DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 conked from heat prostration while Mini 2 kept on chugging

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
If you're a pro, having backups is a requirement. I learned it once again the relatively easy way yesterday. Having a second drone saved me.

I was shooting a job and it was 97°F. It didn't feel that hot and I was on a time crunch so had my M2 and Mini 2 set up and ready to launch in a cordoned off spot. The controllers were on a table and covered by a reflective blanket. I didn't think to cover the drones. About 70 minutes into the session (not continuous filiming) it was time to wrap up with the last drone shots. So I sent my M2P up to capture the last shots and had no video feed at all though mercifully I had control and RTH worked perfectly. So while the M2 was landing (I had a dedicated VO btw) I was getting my Mini 2 ready to go up in the air. When the M2 landed it was hot. Hotter than normal, but having sat out in 90°+ heat one would expect that. The thing is that when I noticed the malfunction it hadn't been in the air for a minute or so. I would have expected the Mini 2 to conk out sooner.

The Mini 2 saved the day and captured everything perfectly, though the image on the M2 is decidedly better [in spite of the Mini 2 having 4k video].

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Drones are like vampires. They don't like the sun. We should paint the tops of our drones white, to prevent heat build up by the sun. Down here in florida, most people buy white cars. Any other color and you can't touch the car. But, white you can touch and they feel cool. The paint lasts way longer too. That 104F outdoor operating temp, in my opinion, is set a little too high, when the sun is added in the equation.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!

In hindsight and going forward, if I ever have to leave my drones out in the sun I will cover them with a sun shield. It's not a bad idea to keep one of those silver emergency blankets in your car for the blazing sun. I had actually covered my controllers on the table but hadn't realized how it it would get on the asphalt where my drones were staged. I also could have covered them with the landing pad as I really didn't need it for the purpose of launching and landing. This is the first time we've had this kind of heat since I got my drones last year.

If you're a pro, having backups is a requirement. I learned it once again the relatively easy way yesterday. Having a second drone saved me.

I was shooting a job and it was 97°F. It didn't feel that hot and I was on a time crunch so had my M2 and Mini 2 set up and ready to launch in a cordoned off spot. The controllers were on a table and covered by a reflective blanket. I didn't think to cover the drones. About 70 minutes into the session (not continuous filiming) it was time to wrap up with the last drone shots. So I sent my M2P up to capture the last shots and had no video feed at all though mercifully I had control and RTH worked perfectly. So while the M2 was landing (I had a dedicated VO btw) I was getting my Mini 2 ready to go up in the air. When the M2 landed it was hot. Hotter than normal, but having sat out in 90°+ heat one would expect that. The thing is that when I noticed the malfunction it hadn't been in the air for a minute or so. I would have expected the Mini 2 to conk out sooner.

The Mini 2 saved the day and captured everything perfectly, though the image on the M2 is decidedly better [in spite of the Mini 2 having 4k video].
I have 4 drones at this time. I got rid of my Mavic 2s and replaced them with the 6k and 8k EVO2s. I own 2 DJI's , The Mav2Air and The Air2S. I use the smaller DJI Air2S for indoors and the Mav2Air for backup. With the EVO2s The 8K is the backup unless the light levels are to low, then I take advantage of the Air2S 1 INCH sensor ie. its improved light sensitivity and it's 5.4k recording. The EVO2s cameras are much better than the Mav2s cameras in my opinion.

I wonder what DJI has instore for us regarding it's next generation drone ie. the new product beyond the Mav2 series. Can't wait to see what they are building.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98