DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lock/ disable gimbal for FPV flying

WallyJas

Reactions
Hi all,

I enjoy flying my Mavic Pro as a long range FPV 'cruiser', the FPV camera mode is ok but really the camera is still being stabilised and I'd prefer a more authentic FPV experience. I do also fly FPV mini quads, but the analogue signal is really a pain, especially after you've flown HD digital.

Is there anyway that I can lock the gimbal so that it doesn't do any stabilisation? I was thinking of actually just glueing the plastic gimbal lock into place, that would probably give me what I am after, however I understand that it will overload the gimbal and create an error. Somehow disconnecting the gimbal to disable it and keeping the camera connected is another option I thought of but have no idea what cable in the ribbon is for that control.

Is there anyway around this at all, I'm prepared to make permanent changes if that's what is required. These changes just need to consider that I still need the camera to function.

Thanks in advance for any advice / guidance.

Cheers,

Jas

Even if you depower the gimbal, locking it to the body will give terrible jello as well as tripping out the gyro and crashing the camera firmware.

I unplug the gimbal ribbon cable and tape the gimbal joints at the angles I want. This keeps the vibration dampers and gives you that FPV look and feel.

Even if you depower the gimbal, locking it to the body will give terrible jello as well as tripping out the gyro and crashing the camera firmware.

I unplug the gimbal ribbon cable and tape the gimbal joints at the angles I want. This keeps the vibration dampers and gives you that FPV look and feel.

Great, can you give me more details on how to unplug the gimbal but keep the camera connected? Thanks heaps

Great, can you give me more details on how to unplug the gimbal but keep the camera connected? Thanks heaps
The flat ribbon cable is for the gimbal. Video is the multi strand cable. Unplug the ribbon cable from the camera board and tape the end over.

Why not just buy one of these: Buy DJI Digital FPV System – Drone Racing Video Transmission – DJI Store

Locking the gimbal on a $1000 drone would be like buying a Cadillac (or other smooth-riding automobile) and replacing the springs and shocks with a pipe, so it can't work.

Yes …. I understand what you are saying. What the Mavic gives over all other quads is:

- integrated OSD
- reliable RTH
- GPS hold hover
- rock solid HD video
- excellent ground station
- long flight time

I could build my own quad with most of the above (other than long flight time) and use the new DJI FPV system, but it wouldn't be as integrated as the Mavic. Besides, I already own a Mavic and a set of DJI googles, all I need to do is lock the gimbal and I have it all. :)

Reactions: lolo780
You know that there is a setting in go4 to simply lock it right?

You know that there is a setting in go4 to simply lock it right?

Are you referring to 'FPV mode'? If so, nothing actually gets locked. What happens is the gimbal actively moves the camera in the opposite direction to the movement of the airframe. So it's still stabilised and not actually locked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada