DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Longest Time lapse with M2P?

Spazz

Reactions
It took 16 minutes to shoot 250 pics at 6 second intervals.... gave me a 10 second video. oh... and had slight winds at 300 ft up and got down to 6 % on the battery!

Whats the longest you have achieved? Guess if I go the math I can get more than 10 seconds within 20 -25 minute flight time... if it will make it that long

Time Lapse- North Valleys, Reno, NV

Generally speaking time-lapse of real life work best at 2 second intervals. You can always ramp the video later if you want it to play faster, but having the extra frames is a real bonus. Would have made your video 20 seconds long - btw, your maths doesn't add up if you only flew for 16 minutes. If you managed a 25 minute time-lapse you would get a 31 second movie at 2 second intervals.

Generally speaking time-lapse of real life work best at 2 second intervals. You can always ramp the video later if you want it to play faster, but having the extra frames is a real bonus. Would have made your video 20 seconds long - btw, your maths doesn't add up if you only flew for 16 minutes. If you managed a 25 minute time-lapse you would get a 31 second movie at 2 second intervals.

Im not trying to do the math on this one.. LOL!!! I know I set it for 6 second intervals for a 10 second video and it took 16 minutes to shoot 250 pics... at 8 minutes in I was at 125 pics.

I am just getting started with the M2P and hyperlapse... so this is all a learning curve for sure... the 2 second interval makes complete sense! gonna try that next... may at sunset I will give it a shot.. thanks!!!

If want a longer hyperlapse "effect", shoot continuous video in 4K at 30fps and just speed it up in post to whatever length you desire. No one will be able to tell the difference, except it will be in 4K, and the DJI generated one will be limited to 1080p.

If want a longer hyperlapse "effect", shoot continuous video in 4K at 30fps and just speed it up in post to whatever length you desire. No one will be able to tell the difference, except it will be in 4K, and the DJI generated one will be limited to 1080p.
Much depends on what you are shooting. If you want motion blur or light trails 30fps video will not do it.

Much depends on what you are shooting. If you want motion blur or light trails 30fps video will not do it.
Indeed. However, most of the posted hyperlapses I have seen aren't used for motion blur or light trails. They are just a waste of a battery, with not much to show for it. They would better have been shot in 4K and just speeded up in post.

Indeed. However, most of the posted hyperlapses I have seen aren't used for motion blur or light trails. They are just a waste of a battery, with not much to show for it. They would better have been shot in 4K and just speeded up in post.
How are they a waste of battery? Does it take more battery to cover 18 minutes of activity with photos rather than covering the same 18 minutes with a video?

Reactions: Thomas B
I tried the same scenario with 4k video instead of hyperlapse... I flew straight up 300 feet.. never moved, and began thr record video.. 16 minutes and still had 40% battery remaining unlike the hyperlapse mode that took the same time and I only had 10% battery left... he may have a point
How are they a waste of battery? Does it take more battery to cover 18 minutes of activity with photos rather than covering the same 18 minutes with a video?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The length of the resulting DJI hyperlapse is determined by the interval between still photos. You can't change that after the fact. The DJI generated hyperlapse is only a 1080p video, and it takes 900 stills at one per second over 18 minutes to create a 30 second video. If you shoot a still every 2 seconds, your resulting hyperlapse will only be 15 seconds long. If you shoot a still every 3 seconds, your hyperlapse will only be 10 seconds long. If you shoot in 4K over 18 minutes, you'll not only have a useable 4K video, but you can also create a 4K hyperlapse of any duration you choose from it, by simply altering the playback speed, without reshooting it.

The first question everyone asks is how do I create hyperlapse of longer than 30 seconds. You can't, because of the limitations of the battery. The second question is how do I get a higher quality hyperlapse video than 1080p. Shooting video in 4K instead of a hyperlapse of stills solves both problems.

If you alter the 4k video playback speed then you can exceed 30 seconds, as you mention above the comment on not being able to exceed 30 seconds?

When I use photos I like to make my own using Lightroom and an NLE, that way I can have a resulting video that is 4K and choose a frame rate other than 30fps, 24fps will allow for a longer video. It also allows for some pleasing blur for certain scenes that a 30fps video will not produce.

Several choices on how to get a hyperlapse.

Last edited:
The hyperlapse are actually not 1080 ( yes if you use automatically generated) they're after stabilizing in post process manually made at 5.5k ...quiet more powerful for video editing as well.

Here's mine at 5.5k and it's a great addition to a video that 4k video cannot reproduce.

Here's in this video as addition to video:

- For lazy to watch whole video hyper is at: 0:38

If you alter the 4k video playback speed then you can exceed 30 seconds, as you mention above the comment on not being able to exceed 30 seconds?

When I use photos I like to make my own using Lightroom and an NLE, that way I can have a resulting video that is 4K and choose a frame rate other than 30fps, 24fps will allow for a longer video. It also allows for some pleasing blur for certain scenes that a 30fps video will not produce.

Several choices on how to get a hyperlapse.
Indeed. That works, too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan