DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a pilot to assist with a commercial video

Sakonne

Reactions
I will be in Las Vegas to shoot a commercial video early am on Saturday August 31st.
I am curious if anyone is interested or available to be a licensed drone pilot to assist in a few shots I need.
It will be roughly, a 2 to 3 hours shoot.

Compensation and post shoot beer included.

Cheers!

View attachment DS_JR_2019.png

I will be in Las Vegas to shoot a commercial video early am on Saturday August 31st.
I am curious if anyone is interested or available to be a licensed drone pilot to assist in a few shots I need.
It will be roughly, a 2 to 3 hours shoot.

Compensation and post shoot beer included.

Cheers!

View attachment 80001
A lot more details really would be helpful and also get you more responses:
  • Do you provide the drone? If so, what model?
  • Where exactly is it? If in controlled airspace, will you be getting LAANC authorization in advance?
  • What if the weather does not agree? Do you have a potential rain date?
  • What is the nature of this job? Just a video shoot really doesn't mean much.
  • Do you only want a local pilot or would you consider someone who would travel to the site?
  • Will the exact requirements of the shoot be provided or do you just have a general outline and then leave it up to the pilot.
  • Will any post production work be needed, or do you only need the raw video?
  • Is compensation provided on the day of the shoot? In advance?
In other words, the more details the better. You don't have a long lead time so the details will allow you to get qualified responses quickly.

Oh and...
Yes I am a licensed, experienced, safe pilot and would be available :cool:

Thank you PhantomFandom and Vegasdad, point well taken. I didn't mean to come off cryptic. I just didn't want to bombard everyone with too many details...

So I'm looking for a licensed pilot who owns their own drone to follow an already established storyboard. I of course made this storyboard, however I could be open to adjustments should the wisdom of an experience pilot prove consistent with my clients already agreed upon vision. The shots I need from the drone are overhead following a runner along a trail, and another where the runner stops and the drone ascends pretty high. I will be shooting several other sequences with my own gear.

I plan to shoot on a trail in Mount Charleston or near Boulder City. I plan to apply for commercial permits and any other required documents, however, I could be missing something not being experience with drones and the quickly changing rules. So assistance in that respects to make sure all the red tape is correct would be very helpful.

As far as I can tell right now the locations I would like to film at don't require filing with LAANC...

To answer the question about rain date, I plan to shoot regardless of weather.... Can a drone be flown in light rain? If it does rain I would have to reschedule. Owing to other factors I would have to wait to make a re-shoot date should the weather prevent. My client is aware of this. Although rain in this context would only reinforce the vibe.

This footage will be used for a commercial film for Nativah Chaya, they make custom maps and are looking to highlight a new feature on their website. Distribution would be online per contract. A pilot would be listed in the film credits.

I do not require any assistance with editing. I take the raw footage and I save your contact in case I have a future job should we work well together.

I am open to someone traveling, but budget constraints on this project at this time prevent me from paying for travel. So I assume local is better. I plan to pay the same day and will work out compensation with a pilot after we have talked in more detail.

I am, among many things, the owner of an invitation only design company that works in the fields of art, cinema, fashion, architecture, material science and fabrication, including robotics and artificial intelligence. My office is somewhere between art and practice and sometimes we take on projects we find interesting. We curate our online identity and you won't find any of our work online. We tend to be more behind the scenes people.

If your still interested I would love to have a phone call to discuss further details.

Sincerely,

Keven

Reactions: hansinla
*Update*

Just notified that owing to fire season my permit application has been delayed and now looking for an alternative shoot location... more to come as I find one....

In fact, open to suggestions where a person can run up a hill with a drone flying overhead under 60ft, away from any park, municipality or other limitations because the location does not matter.

Last edited:
Thank you PhantomFandom and Vegasdad, point well taken. I didn't mean to come off cryptic. I just didn't want to bombard everyone with too many details...

So I'm looking for a licensed pilot who owns their own drone to follow an already established storyboard. I of course made this storyboard, however I could be open to adjustments should the wisdom of an experience pilot prove consistent with my clients already agreed upon vision. The shots I need from the drone are overhead following a runner along a trail, and another where the runner stops and the drone ascends pretty high. I will be shooting several other sequences with my own gear.

I plan to shoot on a trail in Mount Charleston or near Boulder City. I plan to apply for commercial permits and any other required documents, however, I could be missing something not being experience with drones and the quickly changing rules. So assistance in that respects to make sure all the red tape is correct would be very helpful.

As far as I can tell right now the locations I would like to film at don't require filing with LAANC...

To answer the question about rain date, I plan to shoot regardless of weather.... Can a drone be flown in light rain? If it does rain I would have to reschedule. Owing to other factors I would have to wait to make a re-shoot date should the weather prevent. My client is aware of this. Although rain in this context would only reinforce the vibe.

This footage will be used for a commercial film for Nativah Chaya, they make custom maps and are looking to highlight a new feature on their website. Distribution would be online per contract. A pilot would be listed in the film credits.

I do not require any assistance with editing. I take the raw footage and I save your contact in case I have a future job should we work well together.

I am open to someone traveling, but budget constraints on this project at this time prevent me from paying for travel. So I assume local is better. I plan to pay the same day and will work out compensation with a pilot after we have talked in more detail.

I am, among many things, the owner of an invitation only design company that works in the fields of art, cinema, fashion, architecture, material science and fabrication, including robotics and artificial intelligence. My office is somewhere between art and practice and sometimes we take on projects we find interesting. We curate our online identity and you won't find any of our work online. We tend to be more behind the scenes people.

If your still interested I would love to have a phone call to discuss further details.

Sincerely,

Keven
Thank you for the details. That is much more helpful. Sorry that your shoot was delayed. Please let us know when you have a new date and location.

Thank you for the details. That is much more helpful. Sorry that your shoot was delayed. Please let us know when you have a new date and location.
Same date if I can find somewhere were I don't have to file a bunch of paperwork. If that magical location doesn't exist then I will have to reschedule...

actually looking at maybe Potosi mountain?

Last edited:

Sincerely,

Keven
I forgot to answer a few of your questions in this post. They pertain to your potential new shoot location as well:
  • Personally I do NOT fly in any sort of rain or even if there is a substantial chance of rain in the forecast. A light rain an turn into a heavy rain in a few seconds. These drones are not waterproof and I would not risk my equipment. Yes I know some people believe in those wet suits, but I don't buy it.
  • Assuming this is a single-pilot shoot, the intended path of this runner on a path should be scoped out to make sure it is completely clear of any overhanging trees and branches. Either that or the flight path must be planned at the correct offset/altitude to preclude any obstructions in the flight path. A single pilot will need to focus on the runner and the flight path. Having to avoid obstacles would be a heavy workload. With two pilots (on an Inspire), then you could potentially have more complex terrain since the pilot could focus just on the flight path and the videographer could focus on the shot.
  • The new location seems to be in the Rainbow Mountain Wilderness Area. You would need to check with them to see what their restrictions may be for flights there.

Reactions: Sakonne

Sincerely,

Keven

Keven, which format do you want to shoot on? HD, UHD, 4K, 6K? Any codec that you want.
The more high end your production is, the more you must expect to pay for equipment (box) rental.
Good luck with your project.

Hans

Reactions: Sakonne
I forgot to answer a few of your questions in this post. They pertain to your potential new shoot location as well:
  • Personally I do NOT fly in any sort of rain or even if there is a substantial chance of rain in the forecast. A light rain an turn into a heavy rain in a few seconds. These drones are not waterproof and I would not risk my equipment. Yes I know some people believe in those wet suits, but I don't buy it.
  • Assuming this is a single-pilot shoot, the intended path of this runner on a path should be scoped out to make sure it is completely clear of any overhanging trees and branches. Either that or the flight path must be planned at the correct offset/altitude to preclude any obstructions in the flight path. A single pilot will need to focus on the runner and the flight path. Having to avoid obstacles would be a heavy workload. With two pilots (on an Inspire), then you could potentially have more complex terrain since the pilot could focus just on the flight path and the videographer could focus on the shot.
  • The new location seems to be in the Rainbow Mountain Wilderness Area. You would need to check with them to see what their restrictions may be for flights there.
Thank you for your input! Theres a lot more involved with this venture than originally anticipated. All good information though. Two pilots, got it, rain does matter. And a two month process. A lot has changed, (and not a bad thing).

Keven, which format do you want to shoot on? HD, UHD, 4K, 6K? Any codec that you want.
The more high end your production is, the more you must expect to pay for equipment (box) rental.
Good luck with your project.

Hans
owing to online distribution HD.... but I would prefer higher and may in the end do so.

owing to online distribution HD.... but I would prefer higher and may in the end do so.
If it's online distribution, I personally would go with 1080P. Smaller size, easier to edit (hardware requirements), and won't make any difference to the human eye.

I am a newbie drone pilot and a licensed single engine pilot. Quite honestly I found it easier to fly a Cessna 172 than a drone. Love my Mavic air and mini and look forward to flying both as that access is easier than my manned plane. Thinking about your “job” it appears that perhaps you should try that new Skydio drone that they are saying is crash proof in follow me mode.
love my Mavics and enjoy the Challenge of flying them. I assume that DJI will soon follow with a drone similar to the Skydio after they take it apart and analyze is crash proof worthiness.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf