DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loose height over sea

Chris_GREECE

Reactions
Dear friends,
Today i had a strange issue with my m3classic. I was in beach and started to hover with 16 satelites locked. Then i moved the drone above water 7.5 meters stable hover and taking some photos when i noticed that the drone height started to be unstable, 7.6m then 6.4 m then 7 m etc etc. Then i decided to go higher at 10 meters and then it was stable, no more heoght loosing. Why happened rhis??

Downward VPS getting confused by changing surface I would have thought at first glance, but XP (and @Meta4) reminds me that is an apparent myth. This is a very interesting video demonstrating the same sort of behaviour you describe and also that VPS isn't making any difference except to horizontal positioning...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why it's doing it is somewhat unclear... video guy thinks it's a 'rebounding prop-wash' thing.

Last edited:
This is for me strange as happened first time in my entire drone experience. Maybe because as soon as i took off from the ground, 2 or 3 meters i went at once over the sea?? Maybe next time i will first take off from ground im about 10 meters, then i will go over sea and i will go lower to 7 or 6 meters and check again.

Might be a myth but my original mini 1 sure liked to drop whenever 15' or less over water. My Air2 is more stable over water but I still stay above 15', now with a Rescue Jacket.. just in case a water landing is required.

Reactions: Chris_GREECE
Dear friends,
Today i had a strange issue with my m3classic. I was in beach and started to hover with 16 satelites locked. Then i moved the drone above water 7.5 meters stable hover and taking some photos when i noticed that the drone height started to be unstable, 7.6m then 6.4 m then 7 m etc etc. Then i decided to go higher at 10 meters and then it was stable, no more heoght loosing. Why happened rhis??
Possibly wave height, Under the craft.

Thank you all for your feedback. Tomorow i ll be in the same beach and i will check again by hovering above ground about 8 meters and then i will move it above sea with same heigbt....lets see.

I thought this video was interesting
His presentation was irritating and he perpetuates the common myth.
If he had investigated the recorded flight data from his incidents, they likely wouldn't support what he says about height errors over water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH