DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long expose shots

Burkett1983

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to drones. I recently upgraded from a spark to a Mavic air and was wondering if it's capable of doing long expose shots for night time photography. I enjoy taking pictures and use my drone for photography only. The shots I'm planning to take involve 2 old cathedrals. They are well up light at night, I think it could make for some dramatic photos.

Thanks for your help

@Burkett1983 I'm not sure the specifics of the Mavic Air, but I've been doing long exposure shots with the Pro for a while. You need to set the camera photo to Manual and then set the shutter speed as desired, 8 seconds max (Go App v4.1.3) and adjust the ISO as needed (I try to stick with ISO 100 if possible)

Should I use Tripod mode?
Not necessarily. I haven't used Tripod mode yet, so I'm not sure what I'd gain. I prefer flying all manual.

In the example shot in my earlier post, there was a slight breeze (1-2 mph if that), but I was far away from the subject where the drift of several inches didn't affect the shot in a noticable way.

It took me several sessions experimenting under different combinations (subject light, wind, ambient light, distance, elevation) and camera setting to get feel of what is needed going forward.

You just need to get out and test. That's the big thing.

Also, the drone doesnt necessarily have to be in the air for testing. Prior to launch, I always do a series of test shots to dial in the best setting for that situation, then fine tune the settings in flight . In fact, I've had some really good ground shots, such as this pic at ISO 100 for 8 seconds...
IMG_20180318_002223_843.jpg

Should I use Tripod mode?

If you're hovering (which you'll want to do for a long exposure shot), tripod mode won't make a difference. "Tripod" mode isn't like using a tripod - it simply slows down user inputs when maneuvering during flight, creating slow, smooth changes in flight attitude or direction. A hover (with a good gimbal to correct for slight changes), will work no matter what mode you're in (even sport mode is the same if you're not moving).

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to drones. I recently upgraded from a spark to a Mavic air and was wondering if it's capable of doing long expose shots for night time photography. I enjoy taking pictures and use my drone for photography only. The shots I'm planning to take involve 2 old cathedrals. They are well up light at night, I think it could make for some dramatic photos.

Thanks for your help

Good advice here, but be aware that the max shutter for an Air may be only 2 sec, versus 8 sec for the Pro. (I stand to be corrected - that just from my reading of DJIs spec sheet)

Can't wait for a nice evening to get out and experiment with this. Maybe over the weekend!

Can't wait for a nice evening to get out and experiment with this. Maybe over the weekend!
You should try and do some ground testing from the backyard/frontyard this evening to establish some baselines. That way, you can be more prepared and make better use of the narrow window during the golden hour, where you might have some contrasts to balance out (dim foreground against a brighter sky) to minimize over / under exposure while on site.

They key is stability. The air doesn't hold as well as the pro in wind, so make sure there is very little wind about otherwise you will get blur. I tend to go no more than 2 secs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J