DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P and M2Zoom: same iPad, 2 controllers--any concerns or tips?

pchaps

Reactions
Givens: M2 Pro, M2 Zoom, 2x_folding controllers, 1_iPadAir2, Go4, New M2 user/old homebuilt quad w/Taranis flyer
Needed: knowledge about using same ipad, any setting change, etc?

Im reading the manual, doing in-depth inspection of these two used drones, and now going through the menus. Discovered that the Zoom flight batteries had only 3 charges and was still under warranty! Crazy good.

I went through setup for the M2P and am ready to do same for the Zoom. Do I need to do anything special if I use the same iPad for both? They each came with a folding controller (I have one of each version).

Also I was wondering about backup and interchangeability of the controllers. Although I'm planning on keeping the sets separate, in a pinch can I use either controller with with either M2? --any pointers appreciated. Can the controller and Go4 distinguish between my 2 Pro and 2 Zoom?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited:
Good question. I use my iPad Air 2 for more than one device, but only one DJI drone. I'm guessing that DJI Go 4 would work for more than one aircraft (it doesn't state the AC name during startup until it detects which it is), but I would be concerned about the storage of flight-logs.

Does it keep them separate? Or is that not a problem because it identifies the AC in each log file?

I would be surprised if they didn't design, develop, and test for dual AC scenarios ... but not shocked.

Chris

Reactions: pchaps
Most of the settings are stored on the drone so the iPad will show how the connected drone is set up.
That said I would tend to keep the critical settings, such as the response to a disconnection, the same on both drones, it's not an area where you want confusion.
And just 'in case' make sure the CSC response is set to "breakdown" and NOT "always" or "anytime" or whatever the word if for the alternative.

Last edited:
@pchaps i have an I pad ,that i fly both my MM and MPP on,but of course they use different Apps ,someone should be able to give you a definite answer

Most of the settings are stored on the drone so the iPad will show how the connected drone is set up.
That said I would tend to keep the critical settings, such as the response to a disconnection, the same on both drones, it's not an area where you want confusion.
And just 'in case' make sure the CSC response is set to "breakdown" and NOT "always" or "anytime" or whatever the word if for the alternative.
Chris, your comment sent me down a rabbit hole to read about CSC and a crash by a forum member:
Crashed my Mavic 2 Pro because of CSC stick input settings :(
Now I see what you mean: CSC for motor shutdown even in mid-air can be set to "Emergency only," in Go4 for Mavic 2. Like others in that interesting thread, we had to wonder how DJI defines "emergency." Likely the flight controller knows that a motor has failed or propulsion is awry greatly due to missing prop, but somehow I doubt that the FC and software know that there is a flyaway, and a flyaway seems like an emergency when CSC-motors-off might be used to prevent a worse outcome. Thanks for the food for thought. I will keep CSC active all times in both aircraft, and I'm thinking "hover" in case of disconnect. Other than that, I almost peed my pants seeing camera feed and menus on the big screen of my iPad Air2 :)

Last edited:
I had a MP and M2P and flew them both from same iPad and never had any issues. Not at the same time 😀 But never had any issues with any of my drone settings.

we had to wonder how DJI defines "emergency."
That is the big question.
I will keep CSC active all times in both aircraft,
Uuuum I would suggest that you ONLY ever have it set to breakdown, the delay period in anytime/always is under 2 seconds and that is far, FAR, FAR, too short to risk leaving the option set to always/anytime.
There is a similar thing in the FLY app and I have done CSC a Mavic Mini with the option being set to the equivalent of "breakdown" and the motors did not stop, the drone descends in a controlled helix.
and I'm thinking "hover" in case of disconnect
I think hover is a bad idea for the normal disconnection setting because, if YOU can't move into range you are in difficulties ......though......ultimately it will end in a Low battery RTH,
I think RTH is the wisest setting for the response to a disconnection for normal flying .....thought read up on its behaviour, you might find it unexpected, It also explains why my first lost connection took a lllooooonnnnnggggg time to come home.

RTH height, I am to clear obstacles by 10m or so, anything more wastes battery in the climb and descent and may put the drone up into high wind, mind you it would have to be blowing some to trouble a M2P/Z.

Last edited:
That is the big question.

Uuuum I would suggest that you ONLY ever have it set to breakdown, the delay period i anytime/always is under 2 seconds and that is far, FAR, FAR, too short to risk leaving the option set to always/anytime.
There is a similar thing in the FLY app and I have CSC a Mavic Mini with the option being set to the equivalent of "breakdown" and the motors did not stop, the drone descends in a controlled helix.

I think hover is a bad idea for the normal disconnection setting because, if YOU can't move into range you are in difficulties ......though......ultimately it will end in a Low battery RTH,
I think RTH is the wisest setting for the response to a disconnection for normal flying .....thought read up on its behaviour, you might find it unexpected, It also explains why my first lost connection took a lllooooonnnnnggggg time to come home.

RTH height, I am to clear obstacles by 10m or so, anything more wastes battery in the climb and descent and may put the drone up into high wind, mind you it would have to be blowing some to trouble a M2P/Z.
I never thought about the delay time. Thanks for all the great info! I will ponder all these things. For years, Ive flown a large quad with CSC-stop always ready. For low battery, of course I had RTH. The issue with my current direction has to do with power grid locations where I will inspect. Reading flyaway horror stories on construction sites, etc. I believe Drone-U suggested 'hover in place' to a caller for an oil platform inspection at sea. Of course out there, with fire risk, hovering and then sinking into Davey Jones' locker may be preferable to the outcome of returning to home around all the metal structure and related interference, and the fire hazard.

Last edited:
I had a MP and M2P and flew them both from same iPad and never had any issues. Not at the same time 😀 But never had any issues with any of my drone settings.
Dirk, Thank you. I wonder what settings reside in the aircraft, and which ones are in the folding controller -and- then the iPad. For example, if I have to do a manual adjustment to level the gimbal in my pictures. Say I do that on the M2P -- will the same adjustment get applied errorneously to my Zoom?

Dirk, Thank you. I wonder what settings reside in the aircraft, and which ones are in the folding controller -and- then the iPad. For example, if I have to do a manual adjustment to level the gimbal in my pictures. Say I do that on the M2P -- will the same adjustment get applied errorneously to my Zoom?
Never had a zoom but think they would stay on your zoom. They
never changed between my MP or M2P.
But now I had different controllers . One for MP and one for M2P.
Didn’t use just one RC for both.
If I used one RC for both I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

Never had a zoom but think they would stay on your zoom. They
never changed between my MP or M2P.
But now I had different controllers . One for MP and one for M2P.
Didn’t use just one RC for both.
If I used one RC for both I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
I can use different RC's so it should be okay. Then I can experiment if needed. Thanks!

Reactions: dirkclod
Interesting how the initial CSC creates a downward spiral before motor stop.
It's better/neater in the slowest flight mode but if you think about it, in stick mode 2 you are commanding full reverse, descent, yaw and roll, so it's moving diagonally and turning at the same time, all whilst descending.
Though it has little time to execute things before the motors stop.
In breakdown mode you'd probably get a nice heilx, I did with the Mini, but I am not risking a Mavic 2 lol.

Back my original query, on the test bench, I have found that I can use the same iPad Air 2 and swap a folding A and B controller between the M2P and M2Z. All I have to do is re-link the aircraft to the controller. Test Flights to come.

If you want the make things interesting and if you share the interest with anyone, use the app for the linking process and link the A as the primary controller and then the B as the secondary controller. You can then use either controller during the same flight or both but if both controllers issue a command the primary takes precedence. Either controller can be used on their own, and that is with or without the other controller being on and or connected to the drone .......but the secondary has less access to control menus and that is irrespective of whether the primary is on.

Why did I say use the A as the primary?
A's create .DAT flight logs on the screen device, B's do NOT create .DAT flight logs. This may or may not be significant to you BUT the secondary DOES NOT create any flight logs on its screen device.

If you want the make things interesting and if you share the interest with anyone, use the app for the linking process and link the A as the primary controller and then the B as the secondary controller. You can then use either controller during the same flight or both but if both controllers issue a command the primary takes precedence. Either controller can be used on their own, and that is with or without the other controller being on and or connected to the drone .......but the secondary has less access to control menus and that is irrespective of whether the primary is on.

Why did I say use the A as the primary?
A's create .DAT flight logs on the screen device, B's do NOT create .DAT flight logs. This may or may not be significant to you BUT the secondary DOES NOT create any flight logs on its screen device.
I find that VERY interesting! Thanks!

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143