DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long exposure help

dirtfishingman

Reactions
Help with night time long exposure photography. I live in a very small city not alot of night time traffic but i was just playing around and see if i can nail it. what settings would you all suggest to get that car streaking effect

Attachments

• DJI_0661 edit.jpg
    DJI_0661 edit.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 84
  • DJI_0665 edit.jpg
    DJI_0665 edit.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 83
Not bad for MM. I usually don't get anything out of dark scenes. Then again I'm almost always in video mode, and that always comes out darker.

Reactions: Emanáku
I was using ISO 100 and shutter 2.5 or 4 i cant remember I was kinda just up there messing around and i was in manual and C mode
If that gets a decent overall exposure without too much overall blur (gimbal can do only do much), 2 to 4 second shutter should get moving car blur. The blur comes from the movement of the car lights during those 2 to 4 seconds.

Reactions: dirtfishingman
Help with night time long exposure photography. I live in a very small city not alot of night time traffic but i was just playing around and see if i can nail it. what settings would you all suggest to get that car streaking effect
Don't you have it there? I see the car lights blurred in both photos. (The blur comes from the movement of the car lights during those 2 to 4 seconds.) Really?

It depends how fast the car is going. Try starting at 2 sec exposure if the car is 100m away and driving 50 kmph.You can also do AEB and HDR blend the images together, so that you don't overexpose the bright lights and still get your long exposure for 8sec., for example.

I did but wanted to have a better understanding on the settings
Agreed. I always here bracketing your exposures in photography is a great way to do it, and gives you the one you like best. If you can do that on the fly, you'll have it.
You may get a quick answer here, but, by figuring it out yourself it can be most satisfying, and if you get it, you can teach us. Good luck.

Hi, I agree with Lets Fly :)
I use the Mini with Litchi app (beta on iOS), Pano mode with AEB, and I start with 1 second exposure (here are no cars :) ). Sometimes I try to stitch three photos together as a HDR and then do the panorama, but usually the results are not that good. Better works just a panorama with the series of pics that "look best" out of the SD card :)
Here is an example of our village in the Andes of Peru (3000 m altitude, the drone flies at 100 meters, there is a bit of wind). The "yellow rivers" are streets with their yellow street lights.

Attachments

• 20200921-1001-DJI_0216-Pano-2.jpg
    20200921-1001-DJI_0216-Pano-2.jpg
    989.5 KB · Views: 17
i hear no one talking about ND Filters, would those not help?

i hear no one talking about ND Filters, would those not help?
ND filters have the effect that less light reaches the sensor.
At night you usually have the problem, that there is not enough light anyway - so you don't need a filter reducing the light :)
An exception could be a city scene with lots of very bright lights....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair