DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low noise prop cause abnormal gimbal vibration

jsflysrc

Reactions
Hi,

I cashed in my DJI points and ordered the low noise props. On the first test flight, I saw the gimbal vibrating immediately after taking off. The Go app then reported Abnormal Gimbal Vibration. I switched back to the original props and the problem went away. Put the LN props again. The problem came back.

I came in the house to type up this thread to ask for help. In the meantime, Go app said I need to update firmware (01.04.0000), so I did that. Before I can finished typing up my question (my wife was bugging me about some chores), the firmware updated completed. So I thought maybe I should give it another try. Sure enough the problem went away. I thought I might share this info anyway in case some one else has the problem.

P.S. I am pretty sure I installed the props correctly in the first 2 tests. But there may still be a chance that the firmware upgrade had nothing to do with the solution and that I may have done something else differently on the 3rd test.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
What version of the FW were you originally using? I've had no issues with the new props and .700 and .400 FW.

I had the same problem with the new props. First flight was fine, then on the second flight the gimbal started vibrating visibly as soon as I took off, with the same warning. This was on the latest firmware.

I’ve never had that warning or problem with the original props.

I’ve been working so much lately I haven’t had time to sort out the problem.

I had the same problem with the new props. First flight was fine, then on the second flight the gimbal started vibrating visibly as soon as I took off, with the same warning. This was on the latest firmware.

I’ve never had that warning or problem with the original props.

I’ve been working so much lately I haven’t had time to sort out the problem.

Oooo... This thread is going to get good...... A firmware update that didn't work, who would have guessed.

:p

I also had the same message pop-up once momentarily using the new props and firmware .700. First time I've seen it in a year of flying.
The message disappeared and the flight went normally without any anomalies in either flight handling or camera view.
Maybe a momentary wind gust and/or throttle setting causes the new props to induce a vibration or flutter in the Mavic that the gimbal can't handle.

Reactions: GooterFly68
Will be interesting to see if this manifests in the Platinum versions.. Maybe the ESCs are tuned differently? IDK -- too technical for me.

I tried them out today and had the same issue at the beginning of my flight, stopped and inspected the blades all looked good so I tried again. The vibration went away after a few low altitude maneuvers.

I'm thinking the hinges on the new props had to loosen up and allow the props to move into the proper spot with the centrifugal force maybe? Not sure but I'll keep a close eye on this when I fly again.

Also I'm on FW .400

Reactions: noobonthe^
Interesting theory. The hinges on mine do seem a bit snug.

It's funny; I am experiencing this issue now. Standard props with PP ND = No problems but when I added the low noise props, this notification started to appear. So, I took off the PP ND, and the vibration went away. A little trial and error made me think it was the filter, but after reading these comments, I'd have to think the props are what is causing this. At least for me.

Last edited:
I actually saw this as well with the low noise props but did not think it was related but now that I have flown them a little I don't see the vibration error lately.

This is enough info for me to stay away from the new props, though I wasn't very interested in them before. Just don't see the need for them.

Reactions: phantomi
Give them a good full battery flight to settle in and for the hinges to adjust. The blades are lighter at the ends and take more reves to balance fully.
As they have a little bit more pitch than original blades they also run at lower RPMs for same amount of lift so at hover you are a good 100 to 120 RPM less to center blades perfectly on hubs if a little tight.
All problems will rectify after a good full battery run.

Reactions: GooterFly68
Also experienced this yesterday when testing out new platinum props. They did not reduce the noise very noticeably. But they worked fine for a full run of a 60% battery. Then I went out a little bit later to fly, and experienced the abnormal gimbal vibration. Immediately swapped back to original props, no issues. Flew for a few minutes, landed, then switched back on the platinum props... vibrations gone. Very odd.

I woudn't "stay away" from the props based on this....as I never experienced the vibrations mid-flight. It was only on that 2nd flight, right after takeoff.

I do agree wth others, the hinges on these were definitely tighter/stiffer than normal.

However, I am probably going to just buy the platinum anyhow. Will keep or sell my original Mavic.

All in all if someone asked me should they buy them I'd say not really.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if this manifests in the Platinum versions.. Maybe the ESCs are tuned differently? IDK -- too technical for me.
The ESC's are indeed tuned differently, they are different ESC's alltogether if I remember correctly. This is why I think buying the battery and props isn't enough. DJI hasn't been clear on that as they want the extra sales. Accessories have big profit margins.

Hm, got my low noise props this weekend and tested them yesterday:
  • Almost immediately, noticed the yello/vibrations in the footage, but no warnings in the app. Flew half a battery and decided to land.
  • Removed the little plastic sticker with the yellow tab from the camera, as I wanted to make sure that that didn't cause the vibrations.
  • Put on the old non-low-noise props
Took off again, and... still the vibration problem with yello in the video footage... that sure pissed me off!
As there was a rainshower approaching, I landed and went back home.
  • Decided to update the firmware of the Mav to the latest version, I think it is V1.04 something?
  • Recalibrated IMU
  • Recalibrated controller
Didn't have time to test it yet, but will look into the smoothness of the LN prop hinges.
If that doesn't solve it, the I know what will. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as the latest status was that I had the vibration issues with both the old and the new props, whereas before I had never encountered these problems... :(

Yeah it happened to me again, but it seems to be vibrating immediately upon take-off and hover. Once you start flying around it seems to go away. Of the 3 times I had the abnormal gimbal vibrations, only once did the app warn me about it.

• Removed the little plastic sticker with the yellow tab from the camera, as I wanted to make sure that that didn't cause the vibrations.
Isn't that yellow tab behind the lens? I wondered about that when I got my mavic but didn't try to remove it due to its location. What's the story with that thing?

Re: the new props causing the gimbal to shake, how much must the quad be shaking to transmit it through the gimbal!

Isn't that yellow tab behind the lens? I wondered about that when I got my mavic but didn't try to remove it due to its location. What's the story with that thing?

Re: the new props causing the gimbal to shake, how much must the quad be shaking to transmit it through the gimbal!

It’s the same as all the other plastic stickers with yellow tabs that are on the Mavic when you buy it. They’re protective plastic to prevent scratches during shipping, which you remove when you unpack the Mavic.

Reactions: Craig M.Grice
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000