DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for feedback on real estate video

jrjackman

Reactions
I am trying to get some practice putting real estate videos together, and have created my first video of a home in Southern Utah. I am looking for feedback on what works well, and what areas I could improve on. Please share your thoughts:

Reactions: Aerobatty and RTKD
Nice house and a great price! I liked it for the most part. Underexposed in areas and could not see details of the house. Lots of shadows. I like the low altitude shots which gave a good perspective. Nice touch to throw some scenery shots in there as well. Seemed a little long, but I don't really know the proper length of this type of thing.

Reactions: jrjackman
Well done. My first suggestion for the drone is that you turn off auto white balance. It corrects constantly during the shot, and it looks more professional if you lock it down. This is a style thing, but I would also suggest trying longer shots. A good example is the gate, if you had continued that shot into a direct overhead with a downturning of the gimbal it provides a greater sense of the space.
A little more color correction on the dark shadows would bring them up without destroying your overall contrast. I use Davinci Reslove for color correction, it's fantastic.
Lastly, if you mix some DSLR footage into this, like a gently panning 50mm macro of some surface texture, it would really bring it all together. Those shots carry the feeling into the rest of the video, it helps you almost feel the warmth on the red stone.

Great work!

Looks good !

Wondering if you considered adding some soft transitions between the shots ?

I am trying to get some practice putting real estate videos together, and have created my first video of a home in Southern Utah. I am looking for feedback on what works well, and what areas I could improve on. Please share your thoughts:
IMO - WAY to much flying around! Take in the 80/20. 80% DSLR details and 20% flying around, or less!
Believe it or not, aerial shots let you know where the RE is, and the surroundings - that's it. It gives no details to the viewer which is needed for a polished look. Bring in a GoPro, OSMO, smooth glide, DSRL, whatever to get those details of the polished faucet and counter tops, the shine of the tile floor, door handles, etc. Think of it like editing a wedding. If the bride only sees you fly fly fly, you'll be out of a job!

Last edited:
Reactions: RTKD
I like most of the pics. The video is too long. Cut out repeated shots such as several pics of the pool. Does a buyer really need to see the pool from that many angles? Pick your best shot and trash the rest. The gate shot would have been real cool with a fly-up to the house. The shot of the wall with the windows reflecting the mountains may be artistic but is it really showing the potential home buyer anything? Think in terms of telling a story. These are only my opinions feel free to ignore.

Reactions: RTKD and jrjackman
IMO - WAY to much flying around! Take in the 80/20. 80% DSLR details and 20% flying around, or less!
Believe it or not, aerial shots let you know where the RE is, and the surroundings - that's it. It gives no details to the viewer which is needed for a polished look. Bring in a GoPro, OSMO, smooth glide, DSRL, whatever to get those details of the polished faucet and counter tops, the shine of the tile floor, door handles, etc. Think of it like editing a wedding. If the bride only sees you fly fly fly, you'll be out of a job!
The 80/20 is an interesting idea. I had never really thought about it. Thanks for the feedback.

I like most of the pics. The video is too long. Cut out repeated shots such as several pics of the pool. Does a buyer really need to see the pool from that many angles? Pick your best shot and trash the rest. The gate shot would have been real cool with a fly-up to the house. The shot of the wall with the windows reflecting the mountains may be artistic but is it really showing the potential home buyer anything? Think in terms of telling a story. These are only my opinions feel free to ignore.
I am new to photography, and was really excited about the types of shots I could get with the drone. From the buyers perspective, you are correct. Thanks for the feedback.

Well done. My first suggestion for the drone is that you turn off auto white balance. It corrects constantly during the shot, and it looks more professional if you lock it down. This is a style thing, but I would also suggest trying longer shots. A good example is the gate, if you had continued that shot into a direct overhead with a downturning of the gimbal it provides a greater sense of the space.
A little more color correction on the dark shadows would bring them up without destroying your overall contrast. I use Davinci Reslove for color correction, it's fantastic.
Lastly, if you mix some DSLR footage into this, like a gently panning 50mm macro of some surface texture, it would really bring it all together. Those shots carry the feeling into the rest of the video, it helps you almost feel the warmth on the red stone.

Great work!
I was wondering why the colors kept changing, but that makes sense. I will have to take a look at that next time I fly. The red stone in southern Utah is beautiful, and I want to be sure that I capture that next time. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: RTKD
Thank you all for your comments, they are extremely helpful. I am new into photography, and the drone is my first purchase. It sounds like I am going to have to budget for a nice DSLR camera to enhance my videos.

Good vid' ... Agree with the above and especially the comment #5 ... The sudden jumps between scenes were a bit jarring. If you 'faded' from one to the next it would give a better feel of gentle movement around the property. You'll be doing these like a champ' before long!

Reactions: RTKD and jrjackman
Good effort.
RTKD suggested using a DSLR in addition to your drone footage. You might also want to consider getting an Osmo Pocket. This new toy is extremely portable and provides lovely smooth video, even when walking with it. It would help your transitions from outside of the house (drone footage) to video inside the house.
I bought an Osmo recently and have been very impressed with the video quality, ease of use and portability.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661