DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Locking the camera on the horizon. Possible?

lomposlapos

Reactions
How can I "lock" the Mavic 3 camera (with RC Pro) on the horizon while the drone is climbing straight up from let's say 20 m to max altitude?

I want the distant horizon level to remain at the same height in the picture frame throughout the climb (or descend). In other words, the proportion of Earth and sky to stay constant throughout the climb.

How can I "lock" the Mavic 3 camera (with RC Pro) on the horizon while the drone is climbing straight up from let's say 20 m to max altitude?

I want the distant horizon level to remain at the same height in the picture frame throughout the climb (or descend). In other words, the proportion of Earth and sky to stay constant throughout the climb.
Can't be done. You'll need to manually adjust the gimbal elevation as necessary.

Slow ascent and a gentle finger on the gimbal adjustment. And when you look at the video, you will find it less steady than you imagine. Slow it down in post and get rid of the aberrations.

Could this be done with waypoints? Just an idea ...
No. He's only ascending, and there is no automated gimbal control that can do what he wants. It has to be done manually.

Last edited:
I never tried setting two waypoints in the same position, just different in height. Can somebody confirm that this is not working?

May the OP try it. I'm nowhere near my drone for a couple of weeks. Was just voicing an idea, not volunteering to testing everything out.
Even if it were possible, It has no utility for the OP. It can't do the gimbal control he is seeking, which still has to be done manually.

Even if it were possible, It has no utility for the OP. It can't do the gimbal control he is seeking, which still has to be done manually.
My idea is like this: set a waypoint at the lowest height, adjusting the gimbal to have the horizon centered. Then set a waypoint at the highest height, adjusting the gimbal to have the horizon centered.
Shouldn't the drone then interpolate not just the height, but also the gimbal position?
How accurate that would be I can't say. Maybe more waypoints would be necessary. Wished I could try.

My idea is like this: set a waypoint at the lowest height, adjusting the gimbal to have the horizon centered. Then set a waypoint at the highest height, adjusting the gimbal to have the horizon centered.
Shouldn't the drone then interpolate not just the height, but also the gimbal position?
How accurate that would be I can't say. Maybe more waypoints would be necessary. Wished I could try.
I do like your thinking. It might even be possible with Waypoints. However, even if it is, I doubt the extra effort necessary would be easier than just manually adjusting the gimbal during an ascension. However, he may disagree. Depends upon how badly he wants to automate it vs. doing it manually.

Reactions: codex22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom