DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Pro - Long Island NY

JMar1017

Reactions
Hello All -

I've been teaching my brother the basics of flying with my Mavic Pro and after about a dozen sessions I felt more comfortable with him going out on his own so I gave him access to my Mavic Pro whenever he wanted so long as he gave me a heads up prior.

Ultimately my plan was to just give it to him as I now have quite the collection going - Mini, Air 2, Pro 2 -

Well he took it out and I got a call a few hours later that he hooked it on a cell tower near Robert Moses by the coast guard base. First thing I did was contact the coast guard base to tell them what happened as to not raise any sort of concern - I gave them all my contact info, DL number and my drone's registration number. They were super cool about - claimed it happened often but nobody really ever contacts them so they appreciated the information and courtesy.

I'd like to note this this area isn't considered any sort of NFZ according to flight maps and DJI - He was flying at around 200' up trying to circle a lookout point.

It's a shot in the dark but does anyone have any idea how to retrieve this?

To be 1000000% clear I don't want anyone risking their safety for a drone.

I'm not sure if there are any sort of maintenance ladders or anything along those lines - obviously nothing open to the public.

Thanks - Take care and be safe everyone

Hello All -

I've been teaching my brother the basics of flying with my Mavic Pro and after about a dozen sessions I felt more comfortable with him going out on his own so I gave him access to my Mavic Pro whenever he wanted so long as he gave me a heads up prior.

Ultimately my plan was to just give it to him as I now have quite the collection going - Mini, Air 2, Pro 2 -

Well he took it out and I got a call a few hours later that he hooked it on a cell tower near Robert Moses by the coast guard base. First thing I did was contact the coast guard base to tell them what happened as to not raise any sort of concern - I gave them all my contact info, DL number and my drone's registration number. They were super cool about - claimed it happened often but nobody really ever contacts them so they appreciated the information and courtesy.

I'd like to note this this area isn't considered any sort of NFZ according to flight maps and DJI - He was flying at around 200' up trying to circle a lookout point.

I'm not sure if there are any sort of maintenance ladders or anything along those lines - obviously nothing open to the public.

Maybe contact ATT or the like and ask them.. they would ahve to do maintenance on the tower

Maybe contact ATT or the like and ask them.. they would ahve to do maintenance on the tower

I went that route and they weren't happy at all - very rude on the phone - they basically went down the route that I was irresponsible and that my negligence isn't their priority

• Sad
Reactions: RayKelly
Fly one of your other drones with a hook and bring it down, it will probably need to be the pro 2 as it's the most powerful

The thought has crossed my mind quite a few times - the only thing stopping me is the fact that my brother claims there was magnetic interference which is why he lost control

I don't want to lose another one if that is the case

i’ve flown there many times, no magnetic interference that I encountered. It is however part of either the Robert Moses State Park or the USCG station——-both no fly zones. Be cautious as the NY State troopers patrol there and they definitely “cite you, write you, and take away your drone.” Suffolk County cops, mostly from the Marine Bureau, have better things to do.

Reactions: Oconnb910
i’ve flown there many times, no magnetic interference that I encountered. It is however part of either the Robert Moses State Park or the USCG station——-both no fly zones. Be cautious as the NY State troopers patrol there and they definitely “cite you, write you, and take away your drone.” Suffolk County cops, mostly from the Marine Bureau, have better things to do.
Truthfully I figured the magnetic interference wasn't accurate but I know he feels terrible about it so I wasn't going to press him on it.

He'll be reminded of the flight each time he goes to that area and what mistakes he made

As for flying in that area - I too have flown quite a few times with my mavic 2 pro ( I'd like to take the mini - but I can't seem to get a handle on getting the most out of it when it comes to range- 400 to 500ft distance and I lose connection every single time) and I haven't encountered any issues with any troopers.

I've gone to the office over there twice and asked what the rules were for that state park and they said it's fine so long as I'm not being unsafe with it. I asked if they could put that in writing - nothing formal just something I could show someone if they ask - and they said that they'd have to check if they have the authority to write up something like that and to call in a day or two - never could get a straight answer.

I'm in the process of getting the cached footage to see what took place - I'll share it once I get it

Well, all I can say is drones are banned in all New York state parks. Google New York State Park regulations in you’ll see. You can apply to get permission to fly there but you have to post a bond, plus jump through a million hoops. Not worth it. Heckscher State Park used to be a great place to fly, but now there are no drones allowed signs all over the place.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Well, all I can say is drones are banned in all New York state parks. Google New York State Park regulations in you’ll see. You can apply to get permission to fly there but you have to post a bond, plus jump through a million hoops. Not worth it. Heckscher State Park used to be a great place to fly, but now there are no drones allowed signs all over the place.

Heckscher is a nice place to fly - I was just there this weekend. Went through 3 mini batteries and 3 mavic 2 pro batteries in flights.

I must be blind( I should stop flying if that's the case lol) because I didn't see a single sign. Where are they located ?

The park staff were pretty cool about it too - a few of them came by at different times to check out what I was doing - asking a bunch of questions on what it's like to own one. One guy asked if he could take a picture of my screen to show people the cool stuff you can see from way up high.

I ended up landing and giving them a basic run through on safety procedures, prices, how it's important to register, etc. Not a single one said I couldn't fly - when I asked if it was okay - the one guy who wanted to take a picture of my phone said as long as nobody is in danger of getting hurt and your aren't invading people's privacy you're fine.

It's as if the staff either don't care or aren't educated on the regulations of the parks they work in.

I did the same thing up in Sunken Meadow Park a week prior - again staff and patrons were intrigued and friendly about it. I keep my distance from everyone, NEVER fly over any crowds - I guess I've been lucky with state parks - I always ask first even if I've been given permission prior times - I always ask before I even set up.

Maybe I shouldn't fly in state parks anymore - don't want to give the hobby a bad reputation.

NY State Law
The launch, landing, and operation of UAS is allowed in state parks and historic sites only with prior written approval by the agency through a permit authorizing the specific time, location and type of use. OPRHP retains sole discretion to determine whether to approve or deny requests to launch an Unmanned Aircraft System. The detailed criteria OPRHP will use in determining whether to issue a permit are provided below, and conditions are provided in the attached sample permit. Any launch or operation of a UAS that has not received prior approval from OPRHP through issuance of a written permit is prohibited. OPRHP will actively enforce this procedure and other relevant agency statutes, regulations, and guidelines.

The last time I was at Heckscher, there was a No Drone Zone sign where the toll booths used to be. There were also signs where the model club used to be located. I’m not far from Heckscher when I’m in New York, so next time I will check it out again. It’s been at least a year since I was last there.

NY State Law
The launch, landing, and operation of UAS is allowed in state parks and historic sites only with prior written approval by the agency through a permit authorizing the specific time, location and type of use. OPRHP retains sole discretion to determine whether to approve or deny requests to launch an Unmanned Aircraft System. The detailed criteria OPRHP will use in determining whether to issue a permit are provided below, and conditions are provided in the attached sample permit. Any launch or operation of a UAS that has not received prior approval from OPRHP through issuance of a written permit is prohibited. OPRHP will actively enforce this procedure and other relevant agency statutes, regulations, and guidelines.

The last time I was at Heckscher, there was a No Drone Zone sign where the toll booths used to be. There were also signs where the model club used to be located. I’m not far from Heckscher when I’m in New York, so next time I will check it out again. It’s been at least a year since I was last there.
Yeah - I looked it up as you suggested. Saw that same information that you copied and pasted in.

As you implied It's unfortunate that parks such as Heckscher no longer allow the recreational flying of drones without prior written consent - i for one don't plan my flights and flight times 10 days in advance - ESPECIALLY since there was once a field dedicated to flying RC planes.

All my flights are weather and time dependant - I have a very demanding occupation so I dont know my schedule more than a few days out therefore I pick up the controls when the weather is good and I have 30 minutes or so to dedicate to a flight - the hobby is cathartic for me - not rigid and planned out as if I'm flying a passenger aircraft from one coast to another.

I just don't understand why the staff were so cool about it if the hobby is prohibited without written consent from the park

I just don't understand why the staff were so cool about it if the hobby is prohibited without written consent from the park
Good question. I know the NYS Park police don’t much care, nor do the Suffolk cops. It’s the NYS Troopers that do. BTW, trooper uniforms and park police look identical except for the shoulder patch (and tie——troopers’ ties are purple.). They both wear Big Hats.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Good question. I know the NYS Park police don’t much care, nor do the Suffolk cops. It’s the NYS Troopers that do. BTW, trooper uniforms and park police look identical except for the shoulder patch (and tie——troopers’ ties are purple.). They both wear Big Hats.
Thanks for the info

Reactions: JAW
Hello All -

I just found a Mavic pro at overlook Beach not far from Robert Moses it must be yours contact me

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121