DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Air 2 in Badlands, SD - selling all remaining parts (Fly More Combo)

Reactions
Hi all - just wanted to share my experience and say that if you ever lose a drone on a cliff/rock - DON'T try to fetch it yourself!

Was flying my brand new Mavic Air 2 in Badlands National Park when it hit a rock (was performing a Circle flight WITH obstacles avoidance ON!). I saw where it landed and tried to climb up the cliff to fetch it but the formation of those rocks turned out to be softer than I thought, and so i fell half way and got dragged along the cliff for 15 feet or so.. needless to say, i scratched myself pretty badly but thankfully didn't break anything and, most importantly, stayed alive.. I also lost the keys from my rental car on the way which took me another 6 hours to wait for a towing truck not to mention the fees but that's another story :)

Funnily enough, I did have a DJI Care insurance but they told me on the phone that I need to HAVE the drone for them to be able to replace it.. are they wrong or it really works that way?

Anyways - I got myself another Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo (they didn't have the basic version) the next day and am now selling the remote control, 2 batteries (in original packaging), set of filters (also never used), a charger, charging hub, an original shoulder bag and those little parts (gimbal protector, extra propellers, all cables, extra control sticks etc) - ALL BRAND NEW in an original box - except for a RC which I used for 3 days.

So in case you found a drone and CAN'T locate an owner (but tried cause you're a nice person) OR for some reason want to go and grab mine (which I strongly discourage you from doing since the ranger said I was lucky to be alive), I'm selling ALL this remaining stuff:
1) in bundle for $479 ($700 value if bought separately on amazon/from dji) and you will to have yourself a little brand new Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo for less than 50% of the retail value
2) or separately if you only need a few parts.

If you buy the whole lot though, I'll also send you a bottle of wine for supporting me in my grief :)

P.S. Approximate location of the drone is here
Thanks - and stay safe people!
Katia

Attachments

• IMG_6890.JPG
    IMG_6890.JPG
    854.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 20.06.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 20.06.34.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Reactions: Rattydude77
First off welcome to the forum Katia. And like most of us here hopefully you learned from your mistakes I know I have in the past with my drone turning off the sensors.

it was my first national park on the way and i didn't know it back then since the app was showing as if the area was clear. i found out from the ranger though

Your first sentence said it all, you are Not Allowed to fly in a NP
Sorry for your expereience. But please also learn that flying in National Parks is not allowed.

Welcome to the forum you are one lucky lady that could have ended badly God bless please stay safe that drone isn't worth your life. Greatings from Ormond beach Florida

Reactions: Rchawks
Of the stuff you list for sale, being blunt I would suggest keeping most of those spares for yourself, certainly the batteries, props and sticks.
I personally would keep the charger too, the hub most likely charges one battery at a time so a second charger means you can charge two batteries at once. Most people would, I think, welcome that.
The gimbal protector is a likely thing to loose, as are cables, I tether my cable to the controller, so.......
I also bought a spare controller for mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
charging hub is for 3 batteries to charge at the same time, so that's probably excessive + an extra remote controller is too much - but I guess you're right on the rest!

Of the stuff you list for sale, being blunt I would suggest keeping most of those spares for yourself, certainly the batteries, props and sticks.
I personally would keep the charger too, the hub most likely charges one battery at a time so a second charger means you can charge two batteries at once. Most people would, I think, welcome that.
The gimbal protector is a likely thing to loose, as are cables, I tether my cable to the controller, so.......
I also bought a spare controller for mini.

If you have the DJI hub I believe you can charge 3 batteries in one session but, and you might want to check this, they are charged sequentially, in the order least discharged to most discharged, and not simultaneously. The idea being to get you back into the air as quickly as possible
Irresepective of whether the hub charges the batteries simultaneously or sequentially, two identical chargers will charge two batteries in less time than one charger will charge two batteries.`

We feel sorry about your lost but Welcome to Mavic Pilots !!

Sorry for your loss.

Why did you rush to buy a Flymore combo when you could have got the drone only at a discounted price ?

Hi all - just wanted to share my experience and say that if you ever lose a drone on a cliff/rock - DON'T try to fetch it yourself!

Was flying my brand new Mavic Air 2 in Badlands National Park when it hit a rock (was performing a Circle flight WITH obstacles avoidance ON!). I saw where it landed and tried to climb up the cliff to fetch it but the formation of those rocks turned out to be softer than I thought, and so i fell half way and got dragged along the cliff for 15 feet or so.. needless to say, i scratched myself pretty badly but thankfully didn't break anything and, most importantly, stayed alive.. I also lost the keys from my rental car on the way which took me another 6 hours to wait for a towing truck not to mention the fees but that's another story :)

Funnily enough, I did have a DJI Care insurance but they told me on the phone that I need to HAVE the drone for them to be able to replace it.. are they wrong or it really works that way?

Anyways - I got myself another Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo (they didn't have the basic version) the next day and am now selling the remote control, 2 batteries (in original packaging), set of filters (also never used), a charger, charging hub, an original shoulder bag and those little parts (gimbal protector, extra propellers, all cables, extra control sticks etc) - ALL BRAND NEW in an original box - except for a RC which I used for 3 days.

So in case you found a drone and CAN'T locate an owner (but tried cause you're a nice person) OR for some reason want to go and grab mine (which I strongly discourage you from doing since the ranger said I was lucky to be alive), I'm selling ALL this remaining stuff:
1) in bundle for $479 ($700 value if bought separately on amazon/from dji) and you will to have yourself a little brand new Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo for less than 50% of the retail value
2) or separately if you only need a few parts.

If you buy the whole lot though, I'll also send you a bottle of wine for supporting me in my grief :)

P.S. Approximate location of the drone is here
Thanks - and stay safe people!
Katia

If it was me, I'd put a fishing line with a small hook on the new drone and go fetch the old one. It will carry its own weight. Just do the lift and get it out and down right away. And keep it low to the ground just in case it falls.

Reactions: xunhui
I was on a 3.5-week roadtrip across the US and this happened on the third day of my travels. didn't want to miss out on so many beautiful places and fly more combo was the only thing they had in Rapid City.

Sorry for your loss.

Why did you rush to buy a Flymore combo when you could have got the drone only at a discounted price ?

Reactions: razoraerial

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky