DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Pro

LUCAPOWER

Reactions
Hello, I would like to have your opinion about a situation that happened with my Mavic Pro, in a perfectly normal flight with still about 40% of battery I totally lost communication with the device, the image "froze" and the information back to base appeared, except that in practical terms none of this happened, instead of returning to the base at an altitude of 30 meters as it was programmed, went up uncontrolled to about 120 meters and flew erratically back and forth until running out of battery and entering in automatic landing mode and land in a river and no longer be recovered. I contacted dji and waited for answers on what happened, but I am worried if another Mavic in future situations I am subject to this type of anomaly ?Is it a defect that will have to be assumed by dji? Thanks for your help ...and sorry for the english..

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-11-19_[15-17-09].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Hello, I would like to have your opinion about a situation that happened with my Mavic Pro, in a perfectly normal flight with still about 40% of battery I totally lost communication with the device, the image "froze" and the information back to base appeared, except that in practical terms none of this happened, instead of returning to the base at an altitude of 30 meters as it was programmed, went up uncontrolled to about 120 meters and flew erratically back and forth until running out of battery and entering in automatic landing mode and land in a river and no longer be recovered. I contacted dji and waited for answers on what happened, but I am worried if another Mavic in future situations I am subject to this type of anomaly ?Is it a defect that will have to be assumed by dji? Thanks for your help ...and sorry for the english..

What is see in your log is that he is facing an "object", so want to go backwords (setting in your menu).
For sure there is no object high in the sky. But was the Mavic facing the sun that moment?
I had the same in Austria once. Got compete crazy when my bird was out of range and start climbing to 120m (my set RTH flight level).
Then he came back home but stopped mid air.
After 10 seconds of panic i rememberd someting from the web. The sensors in the front dont like facing the sun...
So i switched them of and my bird was happy flying again and came back home.

Sounds bit the same to you?

Nb **** that you lost the bird. Sorry about that.

Peter

instead of returning to the base at an altitude of 30 meters as it was programmed, went up uncontrolled to about 120 meters and flew erratically back and forth until running out of battery and entering in automatic landing mode and land in a river
Your Mavic was not able to fly back to the home point because it detected an object ahead of it (most likely the sun). So, it tried to back up and ascend to climb over the obstacle. It then landed at its current location since the battery reached the critically low level before the Mavic was able to overcome the obstacle.

This stepped flight pattern shows your Mavic attempting to overcome an obstacle:

Location.jpg

I totally lost communication with the device
You did not totally lose communication with the Mavic until it was about 115 feet above the water as it was auto landing. Your remote controller was still connected up until that point. The remote controller signal was blocked by the buildings that were between you and your Mavic (see the image below). You could have cancelled RTH and manually flown the Mavic back to the home point.

Location2.jpg

This is why countries have laws that require people to keep their drones within visual sight of the pilot. When you can see the drone with your eyes, it's easier to control it and/or figure out its orientation/location.

Is it a defect that will have to be assumed by dji?
It's not an ideal design, but it's working as designed.

What is see in your log is that he is facing an "object", so want to go backwords (setting in your menu).
For sure there is no object high in the sky. But was the Mavic facing the sun that moment?
I had the same in Austria once. Got compete crazy when my bird was out of range and start climbing to 120m (my set RTH flight level).
After 10 seconds of panic i rememberd someting from the web. The sensors in the front dont like facing the sun...

Peter
It really may have been the sun to cause this incident is a probability. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: struijs

Peter
Your Mavic was not able to fly back to the home point because it detected an object ahead of it (most likely the sun). So, it tried to back up and ascend to climb over the obstacle. It then landed at its current location since the battery reached the critically low level before the Mavic was able to overcome the obstacle.

This stepped flight pattern shows your Mavic attempting to overcome an obstacle:

View attachment 25552

You did not totally lose communication with the Mavic until it was about 115 feet above the water as it was auto landing. Your remote controller was still connected up until that point. The remote controller signal was blocked by the buildings that were between you and your Mavic (see the image below). You could have cancelled RTH and manually flown the Mavic back to the home point.

View attachment 25553

This is why countries have laws that require people to keep their drones within visual sight of the pilot. When you can see the drone with your eyes, it's easier to control it and/or figure out its orientation/location.

It's not an ideal design, but it's working as designed.

Everything you say may actually make sense, the sun may have influenced the behavior of the drone, but it was 3.20 pm and the sun was not too low and it had flown in several directions without any incidences. Anyway, I appreciate your detailed and brilliant explanation of what may have happened. Thank you once again for your help and explanation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661