DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long flight over Derwent Edge.

Pixies channel

Reactions
Derwent Edge is a Millstone Grit escarpment that lies above the Upper Derwent Valley in the Peak District National Park in the English county of Derbyshire. An Ordnance Survey column marks the highest point of the Edge at Back Tor (538 metres, 1765 feet). North of Back Tor the edge extends into Howden Edge and enters the county of South Yorkshire. The Millstone Grit forms the edge of the high peat moorland plateau on the eastern side of the valley above Ladybower Reservoir, the edges being the last remains of the gritstone which originally covered all of the Peak District, most of which was scraped off by glaciers in the last ice age. The Edge itself is notable for its unusual gritstone tors and its views of the Derwent Valley and the Dark Peak landscape; these features along with its proximity to Sheffield have made it a popular venue for walkers. Its popularity has led to substantial path erosion and the most affected parts of the edge between The Salt Cellar and Lost Lad Hillend have been paved with natural stone slabs to reduce further damage as part of the Lottery Paths Project.

I got a kick out of you and your buddies on the ridge, or at least I assume that was you with a controller. Kind of reminded me of the old British comedy "Last of the Summer Wine"!

That was my mate holding the controller, I was the sat on the edge of the rock holding my arms out wide. Were like three rag and bone men lol, Thanks for watching.

Reactions: Twocalf
A nice view of Ladybower reservoir from the air - and I'm glad to see that you managed to get as far as showing the dam wall of Derwent reservoir.

Do you realise that during WW2, that part of the valley and the associated dams was used as part of the training for the Dams raid?

I live in a village about 15 mile or so east of Sheffield, and my parents used to tell me of seeing these Lancaster bombers flying very low up the nearby valley where Creswell lies and wondering why they were flying so low. It wasn't until a while after the Dams Raid information was published that it all became clear.

About a handful of miles east of Derwent there is another reservoir - Dale Dyke Dam - that collapsed in 1864 with the loss of around 264 lives as the water swept down the valley. The damage done in that flooding was what gave Barnes Wallis the idea for damaging the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams.

A nice view of Ladybower reservoir from the air - and I'm glad to see that you managed to get as far as showing the dam wall of Derwent reservoir.

Do you realise that during WW2, that part of the valley and the associated dams was used as part of the training for the Dams raid?

I live in a village about 15 mile or so east of Sheffield, and my parents used to tell me of seeing these Lancaster bombers flying very low up the nearby valley where Creswell lies and wondering why they were flying so low. It wasn't until a while after the Dams Raid information was published that it all became clear.

About a handful of miles east of Derwent there is another reservoir - Dale Dyke Dam - that collapsed in 1864 with the loss of around 264 lives as the water swept down the valley. The damage done in that flooding was what gave Barnes Wallis the idea for damaging the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams.

Hi, yes I new the Lancaster bombers came here to practise the dropping of the bombs, Only 15 miles away hey, Maybe we can meet up somewhere for a fly, Some useful information their mate thank you.

Reactions: Whitwellian
Hi, yes I new the Lancaster bombers came here to practise the dropping of the bombs, Only 15 miles away hey, Maybe we can meet up somewhere for a fly, Some useful information their mate thank you.
Yes, be good to have a get together for a flight - if you drop the "ian" from my name, you'll guess where I'm from (Derbyshire one) - what neck of the woods do you live in?

Within reason, I'm happy to travel for a meet as time's my own (retired)

Reactions: Pixies channel
Yes, be good to have a get together for a flight - if you drop the "ian" from my name, you'll guess where I'm from (Derbyshire one) - what neck of the woods do you live in?

Within reason, I'm happy to travel for a meet as time's my own (retired)

I live in Sheffield mate 2 minutes drive from Sheffield city centre, I can travel to Derbyshire which I normally do anyway, I went to magpie mines today so I go anywhere if it's not too far away. name the time and place and maybe we can meet up.

**** - I had thought of heading to Magpie Mine over the past week or so, but I was scheduled for the Gas man to come to call today (thank goodness I've not had the problems that Flanders & Swan had)

I'm a bit busy at present with chores at home - but in a weekor so, should all be sorted.

Reactions: Pixies channel
**** - I had thought of heading to Magpie Mine over the past week or so, but I was scheduled for the Gas man to come to call today (thank goodness I've not had the problems that Flanders & Swan had)

I'm a bit busy at present with chores at home - but in a weekor so, should all be sorted.

That's fine when your good and ready.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura