DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low-cost warfare: US military battles with ‘Costco drones

Articles of any sort tend to use exaggerated language, but the basic gist of those statements is accurate. A close relative of mine recently spent quite a bit of time working on U.S. government-sponsored studies on how to detect incoming drones quickly enough to be able to intercept and destroy them. There is simply not a solution to that yet. Drones can be made too quiet to detect by sound early enough at the speeds they are capable of flying. RF emissions from the motor pulses and microprocessor clocks can be shielded, and that same shielding can protect against defensive jamming. Drones can be preprogrammed to fly autonomously without having to send or receive control signals that would otherwise be detectable (or jammed). (Anybody still wonder why DJI isn't allowing autonomous flight control on their prosumer drones anymore?)

Drones can be programmed to fly evasively. They can be programmed to fly so low as to be either undetected or extremely difficult to target. They can be programmed to fly high overhead and drop things. They can be sent out in swarms of hundreds that do all of those things at the same time. A swarm of drones can be quickly moved, deployed, and launched from anywhere ... unlike whatever sophisticated defensive equipment you think the military might have.

You may prefer to think that our military has this all under control, but thankfully the military knows differently. They are definitely worried about the vulnerability and they are spending a LOT of money on the problem, but there really isn't a solution in sight yet. Even the defensive measures I've seen demonstrated (some of which, like the handheld net gun, border on being comical) cost tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to take down a single $500-ish drone.

We may eventually find a solution, but cheap drones are here now and at the moment "sitting ducks" seems like a more appropriate term than you think it is.
First, thanks for sharing your view point - I appreciate you taking the time.

As you've seen, I look at it a bit differently. For me, it's fine that we have differing points of view and to share them.

I understand what you're saying with some exceptions.
You saying motors / RF signals / processor clocks shielded, etc. And, quite frankly you are correct. However, the article clearly talks about cheap 'Costco drones.' Cheap drones don't have the shielding, autonomous or evasive programming capability or cluster flights or drop explosives...unless they are heavily modified...yes, it can be done, but, I think, it takes them out of the 'cheap' drone category.
Are they concerned about all of this? Sure, as they should be, no question. I also understand the ideal, most capable detecting, counter-offensive solution may not be in place right now, but I also don't believe our troops are completely defenseless. Being aware of this causes the troops to be on a more heightened state of alert.

Apart from this discussion, I don't like articles like this because once one internet ANYONE can read them, including the people trying to figure out how to make our troops miserable. An article like this can reinforce what they're doing or give them ideas on what to do.

The US conducted 14,040 (minimum) drone strikes in foreign countries in last ten years.
8858-16,901 Total Killed
910-2200 Civilians Killed

The article suggests that the US military is now facing a dire threat caused by $1,000 "Costco" drones. Personally, i would be far more concerned with giving enemies tens of millions of dollars worth of guns, artillery, mortars, trucks, planes, helicopters, uniforms, radios, night vision scopes etc. than a cinewhoop from costco. My understanding is that the attacks on the Saudi Arabia oil refinery and US barracks after Soleimani strike involved sophisticated drones and missiles built by nation states.

The US conducted 14,040 (minimum) drone strikes in foreign countries in last ten years.
8858-16,901 Total Killed

The article suggests that the US military is now facing a dire threat caused by $1,000 "Costco" drones. Personally, i would be far more concerned with giving enemies tens of millions of dollars worth of guns, artillery, mortars, trucks, planes, helicopters, uniforms, radios, night vision scopes etc. than a cinewhoop from costco. My understanding is that the attacks on the Saudi Arabia oil refinery and US barracks after Soleimani strike involved sophisticated drones and missiles built by nation states.

Good point.

8858-16,901 Total Killed

I'm sure that you will be shocked to learn that the US is also developing defenses against those platforms, but you should definitely contact JCS immediately to advise them that their priorities are wrong.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose