DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for some advice on how I could have improved my first drone video.

John_McF

Reactions
Hi Guys

In early January 2020, my wife and I spent a few days visiting the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, California. Her plan was to shoot landscape images in this amazing location. My goal was to make my first flights with my newly purchased DJI Mavic Mini drone. I cautiously practiced basic flying skills, including flying close to the ground and eventually moved on to some more tricky techniques, including orbiting. I also experimented with the Mavic Mini's QuickShots and of these, I definitely prefer the "Circle."

It wasn't my intention to try to create a finished video when I shot the somewhat random the clips but having recently started to learn video editing with Filmora9, I though I would see what I could do. The video includes a variety of the clips, including flying close to the ground, several orbits of large rock formations and a "Circle" QuickShot with my wife as the subject near the end.

As you can see, the lighting conditions changed from overcast to partly cloudy to bright sunlight, so that was a bit challenging. The clips included in the video are straight from the camera and not color graded. I don't have any experience with color grading, so I'd be interested in knowing if that's something I should be considering with any future videos. Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for posting, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, the scenery looks amazing.
For a first attempt at flying and putting together a video it is very good. I loved your final scene with the car driving off in to the distance.

Thanks for your time.
Hi John,
Sorry if my english is not perfect! (I´m a german speaking Swissman)
for the first flights you really did a very good job, congrats! I hope that you don´t mind if I played a bit around with your video!
As you can see I did some color corrections. I only did increase a little bit the saturation, hopefully you like it :)
Moreover I reversed the shots at 0.44 0.52 and 1.08..Why? Well it makes the shot more interesting because it reveals more and more interesting details, as for example the amazing rock formations. If the shot goes forwards one can see everyting in the scene and there is nothing new to discover.
At 2.33 I made a slow zoom in, aswell at 2.49 The smooth movement gives a little bit more dynamic to the shot!
At 3.13 I did a slow zoom out. As Dumsagard said the final scene looks very good with the car driving off!
All in all your video is worth watching, the music fits well and all the shots are very well done!
It´s really a fantastic region, thanks for sharing it!
cheers Paul.................BTW if you want me to delete "my video" because of my avatar please tell me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scuddzy and 4score
Very good first video. Good timing on the length of the shots. I think that the color is fine very natural with no execrations.

Try varying the framing of your shots more. Many are the same height with the same framing.

An endemic problem with drone movies generally is that they end up being just a collection of shots with no real structure. Ideally you want the structure to evolve to some visual climax or culmination.

Reactions: John_McF and 4score
Hi Guys

In early January 2020, my wife and I spent a few days visiting the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, California. Her plan was to shoot landscape images in this amazing location. My goal was to make my first flights with my newly purchased DJI Mavic Mini drone. I cautiously practiced basic flying skills, including flying close to the ground and eventually moved on to some more tricky techniques, including orbiting. I also experimented with the Mavic Mini's QuickShots and of these, I definitely prefer the Dronie.

It wasn't my intention to try to create a finished video when I shot the somewhat random the clips but having recently started to learn video editing with Filmora9, I though I would see what I could do. The video includes a variety of the clips, including flying close to the ground, several orbits of large rock formations and a Dronie with my wife as the subject near the end.

As you can see, the lighting conditions changed from overcast to partly cloudy to bright sunlight, so that was a bit challenging. The clips included in the video are straight from the camera and not color graded. I don't have any experience with color grading, so I'd be interested in knowing if that's something I should be considering with any future videos. Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

John

Hi John:

This was a wonderful film and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You captured the essence of the area beautifully. I did a solo trip there October, 2017 but did not have a drone at that time. I mostly concentrated in on still images and timelapse. The Eastern Sierras is a wonderful place to fly and photograph and I highly recommend it. You can see my images on my website. www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com and got to BROWSE, and Eastern SierraNevadaMountains October,2017.

Reactions: John_McF
Hi John,
for the first flights you really did a very good job, congrats! I hope that you don´t mind if I played a bit around with your video!
As you can see I did some color corrections. I only did increase a little bit the saturation, hopefully you like it :)
Moreover I reversed the shots at 0.44 0.52 and 1.08..Why? Well it makes the shot more interesting because it reveals more and more interesting details, as for example the amazing rock formations. If the shot goes forwards one can see everyting in the scene and there is nothing new to discover.
At 2.33 I made a slow zoom in, aswell at 2.49 The smooth movement gives a little bit more dynamic to the shot!
At 3.13 I did a slow zoom out. As Dumsagard said the final scene looks very good with the car driving off!
All in all your video is worth watching, the music fits well and all the shots are very well done!
cheers Paul
John - Nice changes. What editing software did you use? How do you change the zoom in/out....key frames?

That was a really good job. Very nice panorama and shots. My first question to get even better transitions. Are you using ND filters? You can try an ND 8 or 16. Depends how sunny. With the mini, there is not too many options to change a setting in the video.
But the ND filter will help a lot.

Reactions: Lauee and John_McF
Hi Guys

In early January 2020, my wife and I spent a few days visiting the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, California. Her plan was to shoot landscape images in this amazing location. My goal was to make my first flights with my newly purchased DJI Mavic Mini drone. I cautiously practiced basic flying skills, including flying close to the ground and eventually moved on to some more tricky techniques, including orbiting. I also experimented with the Mavic Mini's QuickShots and of these, I definitely prefer the Dronie.

It wasn't my intention to try to create a finished video when I shot the somewhat random the clips but having recently started to learn video editing with Filmora9, I though I would see what I could do. The video includes a variety of the clips, including flying close to the ground, several orbits of large rock formations and a Dronie with my wife as the subject near the end.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

John

Very nice! Held my attention and great ending.

Reactions: zeusfl
Very good first video. Good timing on the length of the shots. I think that the color is fine very natural with no execrations.

Try varying the framing of your shots more. Many are the same height with the same framing.

An endemic problem with drone movies generally is that they end up being just a collection of shots with no real structure. Ideally you want the structure to evolve to some visual climax or culmination.
That was a really good job. Very nice panorama and shots. My first question to get even better transitions. Are you using ND filters? You can try an ND 8 or 16. Depends how sunny. With the mini, there is not too many options to change a setting in the video.
But the ND filter will help a lot.
Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't have the ND filters at time the video was shot but I do have them now. I'm hoping to try them in the same location next month. Cheers.

Reactions: zeusfl
Hi John,
cheers Paul.................BTW if you want me to delete "my video" because of my avatar please tell me!
Hi Paul - Thanks for your suggestions and example edits to the video. I appreciate you going to the trouble to show me some alternatives. I hadn't thought about reversing some of the scenes - that definitely looked different and I'll try that next time. Thanks again.

Hi John:

This was a wonderful film and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You captured the essence of the area beautifully. I did a solo trip there October, 2017 but did not have a drone at that time. I mostly concentrated in on still images and timelapse. The Eastern Sierras is a wonderful place to fly and photograph and I highly recommend it. You can see my images on my website. www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com and got to BROWSE, and Eastern SierraNevadaMountains October,2017.
Hi Dale - Thanks for your comments. I took a look at the beautiful images on your website. I really liked your shots of the Alabama Hills, Mono Lake and the various lakes in the mountains. My wife and I are heading back up to Lone Pine and Bishop for a week next month. She wants to shoot the Fall colors and I'll be definitely be shooting more with the drone. Thanks again.

Reactions: Tommy85
Well if that was my first video I’d be beyond pleased. Really great video, very smooth flying and I wish I could edit that well. Thanks for sharing

Hi Guys

In early January 2020, ......... Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

John

John you have received accolades from some very knowledgeable flyers/photographers ....and then there is me...I recognize a not so hidden talent. Apply, learn and share.
Looking forward to what that trip produces.
Safe flying mate ....from Down Under

Hi Paul - Thanks for your suggestions and example edits to the video. I appreciate you going to the trouble to show me some alternatives. I hadn't thought about reversing some of the scenes - that definitely looked different and I'll try that next time. Thanks again.
Hi John,
you´r welcome :) Glad I could help you a little bit to enhance your video skillsThumbswayup
cheers Paul

You did very well on this attempt. Filmora9 is an excellent, easy to use beginner, basic video editor, I started with that one as well. There is also the FILMORA Premiere which has additional features over the 9. It permits Luts for additional color grading. I now tinker and try to learn DaVinci Resolve (free). The great thing is that it even has an interactive tutorial to help you learn. I think you have found a happy medium for the speed and duration of the various clips. Keep going!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji