DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Bel Air, MD. US

Lil' DronePilot

Reactions
yesterday I flew a simple waypoint mission using LITCHI, which I have flown on my Mavic before. It was around my neighborhood and again, very simple route. Waypoint route was 5 minutes long from take off to landing and I ran it in 9 MPH hardly noticeable winds and clear skies. Somewhere around the half way point of this 5 minute mission, the drone stated bearing off course. Soon there after, I got an APP ERROR both on the controller and on my IPhone screen of my Litchi. I wasn't able to switch to sport mode before the connection between the RC and the Mavic were lost. I lost all video feed as well. Now, it is advertised that the Mavic will continue it's mission even if it looses connection with the RC. I had programmed the mission to return to home once mission was completed. Let me remind you that the drone was flying off from it's intended waypoint mission. I restarted the app with no luck as there was no connection to the drone, and the 5 minute mission had extended to 10 minutes at which time it became a search and rescue mission. I had lost total contact with the Mavic and IT NEVER RETURNED HOME!!!! Being that I was using IPhone, LITCHI does not offer the find my drone feature as it does on Android. So not only did the APP didn't do as it was advertised that my drone would fly it's mission even if it lost contact with RC, but it totally lost my DRONE altogether. (No Healthydrone account either) The search and rescue never produced my drone. Using DJI GO find my drone is useless as it did not record a log because I was using Litchi, a third party APP Urgggh!!!! Very expensive mistake to trust any other app other than the manufacturer. I'll get another Mavic soon enough but will probably refrain from Litchi use. Anyone in Bel Air, Maryland near Conowingo RD and Rt1 finds drone, pop Battery out for my Phone #. Will pay Reward ($) for its return. Sum ***** done flew the coop! :}

You can still upload the TXT file that Litchi recorded, I think. If you upload it, I can take a look.

Reactions: YngveN
That sucks. Actually Lichi should create a lof of the flight in CSV format, you should be able to upload this to Airdata or Mavichelp

Lichi
Can I upload CSV files myself, instead of using the auto-upload?
Yes, you can use the regular upload page to upload the Litchi V2 CSV files.
Flight logs are stored in the phone's internal storage in the "LitchiApp/flightlogs" folder.

Ohh man you're scaring the crap out of me I just purchased the litchi app. I went out for a flight yesterday in the Arizona mountains I flew out about 3 miles and then brought it back .I did VR FPV and had a partner with me to spot me luckily I had no issues... I did lose HD feed one time but it came right back up again..... after knowing this I don't know whether to trust it. I really hope somebody finds and returns your drone best wishes brotha!

yesterday I flew a simple waypoint mission using LITCHI, which I have flown on my Mavic before. It was around my neighborhood and again, very simple route. Waypoint route was 5 minutes long from take off to landing and I ran it in 9 MPH hardly noticeable winds and clear skies. Somewhere around the half way point of this 5 minute mission, the drone stated bearing off course. Soon there after, I got an APP ERROR both on the controller and on my IPhone screen of my Litchi. I wasn't able to switch to sport mode before the connection between the RC and the Mavic were lost. I lost all video feed as well. Now, it is advertised that the Mavic will continue it's mission even if it looses connection with the RC. I had programmed the mission to return to home once mission was completed. Let me remind you that the drone was flying off from it's intended waypoint mission. I restarted the app with no luck as there was no connection to the drone, and the 5 minute mission had extended to 10 minutes at which time it became a search and rescue mission. I had lost total contact with the Mavic and IT NEVER RETURNED HOME!!!! Being that I was using IPhone, LITCHI does not offer the find my drone feature as it does on Android. So not only did the APP didn't do as it was advertised that my drone would fly it's mission even if it lost contact with RC, but it totally lost my DRONE altogether. (No Healthydrone account either) The search and rescue never produced my drone. Using DJI GO find my drone is useless as it did not record a log because I was using Litchi, a third party APP Urgggh!!!! Very expensive mistake to trust any other app other than the manufacturer. I'll get another Mavic soon enough but will probably refrain from Litchi use. Anyone in Bel Air, Maryland near Conowingo RD and Rt1 finds drone, pop Battery out for my Phone #. Will pay Reward ($) for its return. Sum ***** done flew the coop! :}
Sorry to hear about your drone. That is a hard pill swallow. Have you flown over Rocky Gap or downtown Cumberland? Downtown would make for some nice winter shots after a snow fall.

Hey man, I'm up near you. I live in Street. Exactly where were you flying? Maybe I can help. I work crazy hours and don't have much experience (only 5 flights) but I'm willing to do what I can to help. No need for a reward if I find it either. It's a bad night tonight though (serious rain) so I hope you find it soon and get it in a bag of rice to try to dry it out.......

Really sorry to hear.
Rob

Sorry to hear about your drone. That is a hard pill swallow. Have you flown over Rocky Gap or downtown Cumberland? Downtown would make for some nice winter shots after a snow fall.
I thought you were from western Maryland outside of Cumberland. Still sorry about your Mavic

Again, if you extract the Litchi flight, I can possibly extrapolate a location for it, and maybe give a few searching spots.

Also see, if you can also provide your flight plan as well.

Reactions: Marine0302G2/8
You guys are really good at reading those files, thanks in advance sure there will be a day.

You guys are really good at reading those files, thanks in advance sure there will be a day.
We may be experienced, but predicting the flight path of the drone given a plethora of variables is tricky, and has only led to a 50% chance of the search and rescue being successful. Better than nothing I suppose.

This is the area the OP described:
1493696163208.png

It's a mix of commercial, residential, a couple large youth sports areas, and some seriously heavily wooded areas. The roads in this area are heavily traveled as well. Basically a needle in a haystack. I know I've seen some serious magic on this site though by the Drone Gods. OP, get the files to these guys as quickly as possible......

You can still upload the TXT file that Litchi recorded, I think. If you upload it, I can take a look.

Man now you're talking Martian to me lol. I know enough to fly the drone without crashing, setting up my flight missions with proper height, speed, ect and was getting pretty good with my photography and videography aspect of it. Downloading my vids. Now uploading TXT files and where to retrieve that data I'll have to research this forum to get that info. But I appreciate the assist. All of you. I've been sriv My around both in the morning s and at night to see if I can find it visually with no luck.

This is the area the OP described:
View attachment 12003

It's a mix of commercial, residential, a couple large youth sports areas, and some seriously heavily wooded areas. The roads in this area are heavily traveled as well. Basically a needle in a haystack. I know I've seen some serious magic on this site though by the Drone Gods. OP, get the files to these guys as quickly as possible......

Yeah Rob you hit it on the dot, google map and all. I've driven all the commercial areas, and the sports areas. My luck, it's. The heavily wooded area that is hard to access. I'll see about how to get my files and upload. Don't want to give up hope but I'm coming to the conclusion that my Mavic has flown the coop for good.

Man now you're talking Martian to me lol. I know enough to fly the drone without crashing, setting up my flight missions with proper height, speed, ect and was getting pretty good with my photography and videography aspect of it. Downloading my vids. Now uploading TXT files and where to retrieve that data I'll have to research this forum to get that info. But I appreciate the assist. All of you. I've been sriv My around both in the morning s and at night to see if I can find it visually with no luck.

I flown a couple of missions and have had no issues. I even purposely flew a mission with a battery below 50% once and when battery reached low level, it interrupted the flight plan and returned home. So dealing with technology, I guess we can expect bugs and all but ****, for the bird to fly the coop and not return for dinner, NOT cool. So I can't give you advise on whether to continue to use Litchi or not. If I found my bird or bought another one, I'd be really afraid of attempting other Litchi flights. Just my opinion.

We may be experienced, but predicting the flight path of the drone given a plethora of variables is tricky, and has only led to a 50% chance of the search and rescue being successful. Better than nothing I suppose.

I was able to email the flight plan from litchi but can't open the file. I can email it to see if you have better luck. Have to figure out txt

Yeah Rob you hit it on the dot, google map and all. I've driven all the commercial areas, and the sports areas. My luck, it's. The heavily wooded area that is hard to access. I'll see about how to get my files and upload. Don't want to give up hope but I'm coming to the conclusion that my Mavic has flown the coop for good.

Well, I know for the most part, people up near us are really down to earth country folk and generally very friendly and considerate. If someone found it and can figure out that the battery comes out I am sure you will get it back. Especially if it fell in someone's yard or on a car or house...............

Just out of curiosity, have you called the local sheriff? I know that sounds crazy but as long as you were flying within the limits of the law, ie, not over people, residences, or traffic, and YOU TELL THEM THAT, they might not be so judgemental and return it if they have it. Could be someone found it and just gave to one of the local cops. There are a lot of older people like me up there that just like to do nice things for people.

There are just so many places in that area it could be. Without some sort of direction or path or even an educated guess where it is, I think you are screwed. I mean, it could literally be hung up in a tree at 70' above the ground, or it could have fell through the tree canopy and is literally under water in a area that floods (there are a lot of those up there).

If it fell into that area where they are now doing construction at the corner of Water Tower Rd, and Rte 23, with all the heavy equipment, that thing is certainly toast.

Things like this really made me want to get a tracking device at first. Sure, there is the "find my drone" feature but that isn't helping you. And if all power is depleted and the signal failed to transmit most of the mission and there isn't a log of any path, a tracking device would be crucial.

On the other hand, for the next one, just give my State Farm insurance agent a call (Melanie Cook - State Farm Insurance Agent in Baltimore, MD) and tell them you want the drone insurance. Or any State Farm office near us. It costs 60 bucks a year for total coverage regardless of how or what happens and they just cut you a check. That is cheaper than DJI refresh or some tracking device yearly fees.

Good luck!
Rob

I have looked at the Litchi flight log, and have a possible story put together, and a possible location, but I need to see the Litchi flight plan to confirm it.

Reactions: RobP62
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake