DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 Pro Controller Battery Life Weak

PHZ

Reactions
I am the happy owner of a Mavic 2 Pro which has served me well since August of 2018.
BUT, the controller when fully charged, lasts maybe… 3 flight batteries. Then it is sub-20%. And, it is getting worse.

Is it possible to replace this battery? In a home shop? I am guessing it is a LiFe battery, and its endurance was never really great.
Can it be charged whilst flying?

Thanks.

I am the happy owner of a Mavic 2 Pro which has served me well since August of 2018.
BUT, the controller when fully charged, lasts maybe… 3 flight batteries. Then it is sub-20%. And, it is getting worse.

Is it possible to replace this battery? In a home shop? I am guessing it is a LiFe battery, and its endurance was never really great.
Can it be charged whilst flying?

Thanks.
My RC1/A has always discharged at about 30% per flight battery, so this doesn't appear outside the norm.
Yes, the battery can be replaced. It is a 2 cell lipo. A Chinese company named HSBAT still sell these as well as pre-assembled 4cell replacements for the flight battery cells complete with IFB board.
The battery isn't the only thing that can go on the Fritz with the RC1A - a sub section of the main board is dedicated to battery management, it isn't unusual for one or two of the micro capacitors to blow, this will lead to battery charging problems.
It is possible to use a power bank to charge while in use, the alternative video connection to phone/tablet comes from the large USB port where the sticks are stowed.

Last edited:
My RC1/A has always discharged at about 30% per flight battery, so this doesn't appear outside the norm.
Yes, the battery can be replaced. It is a 2 cell lipo. A Chinese company named HSBAT still sell these as well as pre-assembled 4cell replacements for the flight battery cells complete with IFB board.
The battery isn't the only thing that can go on the Fritz with the RC1A - a sub section of the main board is dedicated to battery management, it isn't unusual for one or two of the micro capacitors to blow, this will lead to battery charging problems.
It is possible to use a power bank to charge while in use, the alternative video connection to phone/tablet comes from the large USB port where the sticks are stowed.
Thank you!

Reactions: Felix le Chat
I have a similar issue with my M2P. Controller battery won't charge much above 80%, and then falls to 40% or so within five minutes of flight. I had pretty much the same issue two years ago, and DJI replaced my controller with a (used) controller for $79. I sent my current controller to DJI last week. This morning I got their repair report, and it now costs $209. They said the main board needs replacing:
"Dear Customer, After carrying out the damage assessment, we found that Remote Controller Main Board was malfunctioned, which caused disability to fully charged. As your product is out of warranty, we will provide a paid repair service to you. We'll either replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability, or repair it. For more information, please visit (After-Sales Service Policy - DJI)."
"

Thank you!
You're welcome. The 'charge on the go' routine with an 8,000 or 10,000mA power bank does work well, but it is a bit of a faff to set up. Best to get everything connected to the controller before you head out and have the controller/ screen on a lanyard over your shoulder for the last bit where you hoof it to TOAL.

Another good tip is to have a strip of velcro with hook stuck to the power bank and loop struck to the bottom of the controller.

Last edited:
If you want to replace the battery, here is a good instructional video on how to do it:

I have replaced the battery twice with batteries bought from Chinese companies on Aliexpress and ebay. They both do not seem to fix the quick discharge problem. When I bought the M2Pro brand new, I could get 3 flights through the controller with about 30% remaining. I can barely get through 2 flights with the "new" batteries. I have always had a Samsung galaxy phone which I know drains the controller battery faster through charging. I suspect that the batteries I bought were not new. Anyone else have this experience and know of a good retailer of good quality batteries?

I have replaced the battery twice with batteries bought from Chinese companies on Aliexpress and ebay. They both do not seem to fix the quick discharge problem. When I bought the M2Pro brand new, I could get 3 flights through the controller with about 30% remaining. I can barely get through 2 flights with the "new" batteries. I have always had a Samsung galaxy phone which I know drains the controller battery faster through charging. I suspect that the batteries I bought were not new. Anyone else have this experience and know of a good retailer of good quality batteries?
Already mentioned in post #2. You can find this company through AliExpress and the replacement batt pack is 4600mAh instead of 3950mAh (DJI factory fit). Used them a number of times and I find their products are top notch.
You'll probably find that your problem stems from the battery management chip on the controller main board. That's what screwed my original RC1A. Found that out after replacing the lipo power pack.

Already mentioned in post #2. You can find this company through AliExpress and the replacement batt pack is 4600mAh instead of 3950mAh (DJI factory fit). Used them a number of times and I find their products are top notch.
You'll probably find that your problem stems from the battery management chip on the controller main board. That's what screwed my original RC1A. Found that out after replacing the lipo power pack.
I ran a search and could not find company HSBAT. I did find HSABAT though and I'm assuming that is what you meant? I did read a bunch of reviews on their batteries and they were not the greatest. It sounds like you haven't had any issues with the ones you bought? The issue i'm seeing with my controller is that it charges to 100% but then slowly discharges itself while not in use. I could have sworn that the original battery did not do this. I know of others that have had the problem of not being able to charge to 100%. I'm just wondering if my controller can charge to 100%, would this be an issue with the battery management chip that you mentioned?

Reactions: waynorth

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne