DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low Altitude Flying Over Lake

NTCooper

Reactions
I’m planning for a future shot with my M2P. Standing nearby, I’d like to get footage of the drone hugging the concrete of an 80’ descending boat ramp followed by the drone transitioning at lowest possible altitude over quiet river water. I’d do this at about 10 mph. For best effect, I’d like to keep the drone not more than 12”or so above water.

The M2P almost refuses to fly lower than 3’ over hard surfaces in P mode and I don’t want to risk even slightest stick error in S mode. Any suggestions? What about low evening light using bottom lights to assist bottom sensor function? Finally, is what I want to do even possible but foolishly risky.

I’m planning for a future shot with my M2P. Standing nearby, I’d like to get footage of the drone hugging the concrete of an 80’ descending boat ramp followed by the drone transitioning at lowest possible altitude over quiet river water. I’d do this at about 10 mph. For best effect, I’d like to keep the drone not more than 12”or so above water.

The M2P almost refuses to fly lower than 3’ over hard surfaces in P mode and I don’t want to risk even slightest stick error in S mode. Any suggestions? What about low evening light using bottom lights to assist bottom sensor function? Finally, is what I want to do even possible but foolishly risky.

Somewhere in the manual it warns about flying low over water.

I had a bad experience flying low over water. Was checking out an old wooden wreck on the river. I got down really close, less than 20'. The drone started to act weird and started losing elevation quickly. I had to hit the stick up fast to get out of there. Ever since then I won't go below 25' over water. I think the moving water screws with the OA.

Quick way to lose a drone flying over water too low jacks with the sensors. Snow will do the same thing.

Reactions: jagraphics

If possible, you would be taking a huge risk with your drone. At 12” there is essentially no margin for error. Recommend staying 3-4’ above the surface.

You could try flying it much slower then speed it up in post. You will probably need to disable all the sensors. Still, kind of risky.

Reactions: Capt KO
Fly 4 feet or higher, film in 4k and zoom in on your editing software.

Water and snow are reflectors. Water is, even in most still water, moving and therefore the distance to the surface and the reflected light will be constantly changing. It will confuse the sensors so be prepared to loose the drone.

Thinking about it they made a lot of films about this sort of low flying over water problem (you know what is coming :) )

• Wow
Reactions: Radpuppy
Yup. one foot is certainly not going to give you any room for recovery if have any glitches. Turn off sensors and landing protection.

This is the correct advice to enable that flight, and also an appropriate warning that any slight flight control issue or mistimed stick input may put it in the drink before you can react.

You'll need to turn-off all downward and landing sensors and watch it like a hawk! I know my MPP seems to have a magnetic attraction to the water, and I always need to adjust upward!
Take it slow, with your filming done at a high frame rate, then speed up the video in post-flight production. Watch the drone and not your Go4 screen!

I think even the side sensors are going to sense glare also from water.

the water does play havoc with your sensors plus your collision avoidance sensors, have a look at my video ive put the link on here, it basically thought there was an object in front of the drone when all it was, was ripples on the water small ripples, ok so i was under a bridge at the time with 6 inches top and bottom clearance so it didn't help and she went to davy jones locker!

Anyway i was going to suggest doing that part of your shot backwards? that way your going from water to hard / safe ground? then in post reverse thye shot and away you go

I have flown over water many times but usually about 10-12 ft. up. Never had an issue, but I would not take it that low I think you could be risking your drone.

I have flown over water several times at 12 to 18 inches and with the sensors on. It is very nerve racking. I do it at a good speed probably around 15 mph. Slower than that the sensors may cause you some problems. Going down a boat ramp presents a few problems. 1) The change in angle from the ramp to the water. With the sensors on they may see the water as an obstacle and the drone will just stop. Coming down at the water and leveling off worked for me maybe one out of 6 or 8 tries. The water was slightly rough but I haven't tried it on a very calm day. 2) Make sure you can be at the water level if you try it, not at the top end of the ramp. That will give you a much better idea of how much lift you will need and the timing you will need to keep the drone from just going into the water. 3) Practice on a grassy area first to get a good feel for it. It is much easier to do over grass but will give you some muscle memory to rely on. 4) I only tried it one time with no sensors on land trying to figure out which way was better. When I got to around 12 to 18 inches and flattened out, the M2P then dove straight into the dirt. I did fly over water without diving at about 2 to 2 1/2 ft without sensors and the drone kept wanting to drop so I have always kept my sensors on. With the sensors on, I have never seen a drop at a decent speed. If you try it that low make sure you are looking at water level. Once you are 20 ft. away over water at 1 ft. it will look like your drone is right on the water and it gets scary real quick. 5) Make sure you are willing to loose your drone before trying it. It is very exciting, fulfilling, and scary as can be. And that is when you get it right. When you get it wrong it is dejecting, scary, and expensive. Practice over land and after you can do it time after time practice twice as much and it will give you a fighting chance. Good luck!

Reactions: Camino Ken

Get a waterproof drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder