curves the quad stop at each WP and do the action, using curves only allows actions such as focus (Point) at POI and interpolate. I've found this good enough for most missions

...Yes without curves the quad stop at each WP and do the action, ...

It apparently stupid even if no section. And out appears tho me that you can't intermix curves and straight.

It apparently stupid even if no section. And out appears tho me that you can't intermix curves and straight.

I'm sorry what ?

I think your saying that you can't mix curves and straights, well that's a DJI SDK issue and not a fault of Litchi, in fact Litchi is using the SDK in a manner not used by DJi to bring a better flying experience.

I'm sorry what ?

I think your saying that you can't mix curves and straights, well that's a DJI SDK issue and not a fault of Litchi, in fact Litchi is using the SDK in a manner not used by DJi to bring a better flying experience.

Sorry about my idiotic post. I did it with my phone and forgot to check the usual word changes it makes.

Reactions: Exphantomflyer
Keep in mind that gimbal angle, way-point actions and aircraft speed changes are transmitted from the remote, not uploaded to the aircraft. If signal is lost on an autonomous mission both gimbal angle and speed will remain where they were at the time, but the way-point route will continue. Curved routes cannot allow way-point actions because the aircraft never reaches the actual way-points.

Reactions: Exphantomflyer
Keep in mind that gimbal angle, way-point actions and aircraft speed changes are transmitted from the remote, not uploaded to the aircraft. If signal is lost on an autonomous mission both gimbal angle and speed will remain where they were at the time, but the way-point route will continue. Curved routes cannot allow way-point actions because the aircraft never reaches the actual way-points.

Any idea why that is? Why isn't aircraft speed uploaded to the aircraft?

Litchi, as well as other software, uses the DJI SDK. This places limitations on what can and cannot be done. If on an autonomous mission you are best to just use a 'cruising' speed and set it appropriately to be able to complete the route in an acceptable time. I will usually place speed changes (if I use them) at the very start or at the very end of a mission (when I know I will have/regain radio contact). I like having the aircraft slow down at the end of a mission and usually place a few way-points in descending altitude as it approaches and returns to way-point 1.

Litchi, as well as other software, uses the DJI SDK. This places limitations on what can and cannot be done. If on an autonomous mission you are best to just use a 'cruising' speed and set it appropriately to be able to complete the route in an acceptable time. I will usually place speed changes (if I use them) at the very start or at the very end of a mission (when I know I will have/regain radio contact). I like having the aircraft slow down at the end of a mission and usually place a few way-points in descending altitude as it approaches and returns to way-point 1.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Hey everyone,

I've heard quite a bit about Litchi, and it's functions. Before I purchase though I had a question.

Does Litchi record gimbal/camera tilt when recording waypoints? An example of this would be a reveal shot, pointing down at point 1 and full up at point 2, smoothly raising the camera through the mission.

Hi I am also new here and recently bought litchi and experimented with the way points. I am very impressed with this function as the video is very smooth with the curves and the direction you want to go. As for the gimbal tilting I found that it is not as smooth.

You can see this on a video I uploaded. When the drone reach a POI you can clearly see the gimbal tilting down.

Hi I am also new here and recently bought litchi and experimented with the way points. I am very impressed with this function as the video is very smooth with the curves and the direction you want to go. As for the gimbal tilting I found that it is not as smooth.

You can see this on a video I uploaded. When the drone reach a POI you can clearly see the gimbal tilting down.

Can't sit through a 10 minute video looking for one issue, can you upload an edited version thanks

....If signal is lost on an autonomous mission both gimbal angle and speed will remain where they were at the time, but the way-point route will continue....

Be aware that problems have been reported (by me and others) concerning what happens when the RC loses signal. The flight continues as planned between waypoints but there can be a severe loss in speed, even coming to a complete stop. This is more or less random but can cause the mission to extend way beyond the expected time and put the drone in danger of not being able to RTH before the battery gives out.

So this function is really very good as long as you remain in RC contact.

Be aware that problems have been reported (by me and others) concerning what happens when the RC loses signal. The flight continues as planned between waypoints but there can be a severe loss in speed, even coming to a complete stop. This is more or less random but can cause the mission to extend way beyond the expected time and put the drone in danger of not being able to RTH before the battery gives out.

So this function is really very good as long as you remain in RC contact.

This is because things such as speed and gimbal tilt are sent to the quad from the app and if FPVconnection fails the parameters won't upload

This is because things such as speed and gimbal tilt are sent to the quad from the app and if FPVconnection fails the parameters won't upload
But Litchi specifically state that in the case of LOS the drone should continue flying at the speed it was when LOS occurred. What I'm seeing happen is that the speed drops way below both the last speed used and the standard Mission Speed.

But Litchi specifically state that in the case of LOS the drone should continue flying at the speed it was when LOS occurred. What I'm seeing happen is that the speed drops way below both the last speed used and the standard Mission Speed.

That is unusual behaviour as you say the speed shouldn't drop, I would be interested in seeing the planned mission ( use the web version and copy the web address and also a screen recording of the issue

That is unusual behaviour as you say the speed shouldn't drop, I would be interested in seeing the planned mission ( use the web version and copy the web address and also a screen recording of the issue
I don't have a screen recording but here's an example from yesterday (I hope, as I've not shared these kind of data before!)

The mission is here
And the flight log can be seen here

Everything was going well until LOS at around 4min 23sec. My recollection is that this was around WP 12/13 on the mission. At that point the speed dropped and after waiting for a couple of minutes I aborted the mission and engaged RTH manually (at about 6mins).

I set a small mission around my house and flew it normally with no problems. I repeated it and after setting the mission going I powered off the RC (!!) It flew the first few waypoints then slowed to a stop. After a minute or so it picked up speed again and completed the mission and RTH without further problems. As the RC power was off I've obviously not got any flight log to share!

(As I've been writing this reply I just had an email from Litchi support saying they're not aware of such a bug and suggesting maybe obstacle avoidance detected something. At 100m high in clear air I think not.)

I don't have a screen recording but here's an example from yesterday (I hope, as I've not shared these kind of data before!)

The mission is here
And the flight log can be seen here

Everything was going well until LOS at around 4min 23sec. My recollection is that this was around WP 12/13 on the mission. At that point the speed dropped and after waiting for a couple of minutes I aborted the mission and engaged RTH manually (at about 6mins).

I set a small mission around my house and flew it normally with no problems. I repeated it and after setting the mission going I powered off the RC (!!) It flew the first few waypoints then slowed to a stop. After a minute or so it picked up speed again and completed the mission and RTH without further problems. As the RC power was off I've obviously not got any flight log to share!

(As I've been writing this reply I just had an email from Litchi support saying they're not aware of such a bug and suggesting maybe obstacle avoidance detected something. At 100m high in clear air I think not.)

Question

your first and last waypoint are marked as an Action, which cant be used with curved turns, im not sure what you had it set to in your mission setup, if it was set to actions then the quad will slow down as it approaches each waypoint and then rotate in the desired direction this is normal behaviour, can you confirm, or better yet run the mission again without actions and set it to curved turns and just set record to auto in the options

The actions are just to start and stop recording. Everything was fine until around WP 12. When the weather improves I'll try again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000