DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loose part rattling around inside controller

kinetix

Reactions
Not usually an early adopter but I jumped out and ordered the MP2 last week. It arrived yesterday and while going through the setup I noticed what sounds like a loose part rattling around inside the controller. I called the support line and they will only replace it after I send the defective one back. Not exactly what I was hoping for. So much for good customer service.

Reactions: SprayingMango
Not usually an early adopter but I jumped out and ordered the MP2 last week. It arrived yesterday and while going through the setup I noticed what sounds like a loose part rattling around inside the controller. I called the support line and they will only replace it after I send the defective one back. Not exactly what I was hoping for. So much for good customer service.

What were you hoping for? I'm sorry but their response was what I would have expected.

It may be the tube of glue for when the gimbal falls off.
its the glue kit that the installer lost on the guys mavic where the gimbal fell apart
but the koolaid tastes good.;)

Reactions: hherbson
I have had that happen on a PlayStation controller and I just ignored it but then again I didn't have to worry about the PlayStation falling out of the sky , lol

When my fan kicks on inside the controller it sounds really strange. Like radio interference or something. I will probably have to send it in someday

Well thats 2 reports of extra parts/screws rattling around in M2P hardware. I'd be worried about a conductive screw coming in contact with the circuit board. Could always got one from Amazon in a few days, and return it if your not completely satisfied ;-) Anyone know what the current turn around time from DJI is if you send stuff in for repair?

Reactions: Former Member
Can you buy a second controller for the mavic 2 yet? I'm headed out of town in a few weeks and dont want to send mine back to dji just yet in case they dont get it back to me. But yeah... the fan sounds unhealthy in there when it's running.

rattle in my remote as well. i can hear part go from left to right, right to left. i unscrewed plastic tab each side underneath controller. rattled from side to side there was a silver screw. got it out glad i didn’t have to take apart controller or send it in to DJI.

Wonder what the screw holds in there? Maybe the fan. That's probably why my fan sounds like it's gonna seize up. Great

Most electronic assembly items like that are done with a small electric screwdriver, which has auto torque for that particular assembly, determined by screw size and and base material. They load them up and zip them in. Usually the employee's are rated based on output, and although you would hope they would take the time to get the screw they just dropped out of the assembly, it seems often they just reload and move on to the next one. If I was assembling bits 6 days a week, I might not care that much either......

With the big push to get inventory for the Big Picture, QC may have only been able to do spot checks on batches. The scratches on the gimbal show they didn't even shake the packaged drone to simulate shipping, or even ship a few boxes back and forth. Everyone knows how the package handlers treat packages, so that oversight is troubling, since it seems so obvious.

I'm still planning on buying a M2P on Amazon, but won't be surprised if I send it back, and at this point almost expect I'll have to. Thank God for Amazon... I went through 3 MP's to get one that functioned perfectly in all aspects. Even though gyro and compass checks can appear OK, there seems to be a variation in consistency and repeat-ability. Such is life with mass production I guess.

If the extra screw has loctite on the threads, that may indicate it was meant to be mounted in a metal base or plate. I'd like to hear Thunderdrones input on this, since he has so much experience with DJI hardware. Definitely not trying to bring anyone down, and I was really looking forward to getting one. It was even my motivation to work extra overtime.

Regards,

Kevin

Can you buy a second controller for the mavic 2 yet? I'm headed out of town in a few weeks and dont want to send mine back to dji just yet in case they dont get it back to me. But yeah... the fan sounds unhealthy in there when it's running.

I can take a look inside yours to see what's loose. No need to buy a new one.

Most electronic assembly items like that are done with a small electric screwdriver, which has auto torque for that particular assembly, determined by screw size and and base material. They load them up and zip them in. Usually the employee's are rated based on output, and although you would hope they would take the time to get the screw they just dropped out of the assembly, it seems often they just reload and move on to the next one. If I was assembling bits 6 days a week, I might not care that much either......

With the big push to get inventory for the Big Picture, QC may have only been able to do spot checks on batches. The scratches on the gimbal show they didn't even shake the packaged drone to simulate shipping, or even ship a few boxes back and forth. Everyone knows how the package handlers treat packages, so that oversight is troubling, since it seems so obvious.

I'm still planning on buying a M2P on Amazon, but won't be surprised if I send it back, and at this point almost expect I'll have to. Thank God for Amazon... I went through 3 MP's to get one that functioned perfectly in all aspects. Even though gyro and compass checks can appear OK, there seems to be a variation in consistency and repeat-ability. Such is life with mass production I guess.

If the extra screw has loctite on the threads, that may indicate it was meant to be mounted in a metal base or plate. I'd like to hear Thunderdrones input on this, since he has so much experience with DJI hardware. Definitely not trying to bring anyone down, and I was really looking forward to getting one. It was even my motivation to work extra overtime.

Regards,

Kevin

There are 3 problems I have head about from 3 different members about the Mavic 2 series. The two you mentioned, plus someones gimbal falling off, but that might just have been clickbait.

I agree that one should not fly a drone that has anything loose rattling around inside of it. As you said, if it's conductive, it could lead to catastrophic failure if it shorts out an electronic component. A loose part in the controller could have the same effect.

I can take a look inside yours to see what's loose. No need to buy a new one.
I appreciate your offer, but I think I will hold tight until I get back from my little trip. It will give me a chance to really play around with it and see how often it does it. If it keeps behaving badly, then I will probably send it back in. Thanks again

I've had CPU fans do that in the past when they were worn out and the shaft to bearing clearance became too large. Perhaps the build tolerances aren't that consistent. I also had a new MP do that out of the box (the drone itself), and the next week it was enroute back to Amazon.

Short, crappy video of the noise

As bad as that noise might sound, if it stops making that noise, it's time to stop using the controller. That noise, as @hherbson mentioned, is probably a defective fan shaft bearing, not a loose part rattling around. As long as the fan is turning and blowing out hot air, you will be fine. If the noise stop stops, I wouldnt use the controller because it could overheat and malfunction.

In addition to the loos part, the charge cords didn't engage positively with the batteries causing it to easily become disconnected and the transformer on the charge cord got very hot during use. After wasting a week waiting for DJI to send a call tag (ground service) and being told the turnaround would be 6 days (not counting transit) I got fed up and just returned the whole thing along with the fly more kit for a refund. I will consider trying again after a bit of time, maybe they can work out what ever production issues they seem to be having by then. If/when I do buy another it will be from BH where they understand customer service. In the meantime I have two P4P to keep me busy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada