DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss of rc signal in Atti mode

I have care refresh , but having the insta 360 camera mounted on it caused the lack of gps , and DJI won't honour it
Wow. Did DJI express what rule/exception applied that supported their refusal to honor the Care Refresh replacement? Some droners put an Air Tag on their drone to help locating it if lost. Would this “exception” also nullify their drone replacement? One would think DJI should be happy the drone was more “findable” with a tag, so a replacement would not be necessary.

Wow. Did DJI express what rule/exception applied that supported their refusal to honor the Care Refresh replacement? Some droners put an Air Tag on their drone to help locating it if lost. Would this “exception” also nullify their drone replacement? One would think DJI should be happy the drone was more “findable” with a tag, so a replacement would not be necessary.
Im waiting for their reply but I'm sure they'll say the drone shouldn't have been flown with proper gps .

I'm sure they'll say the drone shouldn't have been flown with proper gps .
Without GPS is one thing, as it'll just revert to Atti mode in that case, which is controllable.

But loss of control signal while in Atti mode without GPS over water can lead to fatal results.

Ok , quick update . I can confirm that an air 2 flying in atti mode that loses RC connection will hover in place until low battery landing . The Air 2S will not , and will land after about 15 secs . I made a claim on my care refresh and DJI are sending my replacement . Although I got some great footage using the insta sphere I would urge anyone thinking of buying one not to , unless you are comfortable flying in Atti mode . Every time I used it on my Air/Air2S , I sat drone on ground , waited for home point set , attached the sphere and lost gps reception immediately. It seems

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57
Ok , quick update . I can confirm that an air 2s flying in atti mode that loses RC connection will hover in place until low battery landing . The Air 2S will not , and will land after about 15 secs .
Perhaps you can correct that .... they can't both be true.

Ok , quick update . I can confirm that an air 2 flying in atti mode that loses RC connection will hover in place until low battery landing . The Air 2S will not , and will land after about 15 secs.
Interesting.

Can you give more details on how you tested that and under which conditions?

DJI's aircraft are all different. My old Phantom 3 Pro can be manually switched to Atti mode, which is great as it allows me to practise flying in that mode. It's useful sometimes for smooth video, as the Phantom just drifts along in Atti mode rather than braking to an abrupt stop as it does when the control sticks are released in GPS mode. But when Atti mode is selected like this, as long as the GPS antenna is still receiving signal from enough satellites, RTH still functions normally in the same way.

On my Mavic Mini however I cannot just select Atti mode whenever I want. It will only automatically go into Atti upon loss of both GPS reception and VPS. So I'd need to cover the GPS antenna and block the VPS sensors, or fly in my basement in the dark, or something like that. And then turn off the controller to trigger a loss-of-signal response.

I'm not familiar with the Air2 or Air2S. Your Insta360 Sphere camera is blocking the GPS receiver antenna, but did you somehow disable the VPS sensors too? I'm just curious how you tested yours.

Landing after 15secs came from the DJI tech who reviewed my case and flight log . For the Air 2 , I covered the front of the drone with tinfoil and put it up 30m and turn off the RC. It just hovered there , drifting in the wind .
The thing that still gets me is , as far as I'm aware from watching tear down videos , the GPS attennae on the Air 2 / 2S is forward of the battery compartment ,almost above the gimbal , on the top of the drone . The 360 sphere does not cover this in any way , as it mounts over and around the battery , with holes in its strap to facilitate the bottom sensors , so why does it have such a detrimental effect on the GPS reception . I've mounted my insta 360 X2 on top and below my drone and never had an issue.

Last edited:
Am I correct, the 360 mount is metal, not plastic. I think I saw that in a 360 review video. Metal may do strange things, obviously as a work-around was to start the Air 2s before adding the 360.

why does it have such a detrimental effect on the GPS reception?
Interference is the other possibility.
In the early days of Phantoms, GPS reception was very poor until they started using better shielding between the mainboard and the GPS antenna above it.
Metal may do strange things, obviously as a work-around was to start the Air 2s before adding the 360.
The only effect metal has, is to block signal, if it's over the antenna.

[...] obviously [?] as a work-around was to start the Air 2s before adding the 360.
What does that accomplish?

If you wait until the Air 2S achieves sufficient GPS signal to establish its Home Position, and subsequently mount the Insta360 blocking the GPS antenna, the drone still won't be able to navigate its way Home.

Reactions: Meta4
Landing after 15secs came from the DJI tech who reviewed my case and flight log.
Ah, I see. I was just wondering how one could verify that with one's own experiment.

It's all too common to get different answers from different techs depending on which DJI model we're actually talking about, as they all seem to behave differently.

For the Air 2 , I covered the front of the drone with tinfoil and put it up 30m and turn off the RC. It just hovered there , drifting in the wind.
Okay. Block the GPS antenna with tinfoil, and fly high enough so the VPS sensors are out of range of the ground. That should trigger Atti mode.

The problem is, if you want to see what happens when you then turn the transmitter off to force a loss-of-control-signal, in the mean time any wind will be carrying the drone away.

If the response is to auto-land after 15 seconds, you'll need a field big enough (or wind slow enough) that the drone doesn't get carried too far away while you're waiting.

But, if the default response is to continue hovering until a low battery eventually forces an auto-landing, the drone can be carried a very looooong way before that happens.

Am I correct, the 360 mount is metal, not plastic. I think I saw that in a 360 review video. Metal may do strange things, obviously as a work-around was to start the Air 2s before adding the 360.
I always started the drone and allowed homepoint to be established before mounting

Despite my better judgement , I'm going to buy another sphere . When it arrives I will make a video outlining what mounting it on the Air 2/ 2s does to the GPS signal using screen capture.
I will then definitively answer what happens when RC signal is lost in atti mode on both these drones by deliberately turning off the controller whilst it is in the air . I'll do this over a nice grassy field and video record the results. Lead time is a few weeks so be patient.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada